Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

Default how do YOU bleed brakes?

I hate bleeding brakes. always have.

just did my 61 dodge last night. used a piece of rubber hose in a beer bottle, had my buddy pump while I bled. my hose fell off twice and squirted brake fluid all over me, and I managed to let the master cylinder run dry once which let air back in.

I had those one way brake bleeder valves in one of my other cars. those seemed to work OK.

it was getting late and I had enough brakes to stop the car so we quit for the night. ( not driving it yet) still need to go back and give it a few more tries, plus I really think I need to flush out some of the crud in there so the fliud comes out clean.

lucky for me I have a lift, so I wasn't rolling around on the floor doing this, but it is still a pain in the ass.

what do you guys do, and do you have any special equipment like bleeder hoses that won't pop off when you least expect it.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
umassjj
FNG

Default Re: how do YOU bleed brakes?

I use a Mityvac. And even then, sometimes I'll yell from underneath the vehicle for my wife to come outside and step on the brakes a bit. Between those two, no problems.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
BADBIRDCAGE

I vacuum bleed, starting closest to master cylinder and proceeding away to farthest. I use one of the hand vacuum pumps. Has always done me well.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
SLAMIT

get or make a pressure bleeder. the best thing ever. Oh and they make hose ends that are specifically for fitting on bleeder screws.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ratfink View Post
I hate bleeding brakes. always have.

just did my 61 dodge last night. used a piece of rubber hose in a beer bottle, had my buddy pump while I bled. my hose fell off twice and squirted brake fluid all over me, and I managed to let the master cylinder run dry once which let air back in.

I had those one way brake bleeder valves in one of my other cars. those seemed to work OK.

it was getting late and I had enough brakes to stop the car so we quit for the night. ( not driving it yet) still need to go back and give it a few more tries, plus I really think I need to flush out some of the crud in there so the fliud comes out clean.

lucky for me I have a lift, so I wasn't rolling around on the floor doing this, but it is still a pain in the ass.

what do you guys do, and do you have any special equipment like bleeder hoses that won't pop off when you least expect it.
Ratfink
I have been using a power bleeder that I got from NAPA about 10 years ago. Its called a MightyVac cost me about 14 bucks back then. it works like a champ. You plug it on and squeeze a little handle it dumps into a jar so you can go back and dump it back into the master cylinder if you want.

I have a real expensive one in the big tool box that belonged to the Ol' Man but I have never used it.

Power bleeder is the only way to go.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

get my wife to push the pedal, do it outside, rinse everything off with the garden hose when I'm done.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
DRUGASM

Midas?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
PhilJohnson

For me it depends on the location of the master cylinder. If it is up on the firewall I gravity bleed. I crack all four and walk away for a while, checking up the fluid level of the master cylinder every 10 minutes or so and add as needed. I then surf the net, or eat a snack. After about an hour or so I tighten them up and viola, I'm ready to roll. If the master is under the floor boards I can't be quite so lazy. I have to find a willing helper and bleed the brakes the old fashioned way.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
gimpyshotrods
Old School HAMBer

Jar, hose, and helper. Same way my Grandfather showed me how to do it as a wee lad. Never a problem, yet.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
bobss396
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
get my wife to push the pedal, do it outside, rinse everything off with the garden hose when I'm done.
Wives are good for something once in a while... once you educate them on the fine points of brake bleeding.. more reason to keep them around aside from standing around and looking pretty...

Mine has been the pedal person for the last 25 years or so.

Bob
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
chubbie

i use a large syringe from the veterinarian and a peice of small hose. 2- 3 dollars, and works 10 times better than a mighty vac.!!!! now if your MC is on the fire wall finish with gravity. open the MC and crack the bleeders one at a time. let them drip s l o w l y. if none of this works, you may still have a leak somewhere
Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #12
rustyford40

I use a hand held vacuum pump. And I start at the furthest away from the master cylinder.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Johnny1290
Old School HAMBer

FWIW I've tired the 2 person pumping method, mity vac, power suction compressor driven deal, and finally I just use speed bleeders and a plastic coke bottle with some plastic hose I got from home depot for a few bucks.

I just do the slow strokes and keep an eye on the mc level.

I used to hate bleeding brakes, but since i've had to do it a million times converting my rears to disc and switching masters, etc I've gotten so I can knock it out pretty quick.

Actuallyl I still hate doing it I'm just faster

With a new master after I've bench bled it(I use these plastic syringes from riteaid to inject fluid into the ports-works for me since i've never had any luck with those damn hoseback into the reservoir-always shoots everywhere) basically I can just pump each corner until the reservioir has gotten close to empty once or twice, loook under the car and make sure the lake of fluid isn't too huge and it looks like the air bubbles are gone-and keep going around.

I'm still pissed at how fast my $30 mityvac fell apart , and those stupid 1 man brake bleeding kits from the parts store that don't hold any fluid at all and always fall off the dumb magnet.

Speed bleeders continue to be the best money I've ever spent when it comes to brake systems. Genious, those things are.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Johnny1290
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbie View Post
i use a large syringe from the veterinarian
I got one off ebay for a horse, cost $5 or so. I use it on the MC but didn't think about trying it out on the wheel cylinders. Gotta be better than that damn mityvac!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

seems like I had a mighty vac around here somewhere, but last time l used it to check a vacuum advance it was all vacuumed out.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ratfink View Post
seems like I had a mighty vac around here somewhere, but last time l used it to check a vacuum advance it was all vacuumed out.
I would gladly loan you mine but I never leave my neighborhood.

My little brother used to crack all his bleeder valves rock the peddle to get it started and then go away for a few hours. But that won't work on one with the master under the floor board. I don't recall him ever owning one with the master under the floor, he liked '60s cars.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 02-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

cut em with a sharp knife.

serioulsy though, I have never needed to use a Vac. to bleed brakes in my life.

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
davedeltadog
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
For me it depends on the location of the master cylinder. If it is up on the firewall I gravity bleed. I crack all four and walk away for a while, checking up the fluid level of the master cylinder every 10 minutes or so and add as needed. I then surf the net, or eat a snack. After about an hour or so I tighten them up and viola, I'm ready to roll. If the master is under the floor boards I can't be quite so lazy. I have to find a willing helper and bleed the brakes the old fashioned way.
I'm with you brother, just open the bleeders and walk away for a while and it takes care of itself.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
brad2v
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyshotrods View Post
Jar, hose, and helper. Same way my Grandfather showed me how to do it as a wee lad. Never a problem, yet.
Yup, my method too. EVERYONE in my house ('cept the dogs) are well versed in the 'pump', 'hold', 'okay' commands. My stepdaughter has been helping me bleed brakes since she was strong enough to push the pedal.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
chaddilac
Old School HAMBer

Whatever you do don't take the Drums off while bleeding!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
headrust
FNG

Try this
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...eder/index.htm
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #22
Iceberg460

Pressure bleeder (BG brake flush machine) for me. Seals to the M/C cap and forces brake fluid through the whole system. Start cracking the bleeder on the RR, then LR, RF, then LF wheels. Takes all of 5 minutes to flush out all the old fluid and air from the system, or about 1 min. to blead one wheel if thats all your doing.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #23
oldolds

I use a piece of hose that fits the bleeder. ( window washer hose) Run it into a clear jar, half full of brake fluid. Open the bleeder and pump the brakes till no bubbles come out. 99% of the time it works. No helper involved. All stuff from the scrap pile.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
MAD MIKE
Grenade Inspector

Tried the two man, I've never been able to get a helper who 'gets it'. Communication always seems to fall apart. How hard is it to get the ole " Open... Down... Closed... Up" chatter going? Apparently its very hard.
Gravity bleeding has worked for me in the past, but it just takes all damn day. I finally broke down and bought a Lisle brand vacuum pump with the one man bleeder kit. With the exception of having to break down the pump every now and then to clean it and relube it with mineral oil, its trouble free.

I learned the hard way a couple of times that some MCs even when new, can be failed by bottoming out the piston If the piston in the MC is pushed beyond its normal travel the built up crud, where the piston normally does not travel, can tear up the seal. With a new MC, depending on the port configuration, the freshly machined bore may have a port with a slight lip that can slice the seal. Depending on the amount of pedal travel I put a 2x4 or 4x4 under the pedal to prevent bottoming out.

If the car has a booster, I pump the brakes to remove the assist. I then take a mental note of how hard/soft the pedal is. If I'm feeling really anal, I'll measure pedal travel.
Before even touching the brakes I make sure that none of the wheel cylinders are not leaking or wet. And check the bleeder screws as well. They will often be full of crud and will need to be removed and cleaned before you can bleed the brakes.
-Pop open the MC, and with a turkey baster, remove all the old fluid from the reservoir, and remove all the crud at the bottom.
-Refill the MC with new quality fluid, don't ever reuse old, or opened bottles of brake fluid.
-Starting at the wheel farthest from the MC I begin to bleed. RR, LR, RF, LF.
-The small cup that comes with the bleeder kit is just the right size. Once it's full it's time to top off the MC again.
-I keep bleeding the longest run first, until no more crud is floating in the fluid. Even if the fluid is clear there will still be bits of junk, rust, crap floating. The clear hose is key for this.
-Once clean/clear fluid comes out, I switch to the LR from the RR. Then run up front to the RF and finally LF.

Things that have bitten me in the ass over the years:
-Helpers who can't keep track of what to say or do.
-Bottoming out the MC.
-Purchasing a 'rebuilt' MC over a new unit, or R&R'n the old one myself.
-Not checking the bleeder screws are clear.
-Not checking the self adjusters are working correctly. You will always get a soft pedal if the adjusters crapped out.
-Not making sure the wheel cylinder pistons/cups move freely.
-Using old hose to bleed the brakes, and it does not seal against the nipple.

The three things you need to check for with the vacuum pump/bleed cups.
Make sure the pump is well lubed and capable of pulling 20inHg.
Make sure the hoses used for bleeding have not hardened or softened.
Make sure the bleeder cups lid seals to the cup, a bit of wheel grease helps there.
Never let brake fluid enter the vacuum pump.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
gimpyshotrods
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddilac View Post
Whatever you do don't take the Drums off while bleeding!!!
Oh sure, now you tell 'em!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
yblock292
Alliance Member

i too hate bleeding brakes, best i've found , welded a air hose nipple in the top of a junk MC lid, put about 5 PSI in it, and go around and crack the bleeder valves,works great but gotta be careful not to run outta brake fluid while you do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
Lone Star Mopar
Old School HAMBer

Location: standing in the shadows and pissing in the punch bowl...

Quote:
Thats my method, I also find the brake fluid helps to clean the oil off the driveway from last months oil change !
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #28
henryj429
Alliance Member

I did my Zephyr on the weekend. I did all 4 with the Mityvac first, then had my wife help to re-check them all the old way. The mityvac gets the bulk of the air out quick, but it won't find a leak because it will suck air through the leak rather than drip fluid. With the old way, a leak become obvious very quickly.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
vtx1800
Alliance Member

Check out Headrust's post and make your own pressure bleeder, his link described almost exactly the same thing that I did about three years ago. He got a better price on some of his parts so he assembled it a little cheaper but came up with basically the same device. Good Job Headrust!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
Merlin
Alliance Member

I used to do the two person thing but I use speed bleeders on everything now.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
28pontiac
Grenade Inspector

I used to use the Mityvac... Now I have a vacuum generator I scrounged that I hook up to the air compressor. It uses the Bournouli (SP?) effect to create vacuum. I use the small tank from the Mityvac, put the wrench on the bleeder, the hose on the bleeder and open the ball valve lightly. Wait about a minute, watch for bubbles to stop, refill the MC, and repeat for each wheel. It takes only a few minutes to do all four wheels, and requires no hand pumping, because I'm lazy like that...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
budd
Old School HAMBer

i have a multi-vac, made a pressure bleeder from a garden sprayer, but i like useing two people, you really need to explain to a new helper what it is you want, i tell them to pump it up, that means pump it fully to the floor and let all the way off, they do this like 5 times, then i say hold, they have to keep the pressure on and i mean lots of pressure, i open the bleed screw and they say to the floor, i close the bleeder, i yell ok, they rest, but if i have no one around i use a nice stick and a good strong rubberr bungy cord, i sting it up like a bow and arrow useing the steering wheel, i get in and pump up the brakes thenkeep the pressure on with my stick setup, then you know for sure none is goofing off on you..lol..as for the hose fitting just make sure it does. i find if you dont get a really good blast air can get traped in a loop.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #33
bulletproof1

i open one bleeder at a time and let them bleed ....when the fluid is clear and no more bubbles ,i open another valve...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
BLUDICE

I pretty much do everything by myself - (that didn't sound right - did it) - anyway my jack handle is the exact length when the brake pedal is all the way down I slip it down on the pedal one end and the other end against the edge of the seat. It takes alittle longer, but I don't have to hear any "are you done yet" or "I'm getting tired, can I go in now"?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #35
cosmo
Old School HAMBer

I think this is two for the Phoenix Injector:
http://www.phoenixsystem.com/company/index.htm
Though it didn't quite push through the fronts on my Cad., it's a trooper on most everything.
Gravity is another method I've used as well, even on ABS cars...

Cosmo
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #36
thecarfarmer

The first shop I worked at had a pressure pot that would force fluid into the system through the cap you clamped on top the master cyl. Worked well, but there's always the potential for a real 'goat rope' to occur when you're in a hurry.

You'd be surprised how fast brake fluid comes out from under that cap with 30 psi behind it.

I bought one of those vacuum bleeders (the one you plug into an air hose) from the tool truck. Worked slick. The only problems are that you can't visually see when the brake in question is bled (sucks some air where the hose goes on he bleeder), and of course, you have to drag the air hose over.

At the second shop I worked at, the boss saw me bleeding brakes, and said "lemme show you something," as he unplugged the air hose from my bleeder. He topped off the master cyl, went and stroked the pedal a few times, then moved on thru the rest of the wheels I hadn't done.

I kid you not, the bubbles would come out about four inches down the tube when the pedal dropped, and maybe one when it went back up. And, you could see when there were no more bubbles.

Actually turned out to be faster; it's the way I've done it ever since. You don't need the vacuum thingy; several feet of clear hose, and a jar does it. And, you don't need a helper, either (except that it's nice to have a honey bringing cold beverages and sandwiches).

-Bill
Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #37
FC49
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyshotrods View Post
Yep, same here, have used jars and clear tubing on all four brakes and bled all at once. When no bubbles show in the tubing, tighten the bleeders and it's done. Usually. I have had cars that req'd the vacuum pump for rears.

FC
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

speed bleeders, get them at any autoparts store....your life will change
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #39
billsill45

[QUOTE=thecarfarmer;6200128]The first shop I worked at had a pressure pot that would force fluid into the system through the cap you clamped on top the master cyl. Worked well, but there's always the potential for a real 'goat rope' to occur when you're in a hurry.

You'd be surprised how fast brake fluid comes out from under that cap with 30 psi behind it.

I learned the same lesson ... I was glad that I was using DOT 5 (silicon) fluid rather than DOT 3 or 4 (instant paint remover).

I've gone back to the "old school" method with a helper on the brake pedal. I've found that using clear tubing saves having to waste extra fluid in the catch jar ... you can see the bubbles before they get to the jar (have you priced DOT 5 fluid lately?). Get the tubing in a size that is a tight fit on the bleeder. After you have your brake wrench on the fitting, heat the end of the tube with a cigarette lighter so that it will stretch a bit, than push it on to the fitting. Let the tube cool for a minute to let it tighten up, then open the bleeder. I found that doing so eliminated air/fluid leaks.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
CutawayAl

Gravity bleeding gets enough air out of most cars, most of the time, to get by. But, it is the lest effective way to bleed. You can pretty much always get some air out of a gravity bled car using better methods.

Pressure bleeding is excellent. Properly done, and depending on a few variables, vacuum bleeding is equal to, or almost as good as pressure bleeding. If done correctly, and with the fluid pushed through the system with sufficient force, manual, one pump at a time, open/close bleeding is excellent. In many years of working on cars both professionally and otherwise, I encountered on vehicle that wouldn't bleed properly with manual bleeding. That was a medium-duty truck with a remote booster. It had to be pressure bled.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #41
Hemi325
Grenade Inspector

Get a set of speed bleeders at Speedway, Napa, they're sold everywhere. Makes it a snap.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #42
39chevy
Grenade Inspector

Always done it the old fashion way. Got a mity-vac for Christmas so we shall see how that works next time I have to do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #43
millersgarage
Alliance Member

used the Vac method for a while, never as good as the Mrs pumping them.

I use the cup that came with the vac, and some clear hose. My wife is so used to it, she asks to come out to the shop and help, 3 pumps then hold it, I release the valve, tighten it, repeat as necessary, until there are no bubbles.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #44
Firepower71
Grenade Inspector

i use a pressure bleeder almost everyday at the shop. never a problem. even the cheaper plastic ones are fine. i've also had co-workers adapt a bug sprayer with a hose clamped on. depending on your master cylinder there should be an adapter to fit. no reason to hate such a simple task.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
Cymro

As I don't usually have a helper, I use a pressure bleeder, I don't know if its available in the US but this one has served me well for quite a few years and on a westfield built with a friend, which is the most awkward thing I have ever come across to bleed. low level, m/c with tiny reservoirs and pipes that convolute all over the place gravity bleeding works on this one, but only if you attatch tubes to the bleed nipples to jars of clean fluid at floor level the car being on stands. larger m/c reservoirs have helped, at times a combination of both methods will be needed to obtain a good pedal.( as the car is o/t and only used for hill climbs the brakes even though well maintaind do tend to get a bit sticky through lack of constant use so strip downs are quite frequent)

This kit is not expensive 16 or 17 .
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #46
duecesteve

my wife knows the routine for 31 years
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #47
The Shocker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Thats how i do them as well ,but sometimes i have to draft my daughter for the job ...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #48
PhilJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutawayAl View Post
Gravity bleeding gets enough air out of most cars, most of the time, to get by. But, it is the lest effective way to bleed. You can pretty much always get some air out of a gravity bled car using better methods.
I've always had good luck with gravity bleeding. If the pedal is mushy then you didn't take enough time to let it sit.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #49
okiedokie

I just did mine. I wanted to use Speed Bleeders but no one had both sizes I need and I did not want to wait for the ones ordered to arrive. I went back to the method I have used for years. I bought the original "One Man Bleeder from Napa several years ago but had worn it out and found exactly the same thing at Harbor Freight. It works great, but does require a few trips in and out from under the car, but when by yourself it does the job. It is a bottle with a magnet attached so it can be placed above the wheel cylinder/caliper and a clear hose with a set of adaptors to use on the bleeder valves. You simply connect it to the bleeder valve, open the valve, then slowly pump the pedal a few times. Then look at the clear hose for air bubbles. Once the bubbles are gone, close the bleeder, refill MC and go to the next wheel. I am anxious to try Speed Bleeders, but the One Man Bleeder works great.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #50
Retro Jim
Old School HAMBer

I have been bleeding brakes the same way I way taught when I was about 15 years old . Take one foot to pump up the brake peddle , Take one wrench , hose and a mason jar and bleed the brakes out . I have been doing it the same way all these years and works great the first time with no problems .
So why change what has been working great for all these years ?

Retro Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #51
Sweepspear
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUDICE View Post
I pretty much do everything by myself - (that didn't sound right - did it) - anyway my jack handle is the exact length when the brake pedal is all the way down I slip it down on the pedal one end and the other end against the edge of the seat. It takes alittle longer, but I don't have to hear any "are you done yet" or "I'm getting tired, can I go in now"?
I've done that too! (only using a 2 x 4 cut to proper length)
I swear if it comes down to it I can do most everything myself too.
(Doesn't sound right when I say it either.)

But, I usually get the wife or kid to help out. It all seems so simple, but inevitably they get out of synch with me.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #52
1ton
Grenade Inspector

Never use a beer bottle that is brown or green. It has to be clear glass so you can see the liquid. One late night years ago I took a sip out of a Michelob and...you know...a little spittin and sputterin from me and a hard lesson learned.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #53
BinderRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I used to do the two person thing but I use speed bleeders on everything now.

Ditto!! Speed Bleeders are the cats ass
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #54
rusty1
Old School HAMBer

I like to use a plastic pop bottle for a bleed bottle, 20 oz. size, if you happen to drop it it won't break like a glass bottle or jar. I put the cap on a drill 2 holes in the cap for a tight fit on the bleeder hose and another for air so it won't cause a vacuum. You can use tie wire around the neck to tie it up to your frame or suspension so it stays in place while bleeding.
I, too, use my wife for this task, other than bleeding brakes, I don't need much help in the shop.
Thot about usin the speed bleeders, I'd like to see how well they work. Speedways probly the cheapest I guess.

question:...when you gravity bleed, do you bench bleed the MC first, then gravity bleed?

Last edited by rusty1; 02-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #55
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

I need to replace my Mityvac after my former boss ran over it with a Cat loader. They do work well for one guy to bleed brakes by himself.

I have used pressure bleeders in shops that I worked in and in the school shop that I taught in and every one I have ever seen says "Max 15 lbs. air pressure on a lable on the tank. With all the different master cylinders now having the right adapter can be a task though.

I still rely on a good helper to pump the brakes correctly while I do the bleeding most of the time. My 31 year old daughter has been pumping brakes since she was about four years old and can still do a better job than 90% of the other helpers I have ever had. As Mike said a page or two back. Having a helper do it exactly as you tell them is a prime key.
That is pump the pedal SLOWLY and hold it until I tell them to pump again. Most helpers want to pump the pedal too fast and seem not to be able to follow simple directons and those for some reason usually are the buddy who owns the car we are working on half the time.

I'll step on some toes again but I never heard of "gravity" bleeding brakes in the years that I did brakes daily for a living nor th 13 years I taught vocational automechanics and to me the only people who would do that are the amatures who never had to make a living at working on brakes or getting vehicles finished and out the door. I first read about it right here on the hamb. I really don't see the method as effective or productive.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #56
Steves32

I only pressure bleed now. Fastest & simplest- especially when running residual & adjustable porportioning valves on hot rods. Takes mere minutes to flush & bleed the entire system. Doesn't matter if the bleeders leak around the threads when pressure bleeding.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #57
Arominus
Grenade Inspector

Pressure bleeder all the way, make full fluid changes quick and easy. It bleeds my clutch on my DD too! double win.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #58
CutawayAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr48chev View Post
I need to replace my Mityvac after my former boss ran over it with a Cat loader. They do work well for one guy to bleed brakes by himself.

I have used pressure bleeders in shops that I worked in and in the school shop that I taught in and every one I have ever seen says "Max 15 lbs. air pressure on a lable on the tank. With all the different master cylinders now having the right adapter can be a task though.

I still rely on a good helper to pump the brakes correctly while I do the bleeding most of the time. My 31 year old daughter has been pumping brakes since she was about four years old and can still do a better job than 90% of the other helpers I have ever had. As Mike said a page or two back. Having a helper do it exactly as you tell them is a prime key.
That is pump the pedal SLOWLY and hold it until I tell them to pump again. Most helpers want to pump the pedal too fast and seem not to be able to follow simple directons and those for some reason usually are the buddy who owns the car we are working on half the time.

I'll step on some toes again but I never heard of "gravity" bleeding brakes in the years that I did brakes daily for a living nor th 13 years I taught vocational automechanics

I really don't see the method as effective or productive.
Like I posted earlier; Gravity bleeding gets enough air out of most cars, most of the time, to get by. But, it is the lest effective way to bleed. You can pretty much always get some air out of a gravity bled car using better methods. Anytime this comes up there are posts from people who have been gravity bleeding their entire lives and couldn't be happier. But at the other extreme, I doubt one could find a NASCAR/Indy/F1 team that gravity bleeds.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #59
1950Effie
Alliance Member

The old pump and hold method. Starting with the WC farthest away from the MC. Working my way back to the shortest.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #60
HEMI32
Old School HAMBer

Someone ought to ask the HAMB's resident expert on the subject ... bobbleed
Old 02-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #61
4woody

My Speed Bleeders always leak fluid around the threads. Maybe I open them too far.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #62
HotRodToomer
Alliance Member

Me & my dad have a nice little system. When he yells ready i hit the pedal untill pressed then yell up, when he cracks the bleeder and the pedal goes to the floor i yell down, i hold it there till he re-closes it and says ready.
Repeat.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #63
cooger
Grenade Inspector

parachute?
boat anchor?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #64
CutawayAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4woody View Post
My Speed Bleeders always leak fluid around the threads. Maybe I open them too far.
that's a common issue. Some put Teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads to minimize the problem.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #65
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

I have my wife pump the brakes while I lay under the car crackin' the bleeder's...it ain't rocket science...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #66
budd
Old School HAMBer

i helped a british guy bleed his brakes one time, he used a short clear hose going into a glass bottle with about one inch of brake fluid, he opened up the bleed screw and all i did was pump the brakes, and kept an eye on the master fluid level, when you let off the pedal instead of sucking air it sucked up brake fluid, worked like a charm.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #67
V8 Bob
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx1800 View Post
Check out Headrust's post and make your own pressure bleeder, his link described almost exactly the same thing that I did about three years ago. He got a better price on some of his parts so he assembled it a little cheaper but came up with basically the same device. Good Job Headrust!!!!

There is a reason a professional (correct) brake bleeder is not cheap, and it's because the fluid is isolated from air and pressurized by a bladder, not directly by air. Using the cheap bug/garden sprayer to force brake fluid into the master does exactly what you don't want to do-force air (moisture) into the fluid. You've basically lowered the wet/dry boiling point immediately. Either buy/borrow a pressure bladder, or bleed the way most do, by pedal. Why is it that anything brake related is so mis-understood and HAS to be done as cheap as possible, when it's one of the most important system on the car
online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #68
oj
Alliance Member

I've got all the fancy snapon stuff. It collects dust. What works best is an overflow jug i cut the top off and have a hose going from the valve at the bottom to the bleeder. I put about a half pint of fluid in the jug and open the bleeder and valve. I go to the master cyl and operate the brake pedal by hand, it pushes air and fluid up into the jug and pulls fluid back when the pedal returns. I have the jug mounted on a stand and it is above the bleeder. After a few strokes i close the bleeder and valve and move it to another corner. You still have to add fluid to the master cyl to replace the air.
I been doing like this by myself for many years.