Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech week f100 hood sectioning (pie cut)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charger, Mar 4, 2011.

1. charger

charger
    from manitoba

A few months ago i sectioned my 55 f100 hood, removed 1 1/2 at the front of the hood, its a relatively easy job that can be done in a day.
    Tools needed:
    -mig or tig welder
    -butt weld panel clamps
    -masking tape
    -marker
    -hammer and dolly
    -grinder and cut off wheels

first thing with the hood removed there is an angle iron in the center of the hood which is spot welded to the hood hoop, these spot welds need to be removed, re-install the hood and lign it up to the cowl, make a mark with your marker at the center of the hood and on the cowl, do the same on each side of the hood, these serve as lign up marks which you will use later. tack weld a piece of scrap plate on each side of the hood and tack it to the cowl, this will hold your hood in place, i also ran an angle iron in the bottom center of the hood side to side and tacked into place
    [​IMG]
    at the back of the hood you want to measure and mark both sides of the hood equally upwards and put a mark where you want to do your cut.
    [​IMG]
    stole my wife`s cloth tape! you want to measure from the end of the hood to 3/4 of the way down the hood (or 41 shown on the tape) mark it and do this on both sides, this is only a reference point to measure up your hood.
    [​IMG]
    at this point lign up your tape with your last measurement and mark down 4 , 6, 8 inches, each side of the hood
    [​IMG]
    choose the amount you want to remove from the hood and get that width of masking tape, now run your masking tape from the back of the hood to the front using your rear mark and the 6 inch mark in the front, around the front to the other side.
    [​IMG]
    grab your grinder and cut off wheel and cut along the bottom of the tape all around the hood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    remove the top of the hood, disconnect the hood tension rods, cut and remove the rear hood hoop support
    [​IMG]
    re-install the top part of the hood, ligning it up with the marks you did on your cowl, lower the front of the hood to your desired height making sure there even on both sides by using your marks (4in & 8 in) drill a hole through both hood skins at the front center and fasten them in place with a screw
    [​IMG]
    both parts of the hood slid into each other
    [​IMG]
    what i did next is pushed both skins together (6 inch section each side) and marked the top part, took my grinder and cut out that section
    [​IMG]
    with my but weld panel clamps i ligned up both skins up, made sure my measurements were good and tacked both skins together both sides
    [​IMG]
    keep doing this on both sides until its all tacked up, if both skins do not quite lign up you might have to do some vertical relief cuts as seen in the picture
    [​IMG]
    the front is done the same way but material must be removed when doing the vertical cuts in the front rounded sections (pie cut)
    [​IMG]
    after hood was completely tacked up into place, you want to keep tacking around and inch at a time leaving the hood cool off so it dosent warp, until the hood is completely welded up.re-install your rear hoop hood support and rods, reweld your rear hood support angle to the hoop, and this is the look you get..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps someone else in the future, when i did this there was no info that i can find on how to do this.

2. 53choptop

53choptop

3. Well gee this looks like something someone might want to know.

4. Noland

Noland

Wow, thats a very nicely done hood I really like it. Alot of the hood I see seem to be overdone but this one is done right.

5. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Damn... I like that. I am building a panel, and that might fit right in if it doesnt clash with my long ass roof line. I'm too chicken to chop the top. It looks like your slanted your windshield ?? Or is that an illusion ? Nice work.

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

That's a big job...made easier with your post....Nice

7. That right there, is awesome!

8. uc4me

uc4me

heading out now to pick up some new cutoff wheels...awesome

9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet tech-if I ever get back to work on my '53 Chevy--

10. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

nice! great flow to the fenders

11. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

You'll be suprised at the difference in visibility off the end of the hood!! You can see at least a foot or so closer to the truck.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That I can use on my truck when I get that far. The next to the last photo is worth a lot in it's self. I was going along with the how is he making this work and then "smack" it hit me right there.

The best part of it is that it doesn't require any special tools or equipment outside of what 90% of us already have in the garage or tool box.

13. charger

charger
    from manitoba

truck is chopped but i didn`t slant the windshield, probably picture illusion, thanks everywone for the great comments!! here`s a picture this summer of the truck without the hood sectioning
    [​IMG]
    was kinda scary to do this at first, but the end result it sure improved the look of the truck!

14. parklane

parklane

Excellent post. Will remember this one!

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Very interesting ! Looks very nice too !

Retro Jim

16. charger

charger
    from manitoba

17. The way you did it makes sense, and looks doable . the pics take the mystery out of the job. Thanks for a great post!

18. reaper71

reaper71

Hell yeah!!! nice job looks fast standing still!!

19. willymakeit

willymakeit

It looks good. I just finished doing the same on my 56. Actualy put the 2K on it this week end.Have pics but havent figured out how to post them. Worst area for me on the hood was around the hinges. I ve watched your posts ,nice truck. Thinking about cutting the top 1'' to take the uphill slant out of it. The wedge cut makes them look alot better.

20. charger

charger
    from manitoba

the wedge definately makes it look better especially with the chop, its a lot of work but will definately be worth while when done!

Thanks!, yeh it was my first hood i did and it actually turned out! kinda got scared a few times!!

thanks!

21. Sando

Sando
    from Burbank CA

Thanks for the post, Looks great

22. 56Fromm

56Fromm

Nice job, i look forward to doing mine shortly and your notes and photos will help

23. Tacson

Tacson

Really nice and thanks for the post.

24. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Thats awesome! Now i'm wondering how it would look on my cornbinder....

25. Good post! Hope I didn't miss something but how about a before and after profile shot?

26. chevy3755

chevy3755

very nice.......thanks for the tech

27. charger

charger
    from manitoba

Thanks guy`s!!, here`s a picture a while before the pie cut

[​IMG]

28. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

I like the truck do you have any new pics

29. charger

charger
    from manitoba

sorry, not at this time, i took a year off building the truck to get life and my garage organized.

30. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

I can understand that