Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 64 Comet Build for Sema.....Its build time....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Total Performance, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for checkin into the thread. Heres the deal, I own Total Performance Motorsports in Nor Cal. I have been asked to do a SEMA car by a few dealers that have participated in some of my past builds. So we said yes, but the perameters for a build like this from my shop means quite a few things;

-I am a huge Ford guy, so this will be a great way to really showcase all that I love and put it out there for all to see

-All the money is coming out of my pocket to promote the Shop and the manufacturers parts (yes i still have to pay for them).

-EXTREAMLY long hrs in the shop

-Time off my 64 Gas Ronda Thunderbolt build and the 64 Fairlane 500 H-top gasser build

-Did I mention it'll be a ton of cash....

-The attention to detail is going to be huge

-A bit of compromise in running newer components

-Money..Tons of it..

-Time is an issue, the build needs to be in the Vegas Convention Center the first week of November 2011

-It'll need to be a trick eye catching piece that really speaks a ton to the target audiance

All that and so much more, As you drop suggestions for the build know that the focus of the build is a very heritage filled Mercury that has a majority of old school infuence with a mix of new school technology.

There are a few things that I do know the car will have;

-A Ford Small Block

-9" Ford

-A Sh** Load of style

All this and there still is no guarantee that it will be at the event due to any number of things that could go wrong, materials, paint, parts failure and unavailable original parts. I could lose huge but if it all goes to plan it could be great for our business.

Please give me your responses, and remember, I came to you guys first because so many of you are just like me, a regular dude with a regular life.

Heres the pics, Lets create an awesome ride together...

THE Car!

Post your thoughts and we'll get together after we have quite a few ideas in the wind.

Attached Files:

2. jamn47

jamn47

Just a couple thoughts. Maybe the new 347 BOSS you may get the Motorsport boys onboard. This would be a marketing homerun for them. Plus those valve covers are just too cool right? I would go with the 63-1/2 Galaxie Egg Shell Blue ( I think thats the color?) I would then throw the factory T-bolt steel type wheels, powdercoated 1985 Mustang GT gun metal grey. Maybe get Currie or Strange onboard with a nice 9". Just my opinion.

3. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

I'm all eyes and ears on this thread!

4. SOHC427

SOHC427

I will follow the build as well. Get to know Mercuryjunkie, as he is a wealth of knowledge, and parts!
    Eric

5. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Doing a 64 Comet now for Dan Griffin. Dan is currently in Iraq. Car will feature MII, 9 in, 427/480 inch, 5 speed and power, cruise and air.......Will use a new Genesis block and some of our hi riser heads and tunnel wedge intake. Will be white with a little candy red and one of those twin snorkle hoods. Plans are to roll it out early in July.

Mark

6. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Wow a Gas Ronda car...I heard getting the rights to use the likeness of his car is major $$$.

The Comet looks cool to me as is. Should be an interesting project.

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Old school BOSS 302, manual tranny, all decked out in period NASCAR or T/A trim. Complete interior, but done in a "minimalist" style.

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I agree with Pir8Darryl.

9. Another vote for Trans Am Livery!

10. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

The Gas car is going to be done with Gas and Randy Ritchey, son of Les Ritchey. Gas and I have a great relationship that started at the Bakersfield drags. The car as I see it is going to be an extension of him, his say on all that went into it in 64' and nothing more. We are capturing an American Icon in a very American iconic activity. Not many people know he is a patriot as well as a great businessman. He surved the country in WWII and came home and started a few succesfull businesses, a dance studio in So Cal, and a resuarant called "The Gas House". You can tell im, pretty into the whole feeling of the build. I've spent the better part of 8 yrs collecting ALL of the correct parts for the rebuild, correct guages, interior trim, underpinnings and all. Randy Ritchey has a NOS center oiler 64' that is going to drop in the Fairlane. I am so passoinate about that Fairlane build that we have one chance to get it right. With a great guy like Gas involved you can't help but have it be great. I believe that Gas is so excited about the car as well because he knows im not just some ass thats gonna tell him one thing and then do another. He also knows that I will never sell the car. It will be in my possession until I die, than off to a museum. The greatest thing is that he is going to teach me how to drive it like HE drove it. Awesome. I love the man, and I love the guy behind the drag racer. he really is a great guy, so to do a car WITH him is a true honor. Thanks for the interest. I'll cover the build on here as well. Randy is getting the group at HOT ROD poised to cover it as well.

But back to the Comet now....

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  11. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

I'm still not sure what direction im going to fully take this build though I am sure at this point I am ready for the challenge of building this car for the SEMA show. So me and my sweety put the car in its bay (in the shop complex we have one bay for each project, that way all the parts dont get mixed up). She and I got to work stripping the car down to a shell to get it to the paint shop after initial fitment of parts. I want a clean slate to work on this project and what will hopefully be a "master piece".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  12. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Sweet idea, I always have loved that. Keep the different directions rolling. You guys are coming up with some great stuff....

13. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Great cause for one of our fighting patriots, and it'll haul ass...

14. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks for the heads up with mercuryjunkie, I can use all the great leads I can...

15. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

Inspiration? Local Northwest car...

[​IMG]

16. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Great idea jamn47, I love the heritage in this. I also love the idea of getting the Ford Motorsport guys on board. And hell yes, the valve covers are sweeeeet.

As far as color goes, this too is where I will want to stay to vintage Ford colors for the build. Not some crazy way off glitzo weirdness. So your suggestion hits home. Some of the other colors along with the blue is of course the Wimbleton White and Vintage Burgundy of ALL HIPO Ford car lore.

Great stuff here guys...We are all on the same thought process.

17. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Bad ass ride for sure. Very cool. Surely serves as inspiration. Any ideas of the drivetrain and suspension in this car?

18. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I know I'll be following this thread!
    Cool car and it's going to be a rare gem when it's done!

19. jamn47

jamn47

I'm trying to find that color? my buddy in the service picked up a bench seat 4-speed 390 police interceptor 631/2 hardtop that was originally that light blue it's different, the interior was the factory medium blue real sharp. I read how you wanted traditional/modern combined and a small block. Tried to hit all your points, good luck can't wait to see it.

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

21. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks a ton, I appreciate all the extra effort and thought.

22. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

As you can see by my background i'm partial to drag cars as well, but im open to everything here. As well as I just love it all, My feeling will be it will be a bunch of these great ideas put into one. So keep em coming.

23. 76cam

76cam

Yep Drag Car gets my vote...

24. jamn47

jamn47

Found the paint code, check it out, 1963-1/2 Galaxie; Paint code- Y -1553. Sales name ( Glacier Blue ) on brochure. Trim code- 32-Lt Blue/Med Blue. Sorry, it was just driving me nuts till I found it Ha Ha!

25. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Drag car for sure, the Comet as far as I know was never used in Winston cup, Nascar or whatever they called it in '64, the Marauder was the Mercury of choice in '64. Nice looking car to start with, thats always a plus. Good luck, will be following along......

26. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

I forgot what he told me what he was running in that Comet.

I vote for a stock burgundy color. I've had 2 burgundy Comets. One I painted Wimbleton White and kinda wish I left it burgundy sometimes. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Period drag car gets my vote TP.Looks like you have a great solid car to start with.
    Someone mentioned it's a"64 Cyclone". I'm pretty sure the car you have pictured is a Caliente.Altogether different option/trim level car.

I'll also recommend checking the "64/65 comet" thread here for some great reference and extremely knowledgeble folks.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335534

28. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Clearspot, as we speak im in here working on this baby. The name of the car is always so important wityh these builds. The car will sport alot of performance ques from the 64 Performance Comet program. We have another 64 Comet Cyclone that I love for some very specific reasons. The lack of gingerbread on the car. It's got a very cool look. This car will follow suit in that regard and will be a sort of a Cyclone clone. Hopefully when people look at the car they will say, that's Psycho...

Hence the name of the car is..................

.....................................PSYCLONE..........................................

Hell of a multiple meaning huh.

I feel that when I start a build on any car I try to get a vibe for what the car is and will stand for. Even not knowing the true full picture of this car as of yet I can feel the vibe this car is giving me. And its pure, Psyclone.

I often feel that the motor/engine is the heart of the car and the rest is also the sum of its components. But the builder is the soul of the car and always will be until the car is gone hopefully long after the builder is gone.

So its happening, the car and I are really starting to "feel" eachother.

Lets do this.

29. Great thread! Subscribed!

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Awesome plan PT!

Not a '64.But here's an image of a '66 altered for inspiration.

Attached Files: