Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #121
53mercury

Default Re: Charlie Wiggins

Well, it's always hard to look back through the dust of time and come up with an accurate picture of those events. None the less when you are working on your own stuff and things get a little tough and you feel over whelmed, it's not a bad idea to gaze back into the past and take a moment to think about the things that so many had to endure to get the job done. Yup, time to put on the big girl panties and get back to work and quit your whining. goes for me too. Mike
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #122
57 300
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer5c View Post
BTW Hungness article was published in the 70's, I showed it to Charlie Wiggans neice a cople years ago she never knew it existed. Also a certain former IMS CEO had a marker placed on Wiggans burial plot when he found out he had no tombstone.
Thanks racer5c,thats good to know.That unmarked shit bothered me in the Boneyard artical.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #123
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Chances are real good that that T Chrarie drove had a Morton & Brett built body the shop was at 811-815 East 23rd St in Indianapolis, and the Chevrolet Brothers shop was on 410 West Tenth Street. What buildings are on those spots now?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #124
LeoH
Alliance Member

Although this isn't auto racing, a similar story is that of Major Taylor, a black bicycle racer from the turn of the century and in fact was America's first international sporting star. This was back in the time of board track racing, indoors and outdoors.
His story is an interesting one to read of how he dealt with the racial attitudes of his time.

If you want to be picky, the bicycle racers would use motorcycles to draft and build up speeds. Lots of gory accidents with uneven surfaces and narrow tires, loss of control and splinters driven into racers' bodies at speed. ;-)