Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Swoopy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Dec 25, 2010.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've always been a sucker for cars that look like they can go really fast, even when standing still. It's mostly about implied aerodynamics; sleek, apparently streamlined body lines that suggest speed. I also like cars that look athletic, like they could corner and stop in addition to going like a streak. There aren't a lot of cars that successfully combine the look of speed with an athletic stance, but there are a few.

The cars that have that kind of agile look have mostly been sports cars and racing cars -- I know, not the proper subject of this board, but we're talking about art & inspiration here. So, here are some inspirationally swoopy, agile looking cars from that OT world:

[​IMG]
    One car that really does it for me is the Aston Martin DB4.

[​IMG]
    Another car that is right on the money is the original Ferrari GTO, which worked as well as it looked. Obviously it hit a lot of enthusiasts' sweet spots, as they now change hands (very occasionally) for upwards of $10 Mil.

[​IMG]
    Another Ferrari race car that captures the perfect balance was the first Testa Rossa from 1957. This was a pure competition car.

[​IMG]
    This Scaglietti-bodied Corvette might have become the original Cobra, if Chevrolet and Ferrari hadn't gotten huffy about it. It certainly has the look, and could very likely have had the handling to qualify.

[​IMG]
    The Lancia Stratos was a blindingly fast mid-engined rally car. Its shape doesn't suggest the same high speeds that some of these examples do, but it certainly has the athletic look down. Athletic it was, too!

[​IMG]
    In the prewar era, French body builders Figoni & Falaschi built the ultimate swoopy cars, this one a Delahaye imitating a hovercar. They were relatively fast highway cruisers, but it'd be a stretch to call them "agile".

[​IMG]
    In a similar prewar/swoopy vein, an exceptionally handsome Delage.

[​IMG]
    And finally, the Czechoslovakian Tatra, again more swoopy than agile. Adding to its coolness was its rear-mounted hemi V8.

OK, enough OT examples. Hot rodders and customizers have often followed the lead of these swoopy cars; here are a few classic examples:

[​IMG]
    The immortal Pierson Bros. coupe, and...

[​IMG]
    The equally renowned Chrisman Bros. car.

[​IMG]
    Not a comp car like the two above, and probably not much more agile for going around corners, but the Calori '36 certainly captured the look.

But up until the musclecar era, with Camaros and Barracuda fastbacks (waaay OT for the HAMB), the rod & custom community rarely combines the elements I'm talking about. It's not that there are no suitable candidates around; there were some really good-looking fastbacks built between 1941 and 1952.

[​IMG]
    Lee Pratt's '41 Buick made a spectacular sled. Could this body style -- or any of the GM variants of the period -- be done with a more athletic looking stance?

[​IMG]
    The '47 Packard Clipper was a handsome fastback, too. Maybe it's too heavy looking to ever look really agile, but I'll bet it could look great on a low rake (no skirts, of course) with some aggressive wheels and tires.

[​IMG]
    The '48 and up GM fastbacks were great looking, too. This is a rare '48 Olds 98, but any of the GM models from this to a '50 Chev fastback could make a terrific looking hot rod. Dare I say Pro Touring on this board? I like 'em, even if they're OT.

[​IMG]
    Out of the fastback style here, but the '53 Stude has always looked fast and sporty. There have been a few good looking rods made from these, but I think the best is yet to come.

Whaddya say? Anybody else feel the urge to have a sleek, agile car made from one of these '40s-'50s models? Any pictures out there, real or imaginary?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. Joe-405

Joe-405
    from Oklahoma

Yes sir these are cool

4. Algon

Algon

Here are a few.

Attached Files:

5. Philbilly

Philbilly

Those are all cool! I've always liked the Chevy fleetlines with those flowing lines.

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

I always loved the original Green Hornets car a 37 Zephyr
    [​IMG]

7. Deuces

Deuces

I'll probably get an ass chewin' for these ones...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  8. Algon

Algon

Talbot...

Attached Files:

9. Manche

Manche

oh yes.... customs could use that treatment

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Did someone call for Swoopy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

crosleykook, hfh and chriseakin like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

How about the Costin bodied Maser?? Oh yea...

Attached Files:

283john likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did someone mention swoopy Astons??

Attached Files:

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whenever I see one of these, I think "Bad Stirling, BAD!":eek:

Attached Files:

14. Swoopy cars..

Attached Files:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks a lot like an XK-120 coupe.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Might be straying out of bounds here, but always thought this was one of the swoopiest looking Can-Am cars. Most guys dont realize one of these also ran the series with Chevy power. Both were a total flop on the track, but looked GREAT as they were getting lapped by Mclarens and T-70's.

Attached Files:

18. Jags. The 120 is one of my very favorite car styling excercises. Closed or open, it is perfect, classic. I watched the 120 back appear as I drew this sketch.
    That Can- Am looks sharp- obviously nowhere near McLaren aero- wise. No brighter pennies than Brabham & McLaren.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

'59 Stingray

[​IMG]

'60 Ferrari 250 GT SWB

My personal favorite Ferrari, and that's saying a LOT. The tight, eager proportions are righteous.

[​IMG]

treb11 likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The car in the photo is the Shelby-American King Cobra, mostly driven by Jerry Titus, ran the last two races of the '67 series, its best showing was Riverside, qualified 13th, DNFed after 3 laps! Didnt even make the grid at Las Vegas. Both cars were designed by Len Terry, the Chevy powered version ran as a Terry T10, only ran one Can-Am race, Riverside '68. Think it did run some USRRC events, didnt do much to speak of there either. Sharp looking cars though.

21. Cruel irony - McLaren dominated CanAm with superior testing enthusiasm- only cat with sorted cars. They were on a mission, grabbed it by the neck.
    Anyway, back to topic- swoop- Lincoln Zephyrs,as stated, definetely!
    How about Ghia Mopars & that very finny Farina Ferrari?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

GOD YES! I'll see if I can hunt up a pic!

This what you were thinking of? Real Ferraris have one cam per bank, webers, and borranis. GTB's be damned.

Attached Files:

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In a series that was supposed to be ALL ABOUT innovation, guys like Jim Hall, Peter Bryant, Bob McKee and Ray Caldwell, were absolutely DOMINATED by a conservative pragmatist. Theres a message in there...

24. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Old classics from the '30's are hard to beat for "swoopy".

Attached Files:

hfh likes this.
  25. My favourite kinda car from the era - fastback rides from the early 40s to the early 50s.

Deco styled with boat tailed rears.

Awesome.

Keep em comin....

Rat

MM

26. Nice, but no. This-

Attached Files:

chriseakin likes this.
  27. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's a boat tail for you.

Attached Files:

hfh likes this.
  28. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

jeffrey james what is that thing?

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ah yes, The TDF was actually Scaglietti bodied, so i should have known that wasnt what you had in mind. How about this?

Attached Files: