Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
deuceroger

Default New 32 Ford 5 window steel bodys!

I just got back from the Sema show and met up with the the owner of the new 32 5 window thats going to be produced. The complete body should be done in Jan or Feb next year. The only part I didnt like was all the scanning and measuring was done in the U.S, but all the stamping is going to be done in China. The body is roughly going to be around 22,000.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
aussiesteve
BANNED

Default Re: New 32 Ford 5 window steel bodys!

Saw that as well.I,ll reserve judgement until I see a complete body.

RIP ED
Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Harrison
Old School HAMBer

I'd guess that, without an amazing amount of tooling (like Brookville) or inside access to some of the shops that supply OE manufacturers, stamping it here would cost a fortune.

Sounds like someone with a great idea is finding a way to make it happen. We'd probably all prefer it be produced here but at least he is making it happen.

"Made in China" can result in quality. Not ususally perhaps, but it is possible.

Can't wait to see it done.

JH
Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
ejay$
Grenade Inspector

I like that people/companies are taking more initiative but for that much $ why wouldn't you go with the Made in USA one....? Not that it matters to me seeing how both options are WAY out of my league.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Minewithnoshine

I'd like to see it done. One of my concerns is with over seas quality of metal. Our supplier switched over to an over seas manufacturer of steel and it was garbage, they said they had numerous complaints about it so they switched back to US made steel. Guess we'll see when it comes out.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
thunderbirdesq
Old School HAMBer

Great... a chinese deuce...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I'd guess that, without an amazing amount of tooling (like Brookville) or inside access to some of the shops that supply OE manufacturers, stamping it here would cost a fortune.

Sounds like someone with a great idea is finding a way to make it happen. We'd probably all prefer it be produced here but at least he is making it happen.

"Made in China" can result in quality. Not ususally perhaps, but it is possible.

Can't wait to see it done.

JH
If they have a space program they shuld be able to build '32 5 window bodies. Where we get in trouble is not specifying what we need, inspection, and pushing the price too low.

Charlie Stephens
Old 11-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
jcmarz
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdesq View Post
Great... a chinese deuce...
Might as well, everything else is "Made in China", thanks to our Government.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
JimA
BANNED

It said "Same thickness or thicker than original". It didn't have any inner panels, but what was there would go a LONG way at repairing all the junked out bodies out there. This is the ONLY current manufacturer of steel 5-Window doors, quarters and cowls- a USA alternative isn't available. The stuff that was shown looked 10,000 times better than the complete CRAP those guys from Dearborn Deuce tried to sell as a 3-Window a few years ago. Not one body line was even close and each panel looked like it was pounded out by cavemen with stone tools. They were "American Made" crap!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
ScottV

In my business I see alot of products from China. The "crap" from China is that way because of quality control (or lack thereof). I like everyone else would have to reserve judgement until I see the product, but would also say it could be great if the build process is closely monitored and quality is governed. I hate the idea of it being "Made in China" but there really is not a New Made in the USA choice at the moment. Will I buy one ? Probably not unless I win the Lottery. I am huge Duece 5 window fan and it is nice to know the option is there.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
skidmarks
Old School HAMBer

i would rather have a 32 5w over a 3w (personal choice) but i would never buy one stamped out in china, EVER. it could be done in the USA but you can thank the goverment for that . i should also leave politics out of it but you really cant. 32 fords were originally made in the usa and so was hotrodding

wasnt that speedway 32 roadster stamped out in africa?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

I'll reserve judgment until I see one but it would be interesting to see if they intend to offer individual body panels.
The body it's self is out of my price range no matter where it will be made.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
gnichols
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay$ View Post
I like that people/companies are taking more initiative but for that much $ why wouldn't you go with the Made in USA one....? Not that it matters to me seeing how both options are WAY out of my league.
The reason it's made in China is that it probably only cost 3K to make and ship and the designers / importers can pocket major proffits even with discounts to their distributers and dealers. If they sold it at a "reasonable" mark up, these new bodies would be no more expensive than a glass body and anyone who wants one could get one. That would be the single greatest thing about imported stuff. But NO, the greedy bastards just keep raping us by charging the same amount it would cost if made in the US.

I knew a guy who imported model trains. He ordered enough to keep an entire Chinese toy factory making just his stuff. When someone asked what his personnel costs were, he said 50K per year. That 50K was't just for the President of the factory, it was for everyone in the entire fucking plant. He sold his stuff for less than the competition and made a ton. He could have sold them for half that price and still made a ton.

That's why stuff is made in China. And why we keep paying out the ass for it. They make it cheap there, but sell it here at a price that is equal to what it would cost "if" it WAS made in America. These guys put Americans out of jobs and make more profit than ever. There are lots of rod parts made off shore... and we just keep buying them. Especially if they are "cool." The cooler they are, the less frequently we turn them over and see where they were made.

Errrrrrrrr. Hit a sore spot with me. Gary
Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
skidmarks
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnichols View Post
The reason it's made in China is that it probably only cost 3K to make and ship and the designers / importers can pocket major proffits even with discounts to their distributers and dealers. If they sold it at a "reasonable" mark up, these new bodies would be no more expensive than a glass body and anyone who wants one could get one. That would be the single greatest thing about imported stuff. But NO, the greedy bastards just keep raping us by charging the same amount it would cost if made in the US.

I knew a guy who imported model trains. He ordered enough to keep an entire Chinese toy factory making just his stuff. When someone asked what his personnel costs were, he said 50K per year. That 50K was't just for the President of the factory, it was for everyone in the entire fucking plant. He sold his stuff for less than the competition and made a ton. He could have sold them for half that price and still made a ton.

That's why stuff is made in China. And why we keep paying out the ass for it. They make it cheap there, but sell it here at a price that is equal to what it would cost "if" it WAS made in America. These guys put Americans out of jobs and make more profit than ever. There are lots of rod parts made off shore... and we just keep buying them. Especially if they are "cool." The cooler they are, the less frequently we turn them over and see where they were made.

Errrrrrrrr. Hit a sore spot with me. Gary
not only is the markup unreal , but also remember the human rights issues. slave labor thats making your hotrod parts. im sure this thread is going to get locked down over this
Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
rgaller
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpin paint View Post
Hey,

Can some splain the legal ''mumbo-jumbo'' on the production of a product like this to me? This design and/or facsimile thereof was a Ford Motor Company product. Do automotive designs have a time limit on copyright infringement? Jus' cuz the chinks build the tin, off shore, do they get to duck the royalities to the design's owner? Does the seller
/buyer pick up the tab on that? I know the model car compaines pay big coin to GM , Mopar & Ford for use of company design & name, but I've seen lots of repopped tin over the years (usually from China or Taiwan) without any legal ''mumbo-jumbo" i.e. paperwork. Is this ''bootleg'' tin, or has a fee been paid beforehand?

Thanx,

Life ain't no Disney movie "
"Chinks", huh? Very classy.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
falcongeorge
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
In my business I see alot of products from China. The "crap" from China is that way because of quality control (or lack thereof). I like everyone else would have to reserve judgement until I see the product, but would also say it could be great if the build process is closely monitored and quality is governed. I hate the idea of it being "Made in China" but there really is not a New Made in the USA choice at the moment. Will I buy one ? Probably not unless I win the Lottery. I am huge Duece 5 window fan and it is nice to know the option is there.
Amen. Before I got married, I used to have a close personal relationship with someone who was head of quality control at a Chinese company that manufactured high-tech electronic wastegates and valves for the oil industry.
The reason there is so much junk coming out of China, is because THATS exactly what the AMERICAN based companies that peddle the junk are asking for. They dont go over there and say "who can turn out a quality product for me to export back to the US?" They go over there and say "who can do this for me the cheapest, so I can maximize my per unit profit?"
Simple matter of supply and demand, and the demand is for cheap junk.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
studematt

I won't own a foreign car let alone buy a deuce made in china at any price. I think I just heard Henry Ford roll over in his grave.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
296 V8
BANNED

Good news-----I prefer the five window
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Pez
Alliance Member

Looked into this regards to replica cars a while back, think it is a very short time from end of production, 3 or 5 years springs to mind, then replica's can be made.....

Happens all the time in the, I'll use those swear words words, kit car world, how many Cobras are out there?
Using registered brand names and logo's is a no no.

Ford would have dropped the hammer years ago if there was any detriment or legal issues, you could buy GRP 32 roadster bodies, T bodies back in the 50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpin paint View Post
Hey,

Can some splain the legal ''mumbo-jumbo'' on the production of a product like this to me? This design and/or facsimile thereof was a Ford Motor Company product. Do automotive designs have a time limit on copyright infringement? Jus' cuz the chinks build the tin, off shore, do they get to duck the royalities to the design's owner? Does the seller
/buyer pick up the tab on that? I know the model car compaines pay big coin to GM , Mopar & Ford for use of company design & name, but I've seen lots of repopped tin over the years (usually from China or Taiwan) without any legal ''mumbo-jumbo" i.e. paperwork. Is this ''bootleg'' tin, or has a fee been paid beforehand?

Thanx,

Life ain't no Disney movie "
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
tradrod
Grenade Inspector

This thread may get "locked down", but there is alot of truth to the previous threads....just sayin'
Closed Thread