Register now to get rid of these ads!

47-54 Chevy truck cab turned into fenderless rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silverado, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Silverado

Silverado

I could have sworn I saw a pic of a truck done like this...

Does anyone know or have pics? Brainstorming here...

I may regret this, but what is your opinion?

2. Regret this idea.

Cab is to wide and the shape of the cowl without fenders is not nice.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Saw a guy do what you want to do with a '42 Ford truck cab, no fenders or hood, and a deuce grille. Cab looked way too wide, out of proportion. Cowl looked funny too, with no fenders attatched. Don't let that stop you from doing it, just consider modifying the cowl for a smoother look and narrow up the body about a foot. Just sold a '40 Ford cab to a guy who's going to make a fenderless hotrod out of it. I hope he doesn't leave it full width. It would take some work, but if you're a good fab guy, I'd say go for it, you could start with a sheet of steel and make a hot rod out of it, if you modify it enough.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am glad it is not a real popular idea as I want to build one and I do not want to see myself on the road. I have done a lot of planning on this type of truck. I want to use a 54 cab and make it a roadster. I plan to shorten the bed and move the rear wheels nearer to the cab. It will have trailing arms (nascar type) rear suspension with coil springs. The front axle will be moved forward and may be on ¼ elliptical springs. The frame will be Z’d front and rear to make the bottom of the cab close to the ground. I would like to use a hood with the front part of another hood flipped and welded to an original hood to make the front end. No grille just a round smooth front and partial side curtains. I have some of the parts gathered and I want to mock one up for photos but I have been busy with other projects. I think that by relocating the wheels, lowering, and the right tire and wheel combination, it will compensate for the slight wider body.

6. BELLM

BELLM

PM me your e-mail address & I will send you a picture of a Chebby PU I saw @ Goodguys FT Worth last year. I'm too lazy/dumb/F'in old/hardheaded to learn to resize pics to post here.

7. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hahaha.... omg that thing was a piece of work

8. BELLM

BELLM

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. Build what you want & drive the hell out of it!! The one I saw last fall definitely caught my attention, even though it was not what I would do. Too many cookie cutter script built cars in the world. Including mine. Gotta do this, gotta do that. Seperate from the pack, go for it!!

9. DrJ

DrJ

Wasn't Killer doing one/ Narrowed and the uglies molded out of the cowl?

10. Here is an illustration by Jimmy Smith:

11. Anderson

Anderson

If you're gonna do it, don't half ass it. It can look good if done right, though it might be more work than it's worth. For example, this one from Goodguys looks horrible. Right means you're gonna have to build a new frame, move the body back and shorten the bed a lot, and chop the shit out of the cab (though you're thinking roadster) and dare I say narrow it too. I'd use a pre-54 cab so you could get around the curved glass.

The other pics are photoshops using a ford cab, and the last one is a model I built using a ford cab.

12. Hip

Hip

I agree completely with BELLM. Do what you think looks good don't try and carbon copy every one elses idea. Think outside the box and do your own thing. in my opinion i do think you can make ANY 50's down cab look good if you know what your doing and you know the look your after. GO FOR IT!!!;)

13. what is with the '56?

14. Hip

Hip

The other pics are photoshops using a ford cab, and the last one is a model I built using a ford cab.[/QUOTE]
    Damn fidgiter, your right on the money with the bottom two!!! See, its what you do with what you got , and you did a killer job on the lower two. Makes me want to run out and get a 50's ford cab! :D

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

16. Definitely could be cool.. You DEFINITELY have to narrow the body though...

If you don't it will look like $hit!!

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

18. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm wrasslin' with a similar animal right now.

My suggestion would be to take measurements from something like a '35 Ford pickup....and copy them with your raw materials (50's chevy? or whatever). This means CUT, CHOP, WHITTLE, NARROW, and obliterate the original vehicle.

Pay damn close attention to proportions and flow and "rightness". Look at a lot of pics of trucks that look good and copy the ideas.

This thing looks like SHIT:

[​IMG]

The proportions are off big time, the grill shell does NOT fit the cab....and one of my personal pet peeves, the grill shell is waaaaay too far in front of the front wheels. I prefer the grill shell to be in line with or slightly behind the center of the front wheels. Even the "Rudy" truck kinda bugs me with the placement of its grill shell....and its in the "right" place for that particular truck.

Whats with the YELLOW??? Is that supposed to draw the eye away from the fat assed cab? Jeez, what a mess.

.....and I actually dig "different", I just want to see it done right.

19. Anderson

Anderson

I can't take credit for the photoshops, but I don't remember who did them. I asked about the same thing using a Ford cab here a looong time ago. I did alter the second photoshop though, here's the original.

20. BELLM

BELLM

Thats nice!!! Somebody build it!!

21. Thumper

Thumper

I fully intend to.......just gotta round up the pieces.

22. Build it! I'm doing a '47 Ford. These cabs are an untapped resource!

23. DollaBill

DollaBill

I have to step up here and suggest that I thinks its a great idea...on the other hand, I may be the only one that thinks that, insofar as I am building one.

The concept has its detractors. Nevertheless, I think I'll be able to pull it off.

I'll post update pics this week, hopefully.

24. zgears

zgears

here's why it's dumb......... because in most states its illegal to drive it. post 35 and no fenders = tickit.

25. OldSchoolObee

OldSchoolObee

Pa is now fenderless/hoodless/bumperless..pre 48:D

26. zgears

zgears

kick ass.... im just saying its good to know the law before ya build something that will get a ticket. i like the idea of avoiding legal entanglements.

27. Killer

Killer

Double Fuggly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The things I used to do...

:D

28. DollaBill

DollaBill

California's fender law makes all cars in excess of 1500lbs illegal to operate without fenders.

Which makes every hiboy ever registered in CA illegal..well, those that weigh in excess of 1500lbs, anyway.

So...my guess is that people, including cops, in CA generally ignore that rule, dontcha think?

How about Oregon? What defines a "street rod" in Oregon? Well, lets see, shall we? Here's an excerpt from the Oregon Vehicle Code:

801.513 “Street rod.” “Street rod” means a motor vehicle that:

(1) Was manufactured prior to 1949 or was manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle manufactured prior to 1949;

(2) May be equipped with a drive train, suspension system or brake system that is different from the drive train, suspension system or brake system originally installed on the vehicle;

(3) May have alterations to the dimensions of the original body of the vehicle; and

(4) Is not a motorcycle or an assembled vehicle. [1997 c.402 §2]

And, so now..."we know the law". My truck is registered as a '47. So, in both Oregon and CA, I win :)

29. zgears

zgears

before you get smart with me.. heres the Oregon Vehicle code 815.190 (5) "Fenders or mudguardards are not required on any modified Amercan-made pre-1935 vehicle or any identifiiable vintage assembled vehicle or replica"