Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress on Vette Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 231ramona, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 231ramona

231ramona

Progress has been slow but its getting there. I've reworked the firewall area and installed a polished aluminum flat one. I have the pedals installed and the bracing from the firewall to the frame completed. The steering is pretty much completed. We have a fresh 427 and 4 speed in and I have one side of the headers almost done. We got the collectors off of e-bay and they fit the area between the frame rail and the inner fender very well. We will cap them and run a pipe off the inside and under the car for some modest mufflers. I hope to get back on it hot and heavy soon. We really need to have it done this spring. Its dragging out. If anyone is familiar with this car, I would love to hear from you.

Attached Files:

RODIST and Mitchell de Moor like this.
  2. WOW! That thing is serious looking! Love it.

3. Yup........that thing should really hall .......Nice work

4. That is so cool. It would make the purists go crazy........

5. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Is that all original numbers matching? I like it keep up the good work. Are you going to make it street legal?

6. that thing is nasty. in the best way.

7. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Killer ! love it

8. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Man I love that car!!!! I have been DREAMING of such a thing. This is a pic I look at often. Great to see someone doing one!!

Attached Files:

Mitchell de Moor likes this.
  9. Butch M

Butch M

wow its lookin great love those wheels.....

10. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Boy, If that thing was some sort of rare big block or fuel injected car dont even think about mentioning it. What a cool gasser !!!!! I cant wait to see it finished.

11. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

That thing looks wicked. I like it a lot.

12. 231ramona

231ramona

Thanks for the positive comments. This car has been a gasser for a long time and from what I have been told was out of the Columbus OH area. It was candy green at one time and ran at National Trail Raceway. The shot of it with the front down is the way we got it, so it was in very good shape to start with. It has an Olds/Pontiac rear with a spool and is very beefy. Our plan is to make it barely street legal for short distance cruising. I have had it mocked up with the floor, seats and dash installed so it's closer to completion than it looks. My next step is to complete the headers, install the radiator and get it running and pulling itself around.

13. 231ramona

231ramona

Here's a few more shots:

Attached Files:

14. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Do You get the one finger salute from the corvette geeks when the see it? cool ass set up.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Man!! That thing has had some serious reconfiguring since it rolled off the assembly line. Thankfully it looks like the work has been done correctly and with an eye for toughness. If your going to alter one of these to this extent this would be a bluprint on how to do it right. Keep us pdated on any more progress, especially when you get it running down the track.
    One thing you might want to change is the collector pointing straight down. A turnout to the side/rear might be better. Once you start it on a dusty surface you'll know why.

Frank

16. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

thats what i asked for from santa he must of messed up.

17. smarg

smarg

Geezz, thats stupid cool.

Good lookin' stuff going on there.

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammm cool...love the headers.

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That thing is mean lookin'! Can't wait to see it progress.

20. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Those headers are bitchin, and that rear suspension is about as classic gasser as it gets. Lift bars, air-lift springs, and old coil overs. It's period perfect!

21. blue57ford

blue57ford

Yeah! What Royal said. I'm diggin those headers.

22. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

wow im not a big vette fan but that one just made me a gasser vette fan that is so cool looking cant wait to see it flying down the track

23. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Very nice... What's going to be sticking through the hood?

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very nice! That looks fast sitting still!

25. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Rad. Rad. Rad. Rad. Rad.

26. Muttley

Muttley

Hurry up and get it going, we need a YouTube video STAT.

27. 231ramona

231ramona

Thanks for all the incouragement! Makes me want to get my ass out to the garage. We originally planned to use off-the-shelf fenderwell headers but couldn't get them to work without a lot of modification. I ordered two different sets and with the way the frame rails spread out behind the wheels they just would not work. We found the collectors on e-bay and thought they were pretty cool and period as well. They need to be shortened a little and I agree that a turn out is needed. The passenger side was pretty easy to fab but the steering on the drivers side will make it a little more difficult. I used a new Ansen style pedal assembly and it works great with the Chevy pickup master cylinder. We plan to have a single four barrel with an aluminum scoop through the hood to start but we also have a tunnel-ram and two fours for the future. We are undesided on the color. We like the color thats on it and will probably spot it in and use it for a while but the car was candy green at one time and I like that idea. We have fiberglass shell seats and plan to have the interior in black with silver metalfake inserts.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

28. studeboy

studeboy

Subscribing to this one. Gonna be one BADASS ride when done and I don't wanna miss it. Some Hilborn injector stacks might look sweet poking thru the hood. Just a thought.

29. apound

apound

I've got a really rough 67 Vette. Now I know what I'm doing with it. That is just too cool.