Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got me a 48 Hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38nash, Nov 23, 2010.

1. I have been looking for a late 40's car for a while and found this 48 for sale in Littlefield Tx "Waylon Jennings" hometown , just outside Lubbock who is Buddy Holly's hometown:)
    The last owner found it 10 years ago on a field in Earth Tx , it has a very low serial number , car No 256 of the stepdown models , built the first production month Oct 47 , 775 cars produced the first month.

It will need new brakes , brake and fuel lines to be a driver.

I have a vacation house in Tx , just got home to cold and snowy North Norway.
    Looking forward to be back in February , to get the 48 back on the road.:)

Some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Very cool car. Looks to be in pretty nice shape. When you get it done don't be surprised when some know it all comes up to you and says "hey, I really like your Mercury, I had one just like it".

3. esmith2039

esmith2039

I'm jealous.. would love to get a Hudson Hornet someday.

4. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

I had to read it twice. You go to Norway for the winter and come to Texas for the summer. I think I would do the opposite.

Great looking car.

5. Thanks , I think 4 door looks even better than 2 dr's , seems like the roofline is lower.
    The generator,starter,gaspump and carburator is already rebuilt , new water pump also , so that makes things a little easier.
    I am going to keep original engine ,trans and rear axel , but will put more modern suspension and brakes on it , when I can effort it.
    But for now, I just want to get it roadworthy :)

All the lights,wipers and heater fan still work.

6. TexasDart

TexasDart

even the license plates go with the car...D48...:) Nice ride.

7. Hi Mac Texas
    You know a okay Texas winter is very nice Norwegian summer:D
    I live not far from the arctic circle , over there it will be around Fairbanks Alaska...
    I usually stays Feb,March and 2 months in the fall , but have been over here almost 5 months this year , I have a great wife letting me stay so long:)

8. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OH MAN that sucker looks nice,great shape ,wish I had it.I always liked those Hudsons. They remind me of the cars driving around when I was a kid. Those ART DECO cars are cool!

9. Looks like a pretty solid car. Hudsons are great...ask anyone who owns one!

10. skoh73

skoh73

Man oh man, I love those Hudsons! Great score!

11. Thanks , Can't wait to be back in Tx in Feb to start working on it, I hope to attend the Texas Thaw with it:)

Hudsoncustom, your car looks good.:cool:

12. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Cool car!!! Hudsons Rock.......

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You had to ruin my morning ,I always wanted one ,Congrats ,looks like a nice car ,,,,,What are your plans........

14. big bad john

big bad john

....congrats on the Hudson........enjoy.......Big Bad John

15. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

good looking old Hudson! Texas has a great Hudson club chapter with a lot of fantastic people in it. hope you enjoy this old road warrior once you go thru her.
    PaceRacer50

16. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Welcome to Hudson ownership. These cars ride like tanks. Love my 51 Hornet. You'll enjoy yours as well....

[​IMG]

17. Thanks , I didn't know about the Texas Hudson chapter.

18. Man.......The Hudsons are coming out of the woodwork...

Check out my thread on the 49 I found recently. I will be starting a "For Sale" thread shortly...because the 40 Coupe is at the top of the list....I wish I could keep them all.

Congrats on the find...it looks real nice, I wish I knew more about them.

Murph

Attached Files:

19. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Very nice car! I am a Buddy Holly fan , but please don't name it Peggy Sue. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Congratulations.

20. I am going to keep original engine ,trans and rear axel , but will put more modern suspension and brakes on it , when I can effort it.
    But for now, I just want to get it roadworthy

I will probably upgrade to a 308 cid, if I find something reasonable.

And a tuck'n roll upholstery is also on the list..

On the outside, I probably keep it more or less original , lower it and maybe a 2 color paintjob later on, you know how it is, its all about time and money:)

21. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

can you post some pictures of the engine in there now? most of the 48-50 Hudsons have already had their engines replaced with later model Hudson engines. I might be able to id it especially if you get some drivers side shots of the lower block and front of the cylinder head.
    and on updating the suspension... my 50 with the original suspension handles just as well if not better than most new cars on the road today... the brakes do suck! these were true drivers cars of their day.
    PaceRacer50

22. Hi
    Good to here that it handles well with original suspension.
    I have only one picture of the engine , not any good one..
    The car is in Tx and I am in Norway, but I will ask a friend of mine over there , if he can shot some pics of it.
    The only one I have.

[​IMG]

23. sololobo

sololobo

Neat car bro, nice that it came with a factory chopped top. One of the ultimate cars to own. Congrats!! ~Sololobo~

24. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

the top height is what I love about mine... the side windows are so short when I go to the bank in her through the drive-thru I have to turn the little plastic tube thingie sideways to fit thru the window!