Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
kustombuilder
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: GM Performance's So-Cal Bonneville Fleet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's always amazed me that the "retro" inspired new cars get so much criticism. I mean, we bitch about Detroit being stale, but when they push the envelope, we make fun of them.

The PT, HHR, and SSR might not be your thing... But at least they have a personality-annoying or not.
Sent from my iPhone using The TJJ App
(available to hoodlums around the world soon)

I nearly ordered a PT Cruiser before they first hit the streets. the salesman ticked me off so i didn't do it. don't care for them now but when they first came out they were neat.
I also worked at the factory building the SSRs right up untill they closed the doors (they eventually tore it down) and got to spend a little time behind the wheel of one with the 6.0L and a 6 speed. pretty cool vehicle. got looks and compliments EVERYWHERE you went, and not much beats cruisin in a drop top.
My latest daily driver is a 2008 HHR that i have, so far, resisted the urge to modify. i plan to drive it into the ground (i do 150 miles a day just going to work and back). i like to day dream about some day resurrecting it with an LS7 V8 and box tube chassis... but i guess i'm getting a tad off topic aren't are.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
BStoltz
Alliance Member

Dam those are some sick cars.......a few years and a whole lotta luck and i might be on that design team!!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
Rex Schimmer

The Ecotec lakester that they actually ran at B'ville was somewhat of a turd. I don't think it ever ran over 200, if it did it wasn't much. I talked to one of the young, "I know it all" engineers from GM that claimed to be the aero guy on the car and I asked him why it was not faster than the original So Cal lakester and he said (I am not making this up) "Well the original car had a V8 in it!" The GM lakester had a turbo Ecotec engine with enough electronics to launch the space shuttle and it couldn't beat a Bobby Meeks flat head on a little nitro.

Rex
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #24
Payne

Location: At the track, in the garage, or on the road somewhere on the West Coast

Very Cool!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #25
Brickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
They built a whole new car at SO-CAL.
I was told otherwise.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...02#post2288002
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #26
Beef Stew

Yeah, they built a new car.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #27
moefuzz
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_Chief View Post
Ugly doesn't go far enough when applied to that Cadillac monstrosity.
It's unfortunate that they wouldn't 'crack the hood' on the original belly tanker to show what bonneville racing history was really all about. But that would have given a nod to the competition -as old as it may have been.

Placing the tanker in amongst a line of GM stuff just seems to me to be misleading the public by associating a great part of past history with something that GM has never had or held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
A TON of heritage there. Alex Xydias is so vital to that history and keeping the spirit alive.
Long live the Flathead Ford

(all just my opinion of course)

Last edited by moefuzz; 11-19-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #28
oaktree
Alliance Member

Man, I would have loved to have been there!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moefuzz View Post
It's unfortunate that they wouldn't 'crack the hood' on the original belly tanker to show what bonneville racing history was really all about. But that would have given a nod to the competition -as old as it may have been.

Placing the tanker in amongst a line of GM stuff just seems to me to be misleading the public by associating a great part of past history with something that GM has never had or held...

Exactly what I was thinking regarding 'poppin' the hood', but I do think it was relivant and fair to display the original Lakester to show where they were coming from.
As far as "show what Bonneville racing history was really all about", don't forget the 'Jimmy 6' was there too, followed by the Cad, Olds, Buick and Poncho OHV V8's not to mention the great Chrystler Hemi and others.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #30
Bobbyhotrods
FNG

Yeah, I was oogling and photographing the HHR in the line at Sunnyville. The car was friggen gorgeous! Then 2 minutes later it was gone...stunning twice!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #31
Beef Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Schimmer View Post
The Ecotec lakester that they actually ran at B'ville was somewhat of a turd. I don't think it ever ran over 200, if it did it wasn't much. I talked to one of the young, "I know it all" engineers from GM that claimed to be the aero guy on the car and I asked him why it was not faster than the original So Cal lakester and he said (I am not making this up) "Well the original car had a V8 in it!" The GM lakester had a turbo Ecotec engine with enough electronics to launch the space shuttle and it couldn't beat a Bobby Meeks flat head on a little nitro.

Rex
Actually, the lakester didn't have the full race turbo motor. It had a very mild motor that was still using the stock Eaton supercharger that came on the Cobalt SS and Saturn Ion Redline cars. It only made a little over 300 hp so they fact that they did actually eclipse 200 mph (it had a best one way run of 203 mph) says a lot. So the little 122 ci four banger wasn't much of a turd and there aren't too many cars that can go 200 mph with only 300 hp. Probably had something to do with aero.

I think it's really really bitchin' that GM and So-Cal teamed up and I love the fact that they used the four banger Ecotecs. Too cool.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 AM   #32
KolkataKustoms
FNG

These are cool cars and all...but I need to burst the bubble of Government Motors and let them know that Alex Xydias ran a Ford. I guess if you shell out enough money you can buy anything, including heritage.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #33
xderelict

I salute the General and So Cal for their efforts.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #34
nukeGM
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolkataKustoms View Post
These are cool cars and all...
but I need to burst the bubble of Government Motors and let them know that Alex Xydias ran a Ford.
I guess if you shell out enough money you can buy anything, including heritage.
And if your the gobernmint? I guess you can change corporate heritage to boot
what a load of publicity stunt spray painted with intermittent sheeple flat black hood strips accented by cadillac plastic coated chrome plastic plastic plastic.
I'm sorry, I see nothing more than gm trying to reinvent history.

-----------------
the most loved of
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #35
Candy-Man

Well I just give credit to all the garage monkeys who put these Bonneville cars together using a newer body style, whether it was the tanker or the HHR. The cars may not be traditional in every aspect, however; they certainly have some spirit of days gone by with the style of the build.

I don't care if barely broke 200 MPH or not, the builds are pretty kool... Just my opinion which isn't worth much !

http://candyshotrodsupply.blogspot.com/