Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with $50?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Dec 14, 2010.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

This last week I was off work and didn't really want to cut much money loose. So I finally started digging into my Coupe that has been an on and off project for the last two years. I started by replacing the bearings in the 350 that was in a rotten truck given to me a year ago ($40 engine main and rod bearings). Then I stared at the engine sitting next to the car for a while.:)
    [​IMG]

Tried to decide what to do with the front suspension. I have a straight axle for the car. As I stared at it, I realized the whole supension is held in with 16 bolts and a steering linkage. Might as well remove that.
    [​IMG]

Oh, also the firewall braces and steering box. After welding up most of the firewall holes and Air Needling the firewall and frame, I was looking at this. The air needler worked great at removing paint, rust flakes, and hardened undercoating:
    [​IMG]

After grinding the welds down and scrubbing with degreaser, I needed to prime everything up ($9.00 primer):
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, I dug out the engine crossmember and motormounts that I had stashed for quite some time. Might as well set the engine in now. I need to get the axle widened before I can hang the front suspension maybe next weekend. A good start to cleaning up all the parts I have stashed all around, putting them to use.:D
    [​IMG]

Garage has more room to walk around in already.
    [​IMG]

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'd say that was time well spent. Love these coupes.

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If you're going to axle the car, you might as well put half the motor under the dash like it should be!

Good progress man! Keep us updated.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

That's how you spend $50 right there. Looks real good!

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have enough trouble getting in around the steering wheel to drive my roadster. This will be my "practical" car.:D

6. Pretty good idea. I have been slowly bolting stuff together from parts I have collected to make more room to move. Amazing what can be done with what is at hand if you just set your mind to it.

Good progress

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I even recycled the valve covers and intake from my roadster. I should soon get to a point where I'll have to pop on a steering box and joints. I do have a complete 9" that will keep me busy for a while on the cheap. Oh, and the $90 sheet of metal that could keep me busy for weeks doing floor panels.

8. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Looks like some good progress. Ya even had a buck left over for a soda!