Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found Stude Gasser_Thanks to the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltownrodder, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Just wanted to send a thank out to all of the HAMBers who helped me locate The Boss 1939 Studebaker coupe that I have been looking for for a LONG time. If it wasnt for the listings, info and photos I was able to post on here Im sure that I never would have found it.
    Its been sitting in dry storage since the early 80's in Del and I want to thank ..(fellow Hamber) ,Earl for keeping the car for me all those years.
    I took the car over to the previous owner/driver that has'nt seen the car in over 40 years, and he was estatic that his old car was still around. The first 2 photo's are Charlie Garrett looking at the car today at his shop in Hanover ,Pa. Hopefully with his help and memory I plan to rebuild the gasser to the way it was in 1965. Plans are to rebuild a 301 sbc with 4 speed and hilborn injection.
    Hope every one has a HAPPY NEW YEAR:)

Attached Files:

2. violet springs

violet springs

Great story, those old Studebakers make good looking gassers.

3. Hi, Good News!!! Glad to see ya got it goin on!!! Have fun! Keep us posted!!!! R~R

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Excellent needs to be the way it was.

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

6. 52lomofo

52lomofo

tell me if is the same year of car if you send me an email can you post for me

7. 52lomofo

52lomofo

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks great, not the typical HAMB find. Good luck with the rebuild!

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Great New Year project

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

What a great beginning on that gasser restoration, and to bring so much joy to the previous owner/driver is just too cool!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

12. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Thanks guys...........I plan on getting it back to the way it was as he raced it in the mid sixties. I hope to be able to go to the drag reunions in a year or two.
    Some one years ago someome tried to street rod it, and tore the straight axle out and put in a mustang 2 front end under it. We also have to replace the rear with the correct chevy truck rear.
    The floor and half the firewall was also missing but will be easy to replace. My goal right now is to get it built in less then 2 years.

Attached Files:

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Keep us up to date on your progress. Was it black for a while? It could be my senility but I remember it as having a beautiful black paint job with on the name on the door.

14. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

When the car was raced by Garrett and Lillich in the early sixties it was red at that time. Sometime in the mid 60's Charlie bought out his partner ,rebuilt the Stude and painted it black. When it was red it had the Kidney bean style Halibrand rims, but he used the larger window rims when it was black. Heres a couple shots of the car from the late 60's.;)

15. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Sorry..........Something wrong with our computer and won't let me post photos...........I think it took a dump

16. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Lets try this again.

Attached Files:

17. ...I remember that car from an old magazine article; always one of my favorites...
    I always liked that homemade grille.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  18. old tin 38

old tin 38

What a great story and plan. The shots of the original racer with it now are to much..:D

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Whew! I feel better now. I guess I'm not senile yet. :D That was a pretty bitch then and I'm sure you will make it that pretty again.

20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

What a great story to start off 2011!

21. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Rusty1...........The picture's not very good but heres the article from Hot Rod Magazine in 1967.:D

Attached Files:

22. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

ah the power of Hamb cool story

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great find. Good luck with the restoration of a pretty neat old gasser.

24. 52lomofo

52lomofo

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Did you post a thread looking for the car?
    I would like to have seen the whole story unfold.

I didnt realize it til now but a stude looks just as cool as the fords and willys of that year when done rite (like yours was)and maybe even cooler because of its rarity. CONGRATS!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  26. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Skidmarks..........We were told about that car lot on Maryland ave when we bought it. He told us that he remembers seeing the stude on the car lot with the straight axle and somewhere between that time and the time he bought it the damage was already done. We were also told that it had NASTY painted on the side at one time either in the late 70's or early 80's and had flames painted on it. The previous owner told us that he has had the car in storage since 1981 and for sale a couple different times. I did'nt see the Buick you were describing but he had a boat load of cars.

27. Toner283

Toner283

Cool Car!

The body looks like it is in great shape. Do you have all of the trim for it? Hope so, that kind of stuff could be tough to find.

So is it going to be black or red?

Looking forward to more build pictures.

28. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

Like AC/DC Back in Black.;)

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just wonderin' did you ever see it run back then? What got you looking for it? I saw it run at Capitol Raceway in Crofton Md. It was verrrrry impressive. It always stuck in my gray matter. I hope we can see it run again!:D

30. ltownrodder

ltownrodder

I was'nt old enough to see him run the car in the early sixties but I have known Charlie since 1978. The idea came up one day when I told him I was going to look for a 40 or 41 Willys coupe to build. We all know how hard it is to find a steel car and the prices are out of hand. He then showed me pictures of his (poor mans Willys)) 39 Studebaker coupe that he had built and I was hooked. We became good friends right after I bought the remains of his old 33 Willys gasser that he also drove. If I had only known that the old Gassers were going to be the rage they are now I would have restored it as it was back in the day.
    I started that project back in the late 80's and early 90's and had already made the change to a rod. When I bought that car it was already rolled 3 times and left for scrap,so this one is twice as nice as the Willys.

Attached Files: