Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original 30 rear brakes modified.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe_of_Frankfurt, Feb 23, 2011.

1. After a while of trail and error we managed to install a stock ATE wheel cylinder in the original 30 backing plates while leaving all the original brake mechanism, rods and linkage in place to operate the hand brake. Beside the brake lines, everything looks stock model A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hidden connection:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New brake pads and..
    [​IMG]

...new hand brake band:
    [​IMG]

Greased, painted, done:
    [​IMG]

The original rod still in place and functioning:
    [​IMG]

Anti rattle spring. Neat:
    [​IMG]

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

izzat gonna werk?
    wot about bleeding?

3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

What type cylinder did you use?
    pistion diameter?

4. It looks tight in the picture, but there's comfortable space for drain hose and wrench.

5. It is an ATE part used in later Volkswagen and Porsches. The inner cylinder diameter is 19mm, as a test, 17 and 22mm are available as well with the same outer dimensions and maybe I'll exchange them after testing.

I can't give you the collar diameter of the cylinder right now. We got a hub machined for that, which welds into the original backing plate.

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Den wollt ich wissen.
    Micha

7. Ich werd's Dir posten, a.s.a.p.

8. GARY?

GARY?

That is slick.

I'd like to see what the old Tommy Orr roadster brakes look like inside. The were doe in a similar fashion in the early 50's I believe.

9. How will they bleed with the cylinder on its side? It looks like the bleeder is in the middle of the cylinder.