Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help I.D. This early Ford trans and other stuff I got for free....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Well I just went dumpster diving again.;) I scored a bunch of free stuff. One of them is a transmission. I'm not sure what it fits. V8 maybe/hopefully? Or is it a model A? I also got a bunch of other stuff.....Some of it junk. Like a old cam.....some not, like the Model A tail light and a few rear trans mounts. What are the front cover things for. One is different then the other 4. Also got some Model a brake parts? Any help with the identification of stuff in the pictures would be great. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like a good deal to me, you've got the good topshifter there, what's the casting number on the back of the case and on the shift top? By the clutch shaft and shift top, looks like it's probably a 40+ pickup trans. Are there gears in it? You done good!

3. I can see a 78-70greasy.....:D on the back. I'll look at the other spots. can I use this in my A? It spins over easy.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

78 is a good number, that's a good case. You'll just want to check to make sure the thrust surfaces are ok and it's free of cracks when you rebuild it. Check the gears over carefully and replace any worn parts inside, shim the countershaft up nice and tight and it'll live a long life behind a flathead. That trans should have the good late-style synchro too. I would most DEFINITELY use that in your A.

5. alchemy

alchemy

That trans has a 33-34 rear mount, which can also have the center part to use in a 32. Kind of valuable. The trans itself looks like it may be a 39. Does the top cover have large screws in each side for the detent springs? The swan lever is a nice find as well.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

7. and after removing the super duper hard grease 81a-7222 on the shifter plate.

8. troylee

troylee

Nice score. I was hunting a dip stick yesterday. hell i could 1/2 of that stuff.

9. It does have gears in it. I popped it open. pretty clean inside and it has two screws, one on each side of the shifter. Is one of the loose rear mounts a open drive one? The mount that is on it has some scrap welded to it to make it mount in something else.

10. Andy

Andy

3 front covers are prewar. The odd one is 59ab post war. The emergency lever is 32 and someone on fordbarn is looking. I need the bigger dipsticks!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  11. Andy

Andy

Yes, that one is for open drive. Cam is model A or B. Funny things out of sheetmetal are Model A oil drain backs.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yeah, you've got an open drive retainer there, you'll need the corresponding open drive main output shaft to use it.

Edit: I see you have there, it's the shaft with the speedo worm gear on it in the same pic as the shift levers.

Oh, BTW, my fee for identifying that stuff is one shift lever!;):D

13. Thanks Thunderbirdesq. Just roughly ball park. How much $$$$ in parts did I just score? I just want to know if I should buy this guy some beer or something.:)

14. thanks andy! What are the bigger dipsticks for? I've got a few. PM me so I don't forget. Once I sort it all out. I may have an extra for you!

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You should definitely buy him a few beers. If the gearset that's in the trans checks out ok and the thrust surfaces in the case are good, it's a few hundy right there at least. Not to mention the rest of the stuff there too.

16. Just the shifter? :rolleyes:

17. Andy

Andy

Flatheads, 32-36?

18. Awesome! Thanks! I'm really happy. This is going to go a long way to making my AV8 cheap...:D The cool thing about this stuff is I bought a model A cab from this guy. He lives about 7 blocks from me. He has a street rod 1940 Ford. When I was there. He said he had some other "old junk" parts of his dads that I could have if I wanted. His Dad was a Old time hot rodder. but he would have to dig them out. I said sure. Thinking I would never hear from him again.....this is the "junk":cool:

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Nice!

20. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Looks like a B cam because of the fuel pump lobe. Tranny is '39 style with an earlier rear mount. As mentioned, the loose output shaft is correct for an open drive setup. Looks like a '38-39 lever and the straight one is a big truck four speed lever. I agree that the handbrake is '32 and the steering box looks '32-34 to me. One rear retainer is for open drive and the other is '42-48 with the narrow spread.

Will Kimble

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That tranny is one of those famous TOP LOADERS you hear so much about. I'm sure somebody building a Cobra clone will be paying top dollar.

Kidding aside - nice trove of stuff - seems like others have given you the correct (or nearly so) answers and ID of your new toys.

dj

22. Thanks everyone.

23. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

if you can, pull the top cover off the tranny. looks like an early synchro but not the double detente 39 which is the better one.

24. It's got the late gear set nearest I can tell. Though I will be honest and admit to never seeing either.

25. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

I put zephyr gears on a 38 ford deluxe and it looks the same

26. I don't know what that means :eek:

27. Hope the gears are okay.

[​IMG]

28. barnfind08

barnfind08
    from minnesota

Woops! You have a box with spur gears from a 32-35 in it. Too bad.

29. what does that mean? And can it be fixed or upgraded? does that mean I have a hodge podge of parts? A late box with early gears?

30. 99A code on the bellhousing indicates 1939 merc.