Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little British car humor from the '50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Yep another Lucas fuel pump hits the dust. Use to carry a spare in my Austin Healy and MG.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm waiting for the retarded Lucas jokes that we've all heard ten billion times to be repeated.

4. oj

oj

I just saw a bumper sticker that said ...'never build a car you can't push'

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

6. R Pope

R Pope

Looks like a "nifty, thrifty Austin A50"! How good a fuel pump do you need when the thing gets 45 MPG?

7. Wesley

Wesley

Here you go Nads.
    Lucas has started making vacuum cleaners, they finally have a product that doesnt suck.
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

8. Frank

Frank

Since we're on the subject...

Why oh why do vintage MG's have a holder for 4 spark plugs on the firewall? I've seen that on a few of them. Are they that prone to fouling that they have to carry spare plugs everywhere?

9. 383 240z

383 240z

The best Lucas joke I ever saw, was a victorian era print ad, at the Hershey swap, it showed a well to do woman using a vacuum cleaner in her parlor, the script of the ad read, Lucas vacuum cleaners, if its made by Lucas you know it sucks!!" Keith

10. cmon.. I think all the lucas jokes are still funny.. interesting tid bit that will make ya cringe or laugh... read this link.. http://www.carlectro.com/node/33 yup sad but true.. true stuff is the funniest and before that they tried to repeal ohms law.. they gave up when they encountered too much resistance...

11. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

on a Jaguar site a few years ago someone called Joseph Lucas the prince of darkness

12. Yes, I have heard all of the jokes an labels too.Quite funny. However in defence of the Prince of Darkness I have to say as a Jag owner for over 20 years with my own share of issues with the electrics I believe this reputation is not entirely deserved .

The problems on my car have been sorted and now works well and has done so for a long time. In my opinion it is the combination of components used or more accurately the lack thereof.

In particular the headlight switch and ignition switch on my car were problematic. The simple inclusion of a relay in the circuit for each of them fixed all of that. That's not the fault of Lucas but the manufacturer of the car who designed it. Its their decision to choose that combination of components. Their failure to incorporate relays into the wiring loom.

Of course these days pop the bonnet of any modern car and they are everywhere.

My 2 bobs worth.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. The spare pump would probably have been a good idea. I was in the boonies the first time my 61 Sprite broke down. I always carried my tool box with me and repaired the pump by filing the points. Living in the northwest, I got used to the idea of baking the distributor cap to dry it out so I could start the car.
    The car went like hell, I had it punched out to 1300 cc, Isky E4 cam, shaved flywheel, hd clutch, and headers. The problem with the car was that I was making enough power that I was breaking axles and everything else in the running gear. Another problem, was that the carbs were activated at the firewall end rather than in the middle and were regularly going out of sync.
    I also made the mistake of buying a used Landrover 4x4, but I solved all my electrical problems by installing a Delco alternater.