Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
gettingreasy

Default 340 Buick engine, info please?

A freind of mine may be aquireing a Skylark that has a 340 in it, i looked in a book here at the house and saw they were 66 and 67 only then being replaced(?)in 68 with the 350. What kind of trannies do they usually have behind them? Are parts interchangable with any other motors, maybe like the Buick 300 which was discontinued the same year? Deyomatic has that big book of V-8s and both of the 4bbl units put out 260hp and 365ft/lbs while the 2bbl puts out about 220, do these #'s seem right. Any help would be great thanks.
-Jesse
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
gettingreasy

Default Re: 340 Buick engine, info please?

BTTT
Old 12-04-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
wingnutz
Old School HAMBer

Jesse

I had a 67 GS with a 340 and a factory 4 speed..., I never took it apart so I can't tell you what other trany's will work, but I believe that they had 400 trany's also!

By the way the GS with the 340 ran 15.3 in the Quarter with my crappy shifting in a 3,400 lb car!

Outta scoot in a smaller car!

Mark

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
repoguy

Those hp figures sound about right. It wasn't exactly a "hot" motor or anything, just the standard V8.

The 340 had a taller deck height than the 300, so intakes are wider for the 340. Not too sure about the trannies used in those cars though.

I think that the 215-300-340 are all related actually. I know that there's a guy over at the GSCA named Sean Etson or something like that, and he is THE guy to talk to about these motors. I believe he runs a 67 special or skylark with a modified 300 that runs low 12's in the 1/4. I'd tell your buddy to join the GS club and hunt down Mr. Etson.

That's all I really know. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:12 PM   #5
gettingreasy

Very cool, this one has a BOP powerglide I think(it is a 2 speed)but hopefully I'll know for sure this weekend. I wonder if parts are hard toget for them or not.
-Jesse
Old 12-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
repoguy

That tranny is an st300, which is a variable pitch 2 speed.

Also, Sean Etson is one of the tech talk moderators at Buicks.net, so your friend could probably go & find him there to pick his brain. He's definitely the guy he needs to speak to if he plans on doings some performance mods.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Repoguy is correct, the trans is a ST300, a 2 speed. Not a powerglide. It has the switch pitch converter, and is the low-buck upghrade to a higher stall switch pitch used in the ST400. The converters interchange.

The bellhousing pattern on the 340 should be same as the standard B-O-P, so you can use any T350 or better yet get a 200R4 and use the OD gear for freeway cruising.

There is nothing inherently bad about the 340, but it does have limited production. Go to www.V8Buick.com and you can learn lots about it there.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
jdubbya
Alliance Member

Those engines are great and dependable as far as I am concerned. My dad has one in a 66 LeSabre with a 400 trans behind it, it pulls that big beast down the road like a champ. I wouldn't hesitate putting one in a car, the only problem, like said before, is getting replacement parts, or dress-up items. Below is a pick of my dad's big Buihog. -Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233383-66 LeSabre.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	9463