Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #81
Groucho
BANNED

Location: 300 feet West of Burbank, SoCal-Near Burbank Airport
Default Re: The Trials and Tribulations Of The GNRS: 2011

For the 1st part of the rant-Can I get you some cheese to go with that whine?
For the 2nd part-I'm a sucker for lavendar/white/Radirs/slicks. Oh, and it's not a girlie color. I LOVE color

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #82
Tom davison

Yes, congratulations to all the staff. Each year I am able to talk a few more of my friends from all over the country into attending. The acceptance committee does their job sooo well and that's my talking point to my friends who are on the fence about coming. To a person, they are blown away once they make the show.

I explain how 99% of the cars in the show are good enough to deserve a place in a show of this calibur. Every other indoor show (with a few exceptions such as Detroit) looks like half the cars belong in the spectator parking lot.

Then, on top of that the other 500-600 cars in the outdoor portion make up a way better-than-average parking lot show, icing on the cake.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #83
HRod 50

Great Show, so good I went twice, Sat and Sunday.. Ryan ranted a little but if we wanted to nit pick even further..
1. 1 1/2hours to get into the parking lot off of the freeway, on Saturday.
2.$9 to park $12 for VIP parking which wasnt really regulated. I paid that, and it didnt make a difference. I think they should put up a temp fence for it. Its annoying to pay $3 more for a spot, and arguing wouldnt matter cause the gate people are about 2 miles back, and who's going to walk there to complain..
3. Entry $20.00.. So before I've seen 1 car I've spent $32.00
4. Sausage and beer $22.00
5. Finally see a car.. Monies spent so far $54.00

I was so mad about it all, I went back on Sunday , and spent the same amount, but with the wife so $20 more entrance, and $25 for her food.....

Grand total spent this weekend, and not one purchase. $153.00

I'll be back next year.. I will say, this show made me appreciate the Long Beach Motorama show that much more. I can't wait for that show this year after attending the GNRS. More Kustoms, nicer people, nicer venue, and more room.. My biggest complaint is that the GNRS had all these amazing old Kustoms packed into the buildings, when to me the respect should have been given to these cars for more room. The Aztec was paired with another car similarly painted, so it washed out the one corner of the room, and just a bunch of beautiful Kustoms with no room to be admired, BUT I'll be back next year, like I said..

Long Beach Motorama, I hope you witnessed the flaws of GNRS, and not allow them to happen to your show. IF you could get those Kustoms, oh my God, No one would be able to touch your show..
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #84
vonpahrkur

Great article!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #85
Jonnie King

Super article...wish I would have been able to be there. Hopefully next year it'll work out.

And Ryan, thanks for everything you do here on the H.A.M.B. ! Just "keeping the lights on" has to be a REALLY BIG CHORE !!

Jonnie
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #86
U.K.ROADSTER
Grenade Inspector

QUOTE: I'll be back next year.. I will say, this show made me appreciate the Long Beach Motorama show that much more. I can't wait for that show this year after attending the GNRS. More Kustoms, nicer people, nicer venue, and more room.. My biggest complaint is that the GNRS had all these amazing old Kustoms packed into the buildings, when to me the respect should have been given to these cars for more room. The Aztec was paired with another car similarly painted, so it washed out the one corner of the room, and just a bunch of beautiful Kustoms with no room to be admired, BUT I'll be back next year, like I said..

Long Beach Motorama, I hope you witnessed the flaws of GNRS, and not allow them to happen to your show. IF you could get those Kustoms, oh my God, No one would be able to touch your show..QUOTE:

The Long Beach Motorama seemed to be about contemporary custom cars where last weekends GNRS displayed THE most historical customs to EVER be displayed together - under one roof! What John Buck, Axle and staff did has and will never be duplicated, and that must be the reason the building was so packed full of people - and the crowd never let up. Building #9 was clearly the smashing hit of the GNRS.

On to the dark side. It seems as though the GNRS conducts themselves with the utmost professionalism - unlike the organizer of the LBM. I kept wondering who the bloke was that so arrogantly walked under the secured rope all weekend to open car doors and shove pamphlets inside . As it has just been brought to my attention - it was the promoter of the LBM?!?!?!? Friends,wife, and i saw the local bill speaking to him afterwards.

In all, we had a fantastic time but must admit, are knackered . Missed our reconnecting flight on our return but was given another offered flight within a hours time. Oh well, its part of traveling, isn't it. Still, we would do it again next year. Cheers, Roger
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #87
JeffSled
Old School HAMBer

Location: A place where cars drive at the same height that they park.

B.t.b.

Friend's don't let friend's lay frame.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #88
outcasthb
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acme Speed Shop View Post
Ryan,

I didn't get it when I read your post; I just figured you were tired, hung over and pissed about your flight getting all messed up. It is good to see you and John Buck have it sorted out like gentlemen.

I have to say that I am really very impressed at the way the show gets pulled off every year with so few people. Not every car is my cup of tea but that is what keeps so many people coming out to this show; a little somthing for everyone.

John Buck and your little team of 6; awesome job, keep up the good work.

I want to thank Chris Young (the gentleman that John put in charge of coordinating the outside vendors and cars) he was such a huge help to ACME and is an asset to the Rod Shows team. Keep him in the mix John, he is a winner.
I thank you for the "pat on the back" mentioned above....just trying to make this the best show you attend and take all the "headaches" that I can out of the experience. I love the job and the challenges that it brings.....John's Team is fabulous and I am glad to be part of it.......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"An idea is just random thoughts, but act on it and it becomes an event !!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #89
rainh8r

We drove 850 miles on Thursday, then 350 on Friday to get there at 1:30pm, just in time to get a good parking place. Stayed until about 8:30, went to the motel, and were back at the gate Saturday at 10:00. Stayed until 8:00, back to the motel, and back again Sunday at 10:30. Finally left at 4:00 and drove to Merced, then another 900 miles home on Monday. I enjoyed every minute of it and would do it again soon. The feeling there is not what one gets at a regular show-this one is an event. Everyone is enjoying themselves without attitude or posture. You can talk to anyone, as we spent time talking with the Lifestyle guys just like the LA Roadsters members. I've been to shows and worked them for years, and this show brings out the best in both cars and the people. The commitment by the people there, both organizers and participants, makes it work. Lots to see and process, overload maybe, but there were a few that stood out. The Takeout T, straight out of a show from 1960, was perfect. The AMBR winner this year was a suprise and a good one-way better than the kind-of 34's that have been winning. Wally Parks roadster, Jack Calori's coupe, Doug Rice's 39 in with the best ever, and the fact that an ugly custom from '61 is still ugly no matter how old it is. The Hirohata Merc is still the best one out there and the lowriders of today show a level of commitment that's hard to match by anyone. The whole Fairplex seems to run on $20 bills, too. It was worth the trip.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #90
gnichols
Alliance Member

Not that you need my input... I just got back from my first GNRS. Ditto the tired feet and legs. I met some great folks, made a rendezvous with an old Navy bud I haven't seen in years and had a uneventful flight from Tampa and back. I also had a brief visit to the VA medical center Friday eve for a possible appendicitus (sp?) attack but thankfully that turned out to be some sort of hernia-ish thing instead I can deal with now that I'm back.

As a first timer, I saw some AMAZING cars. Some of cars parked outside belonged inside, fer sure. Other pedestrian cars looked as if they had managed to "jump the fence" when no one was looking. I'm sure they were "hip" by someone's account, but jeez Louise, some things I just don't get. On the flip side, I just LOVED that primered and sectioned / chopped / narrowed hump-back rodent-ish rod sedan!

The worst? It was all that fantastic paint. I have never seen paint jobs SO nice. I know now I don't need fenders on my truck. I might as well just throw rocks at it and save myself the worry. Gary

Forgot to add, the GNRS winner was so uninspiring, I can't even remember seeing it. Duh.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #91
Gambino_Kustoms
Alliance Vendor

ryan, it was great seeing ya
& TAIL DRAGERS KITS FOR ALL
40'S & 50'S CARS call: 408-561-5744
made a million dollars off my first record deal
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #92
Jigger
Old School HAMBer

My blue suede Adidas gave out around 8:00 Saturday night. Very sorry I didn't get to meet you Ryan and others from the H.A.M.B. family. You summed the show up well.
My Denver plain switch-a-roo turned into a 2 hour hold over and a long wait in the de-icing line during a white out Monday. It was swell.
On the plus, I met two hot rodders, one, Dennis Lesky, from Ionia Michigan on the short trip from L.A. to the mile high city. That was a nice way to top off a great week in L.A.

http://markervin327.wix.com/art-n-moti0n#!

Last edited by Jigger; 02-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #93
Gambino_Kustoms
Alliance Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

The bastards at United Airlines sabotaged my trip home. They listed "natural causes" as the reason for my canceled flight and resulting 3-stop nightmarish trip back to Austin. Yeah, right. I think they are out to get me. I think they are all ev...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
thank god i found a new drug
& TAIL DRAGERS KITS FOR ALL
40'S & 50'S CARS call: 408-561-5744
made a million dollars off my first record deal
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #94
Jigger
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambino_Kustoms View Post
ryan, it was great seeing ya
Great meeting you guys too. Every bit as nice as I'd figured.

http://markervin327.wix.com/art-n-moti0n#!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #95
FASI

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
Ryan, thanks for the kind words. It was great to hang out if only for a little bit. Axle.
P.s. , and yes, the entire gnrs staff make everything possible.
Axle, sorry I couldn't meet you to extend my congrats on Building 9. I talked with Rik and Luke and shared what a great job it was to pull this together. I wish I could have had my car there for this "once only" event, but it couldn't be done. Keith.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #96
Acme Speed Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
It's been VERY interesting to watch the "outsiders" of yesterday become the "insiders" of today. I grew up in the L.A. Street Rod Scene and when the original "Traditional" guys like the Shifters and the Choppers were forming it was worlds apart. I met Aaron Kahan of the Choppers very early on because he was raised in the same scene attending the L.A. Roadster Show since we were kids.
When the traditional scene started to really grow and absorb the attention of the young guys across the county and through the HAMB it was two very different mind sets. I got to see from the inside as Goodguys and then Rod & Custom became more friendly and accepted to the young guys and now it's GREAT to see this stuff happen with the GNRS becoming less and less of an "old man show".
Not sure what will happen first- young gus will become the show- or we just become the "New-Old Guys" - LOL!!! Whatever it is it's really nice to see SO MANY friends at these shows now that share the same interest rather than how small and seperate the "traditional" world looked 10 years ago.

Jim A,

I miss seeing you man. Hope all is well with you.

ACME SPEED SHOP
Automotive Art & Apparel

check us out at;
www.acme-speedshop.com
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #97
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRod 50 View Post
Great Show, so good I went twice, Sat and Sunday.. Ryan ranted a little but if we wanted to nit pick even further..
1. 1 1/2hours to get into the parking lot off of the freeway, on Saturday.
2.$9 to park $12 for VIP parking which wasnt really regulated. I paid that, and it didnt make a difference. I think they should put up a temp fence for it. Its annoying to pay $3 more for a spot, and arguing wouldnt matter cause the gate people are about 2 miles back, and who's going to walk there to complain..
3. Entry $20.00.. So before I've seen 1 car I've spent $32.00
4. Sausage and beer $22.00
5. Finally see a car.. Monies spent so far $54.00

I was so mad about it all, I went back on Sunday , and spent the same amount, but with the wife so $20 more entrance, and $25 for her food.....

Grand total spent this weekend, and not one purchase. $153.00

I paid more than that before I even got on the plane
I paid that each night for a room.
I paid that for my car rental and fuel for the long weekend

Wish I could say I spent only $153.00

I'll be back next year.. I will say, this show made me appreciate the Long Beach Motorama show that much more. I can't wait for that show this year after attending the GNRS. More Kustoms,
More kustoms? Your kiddin right?? Motorama had just a fraction of the customs the GNRS had.
nicer people,
Please....I guess you didn't get lied to by one of the restration girls like I did.
nicer venue,
A matter of opinion
and more room..
Motorama was a fraction of the size venue the GNRS is
My biggest complaint is that the GNRS had all these amazing old Kustoms packed into the buildings, when to me the respect should have been given to these cars for more room.
Yeah, so maybe give each car twice as much room for display and have half the number......no thanks. I ENJOYED the cars being up close and personal in referance to the crowd instead of a huge display were the car is 20 feet away from me.
The Aztec was paired with another car similarly painted, so it washed out the one corner of the room, and just a bunch of beautiful Kustoms with no room to be admired, BUT I'll be back next year, like I said..

Long Beach Motorama, I hope you witnessed the flaws of GNRS, and not allow them to happen to your show. IF you could get those Kustoms, oh my God, No one would be able to touch your show..
I feel just the opposite, the LBM had way more "flaws" than the GNRS including trunks of cars getting searched for beverages, lack of participant cars in the outdoor area and high cost for everything including an $18.00 entrance fee for spectators for an event that only took me a couple of hours to fully check out everything. I attended the GNRS all three days and I know I missed stuff, especially ALL the cars in the "Drive-In" on Saturday.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #98
Irish Mike

Always great to see you Denise.....
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #99
sodbuster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The folks that were lucky enough to get a 1955 calendar, but unfortunate enough to actually read my editorial within will absolutely get my GNRS article. You other degenerates are on your own.
Did you put "The Jalopy Journal" on your bag this year?........Haha.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #100
yblock292
Alliance Member

all i can say is WOW, yea spent a bunch of $$$$$$ but was well worth it all. Me and my gal flew in saturday, rental car, staying at the radison, everyone we dealt with was fabulous, car rantal guys to the hotel staff to everyone we messed around with at the show.Got back to the show sunday at 9:30 spent all day there and di the NHRA museum deal late that day. Monday went to Hollywood and mess around . Flew frontier airlines, had a flight out of LAX tuesday at 6:00 pm, but because of the storm moving into wichita, we call frontier monday evening and changed our flight to 6:00AM tuesday. The gal i talked to was super nice and got it all changed for us. Got up at 2:00AM tuesday morning, left for LAX about 3:30, couldn't fing the friggin rental car place, EZ car rental, finally found it right when the shuddle bus was pulling in, OK all is good, get to the frontier counter, use the automatic ticket deal, all still good. Leave LA at 6:00am get to Denver for 10:00 flight to wichita, OK all still good...........on final approach into wichita , wind blowing like hell, pilot powers back up anounces below minimums, heading back to Denver, SHIT! back at denver get booked on a 7:30 flight to wichita, leaves at 8:15, make it to wichita , colder than hell. Home at 12:00. point is everyone was great , didn't have any jerks to deal with, airline was doing all they could to get us all home and worked out fine. just one of the best weekends i've had in a long time, was just alot of fun seeing everyone and oh yea, could not get enought of the cars, just mkaes me wanna go get busy in the shop!