Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects maybe OT but Nuts and bolts..............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 18, 2011.

1. saints

saints

Here is my dilemma....every time I go to working on anything and get to a point I need a bolt to connect parts together I have to guess what size jump in the truck and go to lowes to find the right length and right size bolt or god forbid nut this results in lots of trips or lugging in the part to fit a bolt to.....The smart thing would be to pic up extra why I’m at the hardware store but it never happens......My question is I have seen someplace where I can by a metal case with sliders that have nuts and bolts already in it or a set of metric or standard....I’ve checked harbor freight and northern tools and googled it but still can’t find a set of different size bolts just to outright buy......yea I’m lazy like that but having to guess on size and length is a pet peeve
    help:eek:

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Grainger or Mc Master Carr, They should have kits.

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

4. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I had a teacher that would buy nuts and bolts a box at a time and put them in his cabinet, that way if he needed another one down he just checked his "stock"

5. pitman

pitman

A search done here, on fastener qualiti(es) will turn up some helpful info too. It's worth buying the good material, over the less reliable stuff.

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Bolts from HF would be as soft as butter.

Go to an ACE hardware and just buy yourself a nice selection of grade 5 or 8's

I was lucky enough to come across a huge box of bolts at a garage sale once. I have not sorted them but tehyre ina 5 gallon bucket and i will dump it on the floor if i need a bolt from that and then sift through it then use a shovel to scoop em up and back into the bucket. And at another, a box of all kinda of sbc bolts.

7. saints

saints

Thanks for the links and sugestions.....yea I could buy by the box but I have yet to find a local place that sells by the box and for grade 8 it would be madness to buy them

8. Master of None

Master of None

Do you have a Fastenall in you area? They will come to your shop as often as you want or need and they have the shelf with the drawers your looking for. Aveeco is another company, they do trim clips and body shop stuff.

9. saints

saints

Yea I had one of those mine was a coffe can and I let my brother use it and never got it back....

10. saints

saints

I do have a [/I]Fastenall I just thought you had to have a commercial account to buy from them

11. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

12. Master of None

Master of None

Check them out sometimes all an account requires a good credit report and a bank reference.

13. kma4444

kma4444

14. 61bone

61bone

If you have a caterpillar dealer close by, you can buy grade 8 bolts inpacks of a dozen in all different lengths at half the price of any other bolt dealer. These are USA made high spec bolts.

15. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Fastenall will take cash or charge card if you stop in and pick up anything.

16. Keep

Keep

Check out Graingers (ackland grainger for us Northern folk) once every other month or so they have either a Grade 5 or Grade 8 kit on sale. Comes with 1000's of fasteners and a metal storage bin. Usually runs around $400 but I figure its worth it. If I am building from the ground up I can see at least $250 on one vehicle.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Got a Tractor Supply near you? All normal sizes, Grade 2 (or whatever garden variety is), grade 5 & grade 8. Nuts, bolts, washers, lockwashers. All bulk, by weight.

18. yeah,TSC is a great place for bolts..bought 2 1" number 8 pitch nuts for the rear of the quarter midget...total cost----- .80...yeah eighty cents..they sell by weight according to scrap prices....very few places even stocked a nut this big..and no one else had it in a 8 pitch.. one really coarse sucker

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a Fastenall account. Cash. No surprise bill at the end of the month. Not quite wholesale pricing at the level I buy but it is cheaper than retail.

20. Boltdepot.com is where I got a set. Not cheap, but shipped right to the door. I didn't buy the slider rack, but should have. It's on my bday wish list for next month.

21. Badfast

Badfast

At the building supply center I run, I made sure I started carrying all sizes of grade 8 and 5 coarse and fine. It makes working on my projects very easy.

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago I got sick & tired of running out to buy a couple of bolts every time I turned around, so I took a hundred bucks, visited my local Auveco dealer and bought nuts, bolts and lockwahsers of various lengths in both fine & coarse thread and in grade 5 & 8, by the box. When my stock runs low, I replenish it. Makes life a lot easier.

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I've got two of these cabinets full of bins of bolts. Everytime I have to buy a bolt I get a whole box.. The ones I dont immediately use I store in the bins.. After about 3 years I seldom have to "go to the store" to get a bolt anymore. One christmas I asked for "bolts" from santa. My wife, sister, and all my friends got me gift certificates at the hardware store and I bought about 200.00 worth of bolts.

24. i always see the bins being sold at the swop meets and flea markets, start with a nice bin with lots of spaces put the basic stuff [1/4 through 1/2 nuts washers and some 3/4" through 1.5" bolts] and keep adding to it

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Nope, just money <grin>, I have saved hardware from last 10-12 parts cars it's a cheap way to accumulate and also gives you the oddball bolts, studs, etc.

26. I Drag

I Drag

On my trips for hardware, I always buy at least twice what I need (sometimes 5x). I still have to make trips to the store, but not as many or as often.

Whole boxes are too expensive for me.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of the ag supply stores have "bulk bolts" you buy them by the pound and can mix and match. The local place has grade 5 and that is good enough 90% of the time.

Figure out what you want to spend at the time and fll a sack or box up with the number of pounds of mixed bolts that it takes to reach that dollar amount.

Cat equipment has a good assortment of grade 8 bolts but you need to know what you want.
    Lawson fasteners "True Torque" bolts are probably the best in the regular market but you pay dearly for them. But worth hunting out for critical applications.

Again around this area which is primarily a farming area I have seen AG equipment dealers have great deals on bolt bins with bolts in their parts departments.

Learn the sizes. All fasteners are measured by the size of the shank and not the size of wrench they take no matter what the guys in the Army tell you.

a simple size chart for standard bolts is

1/4 inch takes a 7/16 wrench
    5/16 takes a 1/2 wrench
    3/8 takes a 9/16 wrench
    7/16 takes a 5/8 wrench while some 1/16 nuts use a 11/16 wrench.
    1/2 takes a 3/4 wrench

Bolt length is measured by the length of the round part and the head isn't included.

Those are the ones we reach for and have to figure out every day.

28. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

they have those cheap plastic gages that tell size of bolt and nut. and the nuts it will even tell if it's fine or coarse. you can also just measure the bolt diam and use a thread gage, little trickier to do on nuts.

29. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

When it comes to subjects like this,everybody has a preference based on past experience. I like this place: http://www.sherco-auto.com/sap.htm
    Get on his weekly email specials list. You'll see why

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Bought an oddball sized #14 pan head (phillips head) machined threaded (25) for 3 dollars at FASTENAL last week. Oh yeah-- they had to special order them. Would of bought more in different lengths if I knew they were that affordable. Try 90 cents a piece at the hardware store. If they even have them.