Register now to get rid of these ads!

wacked the top on my 29 roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thompson Speed Shop, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thompson Speed Shop

Thompson Speed Shop

Well, I went for it! I cut the top on my 1929 roadster over the last week. I cut the windshield and posts 3", leaned them back 5 degrees, and cut the rear bows a whoppin 8". I wasnt sure if it was too much until I skinned it with paper, and in my opinion it looks killer! I am going to have Guys Interior do the top in Portland, Or. He has some vintage fabric and is a true hot rodder. Let me know what your thoughts are. I love traditional Hot Rods and try to represent them and there time period. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

i hope youre joking...but hey, thats just me

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

wow.. me no likey..... way to much in the back

4. Looking at the pictures I'm not feelin it.

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Neat car. I think your going to have to whack a couple more inches off of the front posts and windshield to get the top profile right. That's what everyone is seeing and saying.

The front is shooting up hill too much. Just a simple fix to make it look right. Again, cool car. You might have to lose the seat riser and put the seat on the floor for more head room.

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

you cut way to much out of the back....my.02

7. Kinda bizarre, but if you like it, well, it is your car. Got any pics with the top off?

8. Thompson Speed Shop

Thompson Speed Shop

True Hot Rodders Only Please! Not looking for haters into muscle cars; Period Hot Rods only please!

9. lorodz

lorodz

profile needs to be adjusted ,you either need to add some material that you cut out back in the rear or you need to chop the winsheild post more but by the looks of the steering wheel to me id say add more in the rear than takeing to much out of the front unless you are super short ..good luck

10. What drum are you hearing?

11. ...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

12. Thompson Speed Shop

Thompson Speed Shop

I hate to give a history lesson, but this is how it was done back in the day! however, I am okay with opinions as I asked for it! Thanks, I like it soft not hard!

13. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Love the car. I have never had a muscle car, but the top looks too low in the back or not low enough in the front.

14. Cshabang

Cshabang

hating on muscle cars huh..thats cool...Too bad my 4 flattys, my 39 trans, my banjo, my 303 olds, and many of my other parts dont go in muscle cars...Ill leave out that I have a modern 66 F100, thats gonna have an FE with 6 deuces on it, that my 65 Comet was bought at 15, and has a 14 to 1 289 in it...or the fact that your car has an awesome stance, that I dig the splash aprons, but that ugly top goes uphill, and since we're nit picking, those tail lights are too new for the rest of the build....OH,and while I left to have a "normal life", I use to work in the hot rod industry...at a "traditional hot rod" only shop.....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Definately cut the front posts and lower the front seat If you have to compensate , All the guys here are streetrodders ............

16. F&J

F&J

The pic of the Bass 32 roadster:

The Model A roadster rear quarters sit lower than a 32 compared to windshield height, so it is hard to cut the Model A top as much as a 32 can be cut.

17. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

some things that people did "back in the day" should stay "back in the day" but i do like the car if you took that top off

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  18. ...[​IMG]

19. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

Ouch:eek:. The top should have at least the same rake as the rest of the car, if not more.

20. Cshabang

Cshabang

This is how I'd do it...

Attached Files:

21. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

yeah buddy that car is one of my all time favorites

22. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

23. Which day?

[​IMG]

24. pitman

pitman

Lines? Stance?
    It should flow...rather it seems to unload.

25. It's not how much it is cut, it is "how" it is cut. It does not matter what it is. It should still flow, bro.Ha!

26. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

Can you sit in there without your head hitting the top? That car is sweet, you were on a roll till you got to the top, sorry man but that's just wrong.
    My .02 cents.

27. Cshabang

Cshabang

three prime examples, and while the one I posted is a "newer" build, it is Period Perfect...right down to the way the wiring is tied off with thread....I wasnt intending my post to be a bash, but you dont know me,my past etc.....PM me if you would like "information"

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Cshabang

Cshabang

one of the most perfect roadster tops of all time in my opinion...of course..Im kinda biased since it is my old bosses car...
    photos by Chuck Vranas

30. Joe King

Joe King

Please, school me please. I've never seen pic of tops like that.
    I'm no ole timer but I've never owned a camaro either

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.