Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
Jive-Bomber
Alliance Member

Default Stopping at the Shoe Tree...

I just read that the old Shoe Tree on Highway 50 in Nevada got cut down by some dirtbags around Christmas time. What does a weird old cottonwood tree full of dirty shoes have to do with hot rods? Well, that tree was the traditional stopping point for...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Jobe

Default Re: Stopping at the Shoe Tree...

That's a bummer. I saw it many years ago on a mountain biking trip to Moab and Colorado. I crossed in the middle of the night though, I think I passed two cars in my whole journey. Stopped once, sat out on the hood and did some star gazing, you can see the satellites orbiting...it was awesome.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nothing beats a long drive in an old car, down an old highway.
That bites about the shoe tree. San Diego has a legendary shoe tree; in Balboa Park's frizbee golf course area. It sets right in front of one of the tees. You have to shoot through it to get down a long fairway, and inevitably someone from your group will get their disc "kicked" which is always a big laugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoe tree.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1249542  
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
prttyplymouthgal
Grenade Inspector

Such a bummer.Damn Dirt Bags gotta ruin everything
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
terry48435

We stopped there on our Harleys on a trip back from Eureka,California in '05. We rode almost the whole length of Route 50. Sure was a neat sight when we stopped for a break. We also stayed at a gas stop/ motel that was in the middle of nowhere,They had a large sign shaped like the pony express rider David Mann did for "Easy Rider" magazine out front. Great trip.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
MikeRose

There is a really cool one near here too. Only it's full of all sorts of weird and random things, not just shoes.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
GARY?

Yeah, It really bummed me out to find out the tree was gone too. It really was a landmark on the drive to Salt Lake. Was hoping to get a pic of my Model T in front of it this year.

Here's another shot of the tree from 2010.
For those that know Austin, NV here's a pic of the Mayor's Model T.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shoe tree.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1249559   Click image for larger version

Name:	the mayor's T.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1249560  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Skeezix

Man we drove 50 for every trip in the 1970s - pretty quiet and on the last trip I did solo in 2004. Sad .... really sad
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Bullet Nose

Who the heck is planting these things? What about the one on Rice Road that used to be there? There was also another related species planted there, a bra tree.

"REAL" lowered cars don't have air bags or hydraulics!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
exwestracer
Old School HAMBer

There was also one on 395 between Susanville and Alturas CA. Started in the 1920s. It was cut down overnight in 1994 or 95 IIRC.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Nose View Post
Who the heck is planting these things? What about the one on Rice Road that used to be there? There was also another related species planted there, a bra tree.
It doesn't really matter who planted the first tennis shoe or first bra it's one of those things where the tree took on it's own personality and a lot of friends who stopped for a short visit on their way by and one or two jerkwads who get their kicks by destroying something that others enjoy or find useful for one reason or another.
Around the area it's the idiot with the 4x4 and log chain who pulls out the "stop ahead" signs on the dirt roads behind my house every three day weekend when he comes home from college or where ever the guy only comes home on three day weekends from.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
34hemipu
Grenade Inspector

WTF ! What is wrong with some people ! Doing something like this does take some planning and effort . Maybe put it to some good use AS@#$%S ! I gotta cut back on the coffee.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
steel rebel
Alliance Member

The bra tree. Or bush. On Route 66.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0631.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	1249572  
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
shanesflames
Grenade Inspector

Yea we had one, it was somewhere near Moro county, out of biggs Jt. in Oregon...some one burnt it down last year...it was known for, trading better boot than u had on..
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
RileyRacing
Old School HAMBer

We have one here too, and after reading the above posts I'm not divulging where, for obvious reasons.

I'm sorry to see someone took yours away.

Ours even has a backstory- that the shoes were the victims of the "Smiley Faced Killer"...
When we were in HS- (90-93)- the house closest to the tree used to have a 70's style 'smiley face' painted on the garage door. If the door was open, the 'killer' was out making his rounds (you ALWAYS visited the shoe tree at night)- if it was closed, he was at home. The shoes were the only thing left of his 'victims'.
Ironically, we were driving home from Ypsilanti on Christmas Eve last year, when my youngest son, who's 6, asked to go to the shoe tree. I've never been there in the winter time, so said why not... we got close to it and he started to second guess his request... especially when I parked under it and opened the moonroof! I told him I was trying to see Santa in the sky, but he didn't buy it.

The other local landmark that we'd visit was the 'Denton Road Bridge', which apparently was visited by 'aliens' when my parents were in HS. The bridge is out near the very edge of Wayne county, which from my parents place in Redford is about 18 miles or so, but back in the 60's probably seemed alot further. They used to go out there to look for 'aliens' but we knew it as a place where legend had it that a young couple (in the 1960's ) stopped to 'make out' after a prom. The story is that they kept hearing a scraping noise on the roof, and after awhile the young miss got scared and sent Romeo out to find out what it was. After he was gone awhile, she got curious too, and got out of the car, only to find him hanging from the tree upside down, dead of course, and as his body was swinging from the tree it was his class ring that was doing the scraping on the roof. :0
When I was in HS, a girl who was a very good friend of mine lived in the house that the bridge was on. It could be spooky at night, but if you went in the daytime, it's where the hoods would go to smoke and look at Playboys. Sadly, it met it's demise about 10 years ago, when the roads were paved (and turned into 4 lanes) and they built a couple thousand houses in what used to be cornfields. To be honest, I don't know which is scarier... :P

JK
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
prttyplymouthgal
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel rebel View Post
The bra tree. Or bush. On Route 66.

Love this!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
justanotherguy
Grenade Inspector

Yeah Jay, I was genuinely pissed and sad when I read that too. The replacement "Steel" tree that some are proposing won't be the same. Too bad we can't throw our shoes at the morons that cut the tree down.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
aar0s
Grenade Inspector

there is 'sposta be one over by Evansville, Indiana. Somewhere down by the horse track.
sucks that you cant have nuttin nice, nuttin sacred because some dirtbag will think it's funny to destroy it.
one day he'll be in a bar bragging about cutting down the tree and the wrong person will hear it.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Big A
Alliance Member

We had one here a long time ago, it was created by a friend of mine. It started to get really popular and get written up in the newspaper etc., people stopped to get their photos taken and add to it. My friend got peeved that other people were abusing his creation so one night he went and cut it down, and of course there was a huge public outcry. That was close to 30 years ago and people are still mad about it.

My shoebox build... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626123
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
paperdog
Alliance Member

hmmm the last heels ruined its sole....
where the shoes and potential bio hazard now. is the fungus .. among us?