Register now to get rid of these ads!

got a "traditional SBC" 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Today I got my new 283 home with plans to put into my 1959 wagon.
    it is a 3789935 block with a 3844457 4 BL intake. it was in a 70's Monza (Correction it was in a Vega), the owner was planing on putt1ng in a 350. Since I could hear it running before it was pulled, it seemed like a good deal for $200. it will have to wait to go in until I finish up on the body work. I am guessing it may be close to 50% more HP than the 235.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Killer!!! Get yourself some degreaser and some paint as well as some early 60's Corvette VC's and that thing will look awesome and will be tons of fun!

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

Good for you! That's a helluva deal for the price. Back in the early 60's, my buddy's dad had a small candy factory & he used to haul candy down to the Jersey shore in the back of a wagon just like yours. We'd sit in the back seat..that sucker must have really been riding low. Have fun with it. (P.S. I'm running a stock unrebuilt 283 in my hot rod & I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've had many 283's in the past & they are great motors.)

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Be sure to check the stamped letters and numbers on the pass side front deck. If it actually came from the factory in a Monza, I don't believe it is a true 283. I want to say 305 but I could be wrong. It could make a difference when ordering some parts.

My 67 El Camino had a 283 from the factory and that was close to the end of the line for that CI SBC.

I love the 283. You can call it anything you want nobody will know the difference.:D

5. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

The block casting number is for a 61-64 283 2bbl car/truck. Might even have a forged crank.

6. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I'm with tommy on this one. If that's the stock Monza engine, it's probably a 262 or a 267. If it's a transplant of some kind, it could very well be a 283. Either way,you've gotten a great price on the engine. Good Luck with whatever you intend to do!

7. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Yes a 283 block, I don't think the cast cranks started till 1965. :)

A newer top end on the block.

8. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

At the ripe old age of even the youngest 283 the chances of "mix and match" having happened is at least possible, which is why I used "might". I know every time I open a 283 its kinda like Christmas morning.

9. Toner283

Toner283

283's are the best SBC, I have several & snag one every time I get a chance. They are rock solid reliable when rebuilt properly. Have fun with it.

10. Deuces

Deuces

I choose a 327 any day of the week to be the best motor GM ever did.... Can't go wrong with that one..

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

love them too. I also have a 327, it is still the original bore and in need of its first rebuild. it is my end game plan for the car, rebuilding that after every thing else is done (years from now?)

Also, based on the casting # the block looks to be ~1961 to ~64. the top end is from a 327. who knows what is inside, sounds good, no smoke the price was right.

12. FWilliams

FWilliams

nice find,

numbers are 283 block, intake numbers are 327, the front dampner doesnt look right for 283, might be blurry picture tho, be interesting seeing whats inside

13. pumpman

pumpman

I was working on our family funster and took a break and came across your thread, very sweet, we put in a 350 in ours after the old 283 puked on us. I wanted a 59 but here in Michigan they were really rough, but found this 60 half done and we fell in love with. Are you going to post more pics of the car in progress? Sure would like to her come back to the high life. I tried to attach a couple of pics of our wagon, but don't know if it worked.

14. No offense to the inliner crowd but that thing puts out 50% more HP than your 235 not running. ;)

The VCs in the pic look like '68 vintage they look fine cleaned up but just not the sames as then Vette covers that mr jame's has suggested.

At any rate get it cleaned up and in there you can change rocker covers any time. You did good, a running 283 at a core price. :cool:

15. Cool! I just threw this one back in my chassis yesterday.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I bought my dads 60 Belair ht 6cyl powerglide. when I came back from Vietnam. What a turd. It was unsafe to pull out into 1968 traffic. I can't imagine trying to blend in driving one today. It didn't make a shit how far you pressed the go pedal it just would not get out of it's own way. It was scary.