Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A pickup (re) Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott mckelvey, Feb 19, 2011.

1. EDIT***I just started looking back at the first posts. I forgot that my original intention was only to change a couple of things and clean up what needed to be cleaned up. That's no longer the case as it's been over a year already and the car is completely apart. Funny how quickly things escalate.***

Always wanted to build a hotrod, mainly a model A. Time, temporary space (and space overall), tools, impatience etc made it difficult, so I focused mainly on old harleys over the years. After finishing the shitty stuff on a '66 El Camino (another car that was never supposed to be a project at all) that I started, I had a child and sold it for practical reasons. It was a relief to have one less project, but then I stumbled on a Model A truck that was exactly what I wanted, sans the quick and dirty workmanship (I'm no artisan, but this didn't even qualify as utilitarian). The bones were/are good and I rationalized it by telling myself this was the solution to having even less time given the newborn. The intent was to do nothing but enjoy it, which lasted as long as the trip home when I only started to pick apart all the issues and bullshit. So, like most projects, what I told myself would never be a project is full blown project.

The day I brought it home. A break in the weather: still below freezing, but at least no rain or snow. Some ugly and hokey stuff adorned it: sort of a Ronald Macdonald theme with a hood that didn't fit. No info about who built it, but I met one person that said he knew the guy, and that he built it to be a "real ratty truck": well, mission accomplished! And to the credit of the guy that had it a short time and sold it to me (he was not the builder), he advertised it as a "real rat rod".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. First order of business was to remove the doo-dads. For example, rat rod signs as inner door panels, "ace of spade" stickers, a sword that was welded to the shifter and caused the trans to shift every time I hit a bump in the road, and the spider on the air cleaner: both proudly emblazoned with "made in china", etc. Finish welding the exhaust and put some turnouts on so I didn't get sick everytime I drove it. Next was to do something about the color, poor paint, and horrendous wiring and fuel lines in the engine compartment.

Since I had the front mostly apart at this point, I decided that I'd concede to the fact that I hated the grill and allow myself this one change. One thing led to another, and something as simple as the grille has led to one thing after another.

I wanted a 30 or 31 shell, and stock looking radiator. B/c of the channel I had to have one made, which worked out well b/c then I got all the other features that I wanted so there won't be any jury rigging. So, Brassworks sent me a radiator to fit the Cad 390 and a 30 shell that I picked up. The shell also had to be cut to fit over the cross member to match the channel on the body, but I wanted to keep the full length and didn't want to see the gap.

I also wanted to run a hood top for all-weather reasons and picked one up locally, and as a result had to figure out a clean and simple way to mount it, redo the alternator mount, hoses, etc. Also had to replace the radiator support rods as they were now too short, so I threaded some stainless 5/16" round to replace the existing supports. Still have to finish headlights mounts and figure out a fan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  3. Since this is to be a driver, turnsignals and the like were a must, especially here in the city. I used the run of the mill 7" H-4 replacements w/ turn signal bulbs in the front. The rear I pressed out the lower socket in the Model A housing and replaced it w/ an 1157 dual filament socket (same diameter), and wired the turn signal to the brighter of the 2 filaments. Now I have brake, turn, and running lights all in the same housing. Since I already had flashers installed I simply used a large toggle switch for the signals, which I prefered over the clamp on aftermarket units. And it's tied into another DPST switch mounted under the dash for the hazards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. GAUGES: truck had a well done 51-52 Buick dash and original gauges but nothing was really hooked up or necessarily worked. And there's a cheap auto-meter cluster mounted under the dash. I wired all of the indicators, got a speedo cable, only to find that none of the gauges worked. Today I got quotes to repair/replace them: far more than I can justify and expected, so now I'm dealing with those. Started on the Speedo. After disassembly and some lube it's working like a champ (trans end is another story perhaps). And now it's pretty too.

As I suspected, the actual gauges aren't all that different inside. This is a sunpro voltmeter in place of the ammeter. Only slight modification required. Still need to paint the needle and the marks I stamped in the face. Also in this housing is the Temp gauge, which was butchered. I'm going to try the repair at http://www.ply33.com/repair/tempgauge tomorrow using the original gauge and Autometer sending unit. I figure I've already saved b/t 300-500 bucks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

5. looking better already, good to see you got rid of that butt ugly grille. plenty of potential tho, looks like a nice solid body. good to see another car de- r@t rodded.

BTW theres no such thing as an old car that you can just drive, they all need to be fixed/repaired or just amde your own.

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

What an improvement all ready. I can't believe someone would run that ugly ass grille.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

neat lil parts getter , i like the 30 grill shell much better

8. Potential galore.

That grill was '48 Diamond T but just wasn't working for me. I'm trying to find a good home for it b/c the castings are all in good shape and someone could probably use it.

Body is pretty solid. although there are patches on the bottom and they were done quick and dirty like the rest of the truck (which shouldn't have surprised me), which I found out last night when I started removing paint from the chop and the areas that looked funny. Going to have to redo the patches I guess. And the chop needs a little more work.

Attached Files:

9. voodoo1

voodoo1

Good work. Looks alot better.

10. I'm sorta bouncing around with this right now, and thinking over one thing as I starts and stop on another. Got the drivers side door aligned and started actually welding the floor in the cab (it was for the most part just tacked in a couple spots). I'm torn about redoing the firewall. I could reclaim close to 3" of leg room (which I could use) and make it alot nicer. Fixed the door gap by shimming the firewall (just like everyone says: thanks HAMB for the info).

As for chop, now I can see what I'm dealing with after removing the plates inside and the bondo on the outside.

Attached Files:

11. Good save. What kind of asshole paints a Caddy motor yellow and red :confused:

Looking forward to seeing your progress

12. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

"sort of a Ronald Macdonald theme with a hood that didn't fit."
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    NOW THAT SHIT IS FUNNY!!!! HOPE THE GUY WHO BUILT THIS TRUCK AS A HAPPY MEAL NEVER READS THIS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! NICE SAVE!

13. Finished the radiator and shell mounting for the most part. Rolled into the daylight to check out the grill.
    [​IMG]

Took the bed off to begin a subframe, mount the gas tank, battery tray and some. Began some hammer and dolly work on the cab while I ponder the sheetmetal patches, and whether to redo the firewall and front half of the floors.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

15. Started the subframe for the bed (in absentia before). Early Mustang tank fits like it was made for the space. Battery should fit nicely in front of the cross member.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  16. Started fixing the bed. Front half of the lower sides were toast. Also a chance to clean up the relief cuts in the side covers to fit over the frame at the crossmember.

Attached Files:

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

God bless ya for turning a turd into a treasure! Good karma brotha!

18. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

That is great to see!
    Makes me want to do more on mine.

Suscribed!

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Man you turned that truck around right QUICK. Good job so far!

20. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

lookin good, the A grill looks great.....

21. your after my heart, I'm real weak for a "fenderless" A pickup! Love the stance, wheels, chop hell the whole thing! keep up the good work.

Fenderless

22. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

You sold your child?

23. shortypu

shortypu

Man a few details sure make a difference.Your pic's have inspired me to buy this truck from a buddy.I had been wanting a 30/31 sedan and my friend has had this truck for awhile and i never was really interested until i seen yours.I hope you don't mind if i use yours as a model.

Attached Files:

24. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Shorty it's interesting you said you wanted a sedan:D That's a '31 "Slant windshield" fordor sedan shortened up into a pickup cab.

25. I'm by no means an expert on these cars or anything for that matter, but that looks like a slant window converted to a closed cab pickup. Hopefully someone else will chime in if I'm wrong, but that seems pretty cool to me. If the price is right, i'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I'm partial to trucks b/c I frequently need to haul a bike or parts around. Plus I just like them. Although as many have pointed out, the cab is pretty small if stretching out is your thing. I'm 5'10" and it's tight, although I'm redoing the firewall and the pedals which should buy me a couple of inches. And of course Z'ing the frame, instead of simply channeling the cab would make a difference, but I won't be doing that.

26. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Good move on the grill shell and hood.The little truck is looking great.

27. oldman2

oldman2

Pickup looks so much better with the "A" shell. Your doing wonders with all the rest, great save and keep going.

28. cretin

cretin

Thank you for saving that truck.

29. Butch11443

Butch11443

Looks a lot better. You made some really good improvments.
    Butch