Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Great tech article Ryan! I've been wanting to do this in my Imperial

3. daily_driver

daily_driver

Very nice tech article, now I have no excuses to wire up an amp in my truck. Thanks! -DD

4. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

The traditional ipod app

5. ventilo

ventilo

great - I'm desperately looking to find a reasonable amplifier running on 6 Volts though. Any ideas?

6. octobeak

octobeak

knarly, I am currently doing this exact thing in my 46, Nice write up as usual

7. Subscribed for future reference........great article by the way.

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

I was looking for something just like this!
    cool cool cool

I had installed the same type speaker in the dash of my '47 when I had it out, knowing in the future, I would be doing something like this.

Some things I could hide in my glove box.

Is there an input for standard aux jacks too? Or one that has the option of both? I could use my phone and run Pandora thru this setup too

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Sweet! Might have to run a similar set-up in the Buick... if I ever get that far. :D

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

That's the only way to fly!
    fordf1trucknut came up with a great setup that a few of us are using.
    Inexpensive with big results and no G**CO commercials like XM satellite radio?

11. Yes!!! I can finally ditch the head unit I have awkwardly mounted to the underside of my dash!

12. Little Terry

Little Terry

Does that kind of setup work ok with a dyno, or do you need to be running an alternator? - sorry, but I have no clue about ICE systems.

13. Paul Y

Paul Y

Terry, it works fine with a Dyno.

Use one of the £15 amps off of eBay (there are lots on there) and build a box to put the speaker in and tuck it down behind the seat.

It is worth looking on YouTube at the tutorials for making a speaker box as they give you formula for working out the optimum size etc. Or you could do what I did and just make it so it fitted....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LP838-3-C..._Amplifiers&hash=item4155a54be5#ht_3756wt_975

This is the one I have. It has an integrated volume control and you can stick a subwoofer in it. You might laugh at the thought of a boom box in your truck but without it the sound is very...shallow?

Stick an iPod to RCA connector on there, again eBay is your friend...they even have one that charges as you go, and you are ready to rock out!

Whilst not as neat as Ryans, it works well. I have my amp behind the seat where it is out of view but easily reached to adjust the settings. TBH though this still leaves the iPod volume controls operational so once you have set it to your liking use the iPod in the usual way.

Make sure that you have a good number of earth leads running from the engine to the chassis as these are cheap amps for a reason and they will pick up interference if not grounded properly.

Sorry for Hi Jacking the thread...

P.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

TECH WEEK WINNER! haha
    Nice, neat job with the install and the write-up Ryan.

15. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

I wish I had read this six months ago - would have saved me a load of hassle and money!

16. RichG

RichG

Ipod: check. Amp: check. Wiring: check. Heck, I figured it was going to take a bunch of components all cobbled together to get this to work for me, what you've done is just plug and play! Very cool indeed!

Thank you for sharing this Ryan.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree 100%. I love the way old tube radios sound. Hell, I collect them. I just couldn't afford one for my '39... they bring huge bucks.

18. Labold

Labold

Ryan I have been waiting for this one since you first mentioned it a few wks ago.

I have been wanting to upgrade my sound system too. My car has a cassette deck mounted under the dash (installed by previous owner). It isn't too noticeable but I have never liked 1). where it was mounted and mainly 2). it being a cassette deck. I tried using a discman with one of those connectors that have a cassette with a plug/wire coming out of one end. It was ok but it skips alot, the discman eats batteries and it seems to always either be in the way or ends up sliding down between the seat and the passenger door.
    I don't buy CD's anymore and mainly listen to Pandora. I don't have an I-pod (other than the one built into my I-phone). My original plan was to mount a regular $99 CD player in the same spot where my cassette deck is located. Most all new CD players have an auxillary plug on the front to hook up your I-pod etc. but the deck itself still sticks out like a sore thumb. I think I am going to follow your lead and try the I-pod/I-phone dock system.
    What happens if you are using your phone as an I-pod and you get an incoming call?

Anyway, great post.

19. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Great tech article. So easy a Caveman can do it........

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very, very slick idea and installation. Thanks for the idea, and directions. I think that I might even be able to do this! Not having sounds in your daily driver does get old after a while and now that you have that smooth, quiet runnin' flatty, you can enjoy your tunes without the lifters keeping the beat!! Nice work!

21. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

22. that's really cool... I did a cheaper version and just bought a RCA cable to 3.5MM headphone jack and went from amp input straight to my headphone jack. Down side is all controls must me done on the ipod i.e. volume.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The music fades out and your ring tone plays over the speaker.

If I would have had a stock and working '39 radio in my car, I most certainly would have used the RediRad thing. It's great in that you keep your stock radio and can utilize the old tube sound we talked about earlier.

As for quality, that's a little bit like comparing apples to oranges.

24. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Cool idea with the volume knob.

25. Nice clean install. I had planned on installing some tunes in my Hudson last year, but it was one of the things I never got around to...

Thanks for the easy to follow tech!

26. jasone

jasone

Great tech, gonna save my pennies to do a similar set up, that Fosgate amp install kit is nifty.

27. shoestring

shoestring

Thanks ryan. I'm going to get busy on this. No more driving with one earbud in.

28. grander

grander

I have been waiting to see how this is done and will give it a go in my 46 Ford. Looks easy enough! Thanks for the post!!!

29. mosimpson

mosimpson

Ryan-

Quick question. It looks like from your schematic and pictures that the PAC LC-1 has female connectors at both ends and the input on the Pioneer GM3400 2-Channel Amp is also female. Is this true? How did you adress this?

30. dawford

dawford

I was just talking to one of my sons about my plans to install a low power system in my Model A Woodie.

My goals were to have a system that was loud enough to overcome the noise of a more or less open car Model A Ford while not using so much power that it would run down the battery if it were set at a low output for several hours unattened.

I when I get the car to the point where I want to show it I would like to be able to play some Ragtime Piano music at low volumn inside the truck just to add some early ambiance. "Maple Leaf or Intertaimer Rag" type of Piano playing.

When I was in Jr High School I was in charge of the Public Adress Crew who set up the sound systems for the Assemblies, Special Events and Dances.

We thought we were in heaven when we purchased a new 25 Watt Newcomb amplifier. Up untill that time the big amplifier was a 15 watt Ariel.

We also set up the Lakewood Pan American festival at Pan American Park.

With that 25 Watt amplifier running at about 50% volumn we got complaints from neighbors about the excessive volumn of the festival.

Now days everyone wants hundreds of watts of power from their TVs and Sterios. I think that it is a testosterone thing, similar to 800 hp in a T Roadster.

Modern speaker manufacturers sell what people want so they make speakers systems that can withstand that amount of power.

In my quest for a low power system that will fulfill both of my objectives, being able to overcome the noise of Model A and being low enough power to not run down the battery if left on for extended periods without the engine running, I came up with this solution.

Use a MP3 player for storage. It has its own long lasting battery that is charged independently of the car battery. I got Apple MP3 for Christmas that measures 1 3/8" X 1 3/8" by 5/16" that holds 2 Gigs of music. Thats more than anyone could possably need for this application. Hours and hours without a repeat.

Use a 10 Watt per channel solid state amplifier. $9.99 shipped from ebay.

Now the speakers are another issue. Most modern sterio speakers draw way more power than is necessary for good acceptable sound quality.

Did you ever wonder how 4 flashlight batteries in some knuckleheads boombox radio could ruin your day at the beach or a camp site without running down.

This offers a solution to my problem. I will go to a garage sale and purchase a small boombox that has detatchable speakers and install them some place in the car.

In my case the back of my ex mail truck woodie is much like a Model A Huckster and I will just screw them down in the corners behind the seat.

If I like the setup and decide it to put in one of my other projects I will probably remove the speakers from the case and install them under the seats or dash.

The secret to the sucess of my project is in finding the lowest watt amplifier over 5 watts per channel and using portable radio speakers.

Wiring is pretty simple on the amp that I bought.

The wire from the MP3 to the amp is a standard sterio earphone to RCA jack sterio jumper. They can be bought in several lengths. The MP3 player can be hidden or locked up in a small box.

The Amplifier uses a standard 12volt DC jack plug either from Radio Shack or parts on hand (old 12 volt power supplies).

The speaker wires are self evident and hook up like any sterio wires.

Addendum: After this original post i decided to set up a proof of concept literally on my breadboard.

The power supply was one of many from various chargers AC to 12 vilts DC 500 mA that I had on hand but it works the same as the 12 volt battery on your car and the 500 mA means that the power needed to power this system is less than 1/2 amp/hr. Meaning that you could leave your system on over night and not run your car battery down.

The speakers were bought some time back at the 99 Cent Store and work well enough to meet my second criteria of being able to put out a pleasant old time ragtime ambiance.

After all real honkey-tonk Ragtime wasn't Hi Fi Sterio any way and real boombox speakers will provide a decent sound and more volumn than I can stand while driving my a Model A Ford even at speed.

The sterio earphone to split RCA jacks was in my parts on hand inventory but can be purchased almost anywhere.

After hooking up the amplifier i was suprised to see that there is a multi color led that puts on a light show behind the volume controll in time to the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9gzZJ344Co&feature=fvst

Dick :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011