Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering wheel resto pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VirgilHilts, Nov 4, 2010.

1. I wanted to post some pics of the wheel repair my youngest brother did on his ( my old ) '64 Marauder. I bought the resin for him and he experimented on his wheel first. My '64's wheel is in better shape but on its way out too so mine will be next. I'm trying to convince him to build some custom wheels (tinted and metal flake) since he's unemployed at the moment. He's got the skills but he needs to be a bit more organized!

He doesn't have any of the build pics but basically he makes a form around it larger than it needs to be and then files and contours the finger grips by hand to match the originals. Then polishes the whole deal.
    The bottom was black originally but he is going to do it in clear too for better effect.

Attached Files:

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Im impressed. Almost makes me want to take on my decrepid steering wheel

3. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Looks sweet , I cut mine to make it smaller and now have to get it round again , fill in the spots I cut/welded and paint. Anyone have a good method on how to get it round? I was thinking a hydrolic jack ?

4. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

holy crap , that looks good . I thought bout doing that & baking the paint in my ole ladies oven .

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

OMGzzz!!! That is awesome! I'll take a '59 Olds wheel just like that please! How much and how long? :D

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i used stick epoxy on a '39 banjo and it turned out nice, i need to figure out paint though

7. hey fellas, i found that paint for the fridge works pretty good.

had a picture of a fridge on it and said it was 'apliance epoxy' or somethin like that. its pretty darn durable. much more so than regular paint.

8. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

that clear is NI-ICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

makes me think my wheel with the silver metal flake paint job will be so - so....that's classy !

9. lawman

lawman

Nice work. Tom (Tired Old Man)