Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Gang....

Well it's about time to start a new project thread. So here's the deal! It's been about 6 years since my racing days ended and I kinda started getting the bug again. But this time it's going to be different. I know that building another Race Car and going out to really compete is out of the question with my Wife and Financially it just doesn't work. But I MUST have another Dragster.... I miss the days of walking out into the garage and staring at my '68 Shoemaker Car.... Time for another one but what route to take??? I called up a long time racing friend to discuss the general idea and told him that towing down for the Cackle Fest deal would be a hoot! He agreed and said "Pick one and go for it!!"

Easy....

The Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt Car....

[​IMG]

So the story begins...

I have had the July 1966 Issue of Drag Racing Magazine since I was a little boy and have always wanted this car... My Favorite of all time!!! The original car is now 100ft below the surface of the Earth in Australia so we're going to need to start fresh. I will try to post as much as possible along the way and keep y'all in the loop. It won't be as fast paced as my Shop Truck Project but it shouldn't take too much time!

Fire the next pair!

Robert

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

In order to build the damn thing we need to start gathering parts and info!! I decided that I needed to start with some of the King Pins of the whole Cackle Fest movement and put the word out for info about the car. What has followed has been an overwhelming amount of help from some really Bitchin Dudes! They have provided parts and pictures along with many long stories regarding how much of an Ass Kicking car this thing really was! And most importantly how much they all want to see it live again!

He's a few more shots of the thing back in the day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  3. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The Original Gang:

Left to Right: Lee Sixt, Tim Beebe, and "The King of Garden Grove" Dave Beebe!

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  4. dbradley

dbradley

Just one of the important rules for cacklefest participation:

<center> </center> [SIZE=-1]If you are considering a Cacklefest restoration or recreation other than one you have previously owned, the subject project must have the ongoing approval and cooperation of the original principles (or their heirs). Cars of no original prototype must have a strong connection to the era. There are qualified, knowledgeable people willing to freely advise you in all matters relating to Cacklefest cars, their safety, appropriateness, and correctness.[/SIZE]

http://www.cacklefest.com/guidelines.shtml

5. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The First Parts....

[​IMG]

Cool just a roll bar and shit right??? Well not quite....

On the phone with Frank Fedak mining data about the whole deal and after about an hour or so on the phone he says... "Hey that car was built with a bunch of RCS parts including the roll bar and back brace tube." Yeah... "Well I was there when they closed up shop and I got all the remaining sets that they had! There is 2 left and a torsion tube as well!. I send them up!"

Wow no shit! The same shit as once was??? And NOS items sitting on the shelf! Hot Damn! Off to a good start!

6. squash

squash

Okay so you got my attention! I'm subscribing to this! This is a dream for me to be able to go to my garage, roll out an FED, fire it up and just let her eat in the drive way while the neighbors just shake their heads! I love it!

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yep 100% correct.... There is full involvement from the Key Folks on this deal so no need to worry... Tim Beebe and Lee Sixt have been a huge help so far in tracking the history of this bitchin car. They get monthly updates from me and are kept breast of all things going on!

8. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

I'll subscribe to this string as I sold him some parts for the car.
    dwrfab Don Ross

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Gonna watch this thread.....very cool.

10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's the start of the Motor Parts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cool thing here is that Jim Murphy happens to live about 15min away from me here in Sonoma County. Well it also happens that Tim Beebe is his crew chief to this day on his Front Engine Fuel Car... Tim and I are on the phone and he says... Ah well you should head over to Murphy's and round up some parts... I did just that...

11. rick finch

rick finch

Subscribed.....:cool:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

this gunna be good!

13. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Then I started to think about frame rails and such.... Need to get that big radius bend... Hmmm......

Well everyones trusted Favorite "KING CHASSIS" steps in and says, "Shit why don't you just call H&L metals down in Signal Hill and get him to bend it? He's bent all the pipe for all the guys since the 60's!" OK... Will do... Picked up the phone and sure nufffff... I need a 9" radius bend in 1.5" ChromeMoly. Oh you must be building a top fuel car... While Yes, Yes I am.... No Problem... Give me a few days.

Here's a shot of the tubes all mocked up on top of my Chassis Jig/Table.

Side Note: I talked with Lee Sixt last week for my Monthly Update... He says, ah shit... A Jig! no... I just built the damn thing on the floor.. The cost of a jig was the same as the cost of tube for the chassis so why the hell would we spend extra???

Classic... It keeps getting better....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool project!! Was that car 150 wb, or? Glad your getting parts help. Lippy:)

15. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So.... Then we need some wheels and tires.... Halibrands!! And Slicks!! The real shit!! Well... I get a email from a good friend. He has located a set of wheels and tires and is OH SO happy to have found them. But he is keeping them for what comes next. I say RICEMAN! Can I have them for my deal?

Several weeks pass and I get the best phone call ever... Sure Man... They are for you you! Here they are in the back of the truck. Roger Kick's Ass!!! These things are bitchin!

[​IMG]

And some shots of my little helper get'n after it with the polish!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soooo Bitchin....

Deuces likes this.
  16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Hey Lippy,

Thanks Much! This car was 143" when it rolled out the door... Typical of the '65 era..

Cheers,

~Berto
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  17. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

subscribed

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Subscribed, I am a sucker for FEDs. Many happy memories of wheeling the alcohol injected flathead car that is my avatar!

19. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

When working on any project we must scan Craigslist and the Classified Section here on the HAMB because you never know what will turn up! I saw an add one morning for some HEMI valve covers and the price seemed right so I blasted over to this fella joint and sure nuff! IMPERIALS.... Just what I need!

[​IMG]

Then while sifting thru the classified adds on here I happened across this fuel tank. I thought the car had a typical moon tank in it but the more I studied the ports and the shape of things it became clear to me that it really was an Ellco Tank. And the one listed for sale on the HAMB was exactly the same! Order Up!

Here's a shot of some of the earliest pieces...

[​IMG]

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a few more Classified finds....

A totally sweet HAYS 2-Disk clutch via Kiwi Kev!!! This will work just fine...

[​IMG]

And then a steering box.... Super nice and like new condition P&S box from Chuck Kurzawa!!! RamChargers Fame!

[​IMG]

Deuces and fourspd340 like this.
  21. Looks like a nice project to follow along with. Best of luck to you building it. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it.

Steve
    "Pontiac Heaven Special" AA/FD

22. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Very cool indeed!!! I love the old fuel cars of the 60's!

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

I use these photos for pure inspiration...... How BITCHIN is this?????
    [​IMG]

And then a little night fire.....
    [​IMG]

The thing to keep in mind here is that this car along with these few guys just about dominated the SoCal scene for most of 1966.... They drug home over $30K in prize money just for tat year alone.... Did it Haul Ass??? I think so...

:)

Can't wait!

Deuces likes this.
  24. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

So then I'm sifting thru some more Craigslist Ya Ya and come across a set of Pistons for a 426. Nice set of Venolia's but that's not the point... I give the guy a call and say, "Hey what else ya got around there???" Well head on out and have a look.... Sure Nuff!!! More Shit!

NOS Hurst Brake Calipers
    A Perfect 8 3/4" CHRY rear end with axles narrowed up!
    And a sweet set of 2" belt that have the proper hardware for redoing a vintage fuel car.

Load'em Up!!!

[​IMG]

After dragging this home we need to lay things out and take a look at the loot!

[​IMG]

THE PILE IS BUILDING!!!!

[​IMG]

Time for more Motor Shit....

Deuces likes this.
  25. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Awesome post. I'm getting excited for you with every new part you find. Can't wait to see the end result.

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

My group of HotRod buddies from the Peninsula are always on the look out for shit and a day doesn't go by that we don't get a chain email listing some new GEM here or there around the greater Bay Area. Well here comes a nice little '32 Ford Pick-up project and it's right here in Santa Rosa! Great... Down at the bottom of the add it says HEMI parts!!! Phone Call and WE'RE OFF!!! Blast over to find several hundred pounds of IRON...... Just What I need!

Cranks, Heads, Rockers, and another Block!
    [​IMG]

Ah Yes... The A-1 Block... Gotta Have it!

[​IMG]

Now lets see the pile!!!

[​IMG]

Better each and every day..... :)

Deuces likes this.
  27. kingpins

kingpins

awesome thread!

28. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Sittin here with a big smile. Cant wait.

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Then we headed on up to the Race Car swap meet in Sacto a month or so ago cuz there surly was something to be had there??? Well not much but we did score the Cragar Intake and a nice set of SPE Rotors and Hats! That'll work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another Blast thru Craigslist turned up a Blower! Gotta have an original GMC 671 because we need to make sure the case and bearing plates look period correct... Can't have any modern stuff on there... This will get sent in for a complete once over her soon.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.