Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1942 hudson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Oct 31, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

So before you start laughing, which some ouf you will before I am done posting these pix, there is a LONG story to go with this car. It started life as a 7 window ( unless you count the split rear glass as sperate windows? ) big car.

[​IMG]

Here is what happened to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That in itself was an accident.

Now this was all before the guy I got it from bought it. He was fresh out of school and wanted a cool old car. I bought his old mainline http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466595&highlight=choptvan
    and it's parts car so he was lookin for something else. He came across this. It had a high horse 350/350. And a new harness, new gas tank and a few other things that came across as appealing to him. He saw some serious potential. So the deal was struck and he bought it. A few days after he bought it he got in a REAL bad car wreck. He had not even gotten the title work all cleared up quite yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a parts car from kansas and this is when he found out the car was a 42 not a 40! He had bought a 40 parts car. So none of the parts fit correctly. They had to be made to fit.

This prompted some work to be done. He had always wanted to get something more done to it to make it his own, so what better time than now. This is where the problems started. He began stripping filler cuz it had some cracks, and started to fix things like the rear window opening on the doors.

[​IMG]

This is where things really started to go wrong. The new trans broke, the driveshaft turned out to be to short. So he got a new trans, and then he got the driveshaft shortened up. Got it all installed, and then the rear end broke. He decided to get rid of it. I had a 66 dodge truck that he wanted. IT wasn't completely done, but neither was the hudson. SO he drug his ass down to CO from Vegas, and we traded them out.

2. choptvan

choptvan

When I got ahold of it I was pissed. Last time I had seen the car, it didn't look so bad!

the rear hinges had been welded to the roof so it began to crack

[​IMG]

And all of the " chop " had been put together with pop rivets and layering metal over metal ( I am assuming to make it stringer? ) and using a few tack welds. In some spots the metal was over 3 layers thick! All riveted together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am scared to find out how he moulded the rear fenders.... lots of cracks here to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

door frames

[​IMG]

so cool! Kustom for sure. Right? Metal over metal. Doesn't even fit right.

[​IMG]

My personal favorite, lets play hide the rust! I was suprised the fukr did not use a damn t-shirt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Poor old car. At least he tried to do something with the rear door windows. What are your plans for it?

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

IMHO, something needs to be done with the back door tops. That squared back door, even with the rounded, added panel, looks terrible.

Any plans there?

5. X2 on the rear doors! As you have figured out, there is little interchange from a '40 and a '42 Hudson.

You have a neat basis to start with (improve on!) There are few '42 Hudsons out there, and even fewer customs, so you will be unique, to say the least. Best of luck on your build! There is a Hudson-Essex-Terraplane group on the HAMB here at:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=109

And a very active Hudson forum here:

http://classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=13&Itemid=129

6. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey Man, bad ass car. I really like it. Fix the rear doors, round ithem and you'll be golden....

7. choptvan

choptvan

So this is where I started to do some research. I have decided that a carson top would be the best way to " fix " it. So here it is as it sits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. choptvan

choptvan

Can anyone help me out here? I need a photoshop of a carson top on here to get a good idea of where to go with it. This way I know what I have in mind.

[​IMG]

9. bent metal

bent metal

Just wait till you start to fix those skirted door bottoms. Lots a fun.:) Ask me how I know.;)

10. choptvan

choptvan

They look like they will be a lot of fun. I mean really. HAHA! What is it you built?

11. choptvan

choptvan

very much so agreed. That is why I need a good photoshop job to figure this out.

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Make that bastard a coupe! Mine was a sedan too.

Attached Files:

13. bent metal

bent metal

I have fixed those before, rust repair. I've also eliminated the skirt from the door. Which is more work than it looks because you have to make new rockers. I don't want to hi-jack your thread. But I could post a picture or two if you are interested.

14. bent metal

bent metal

X2...A coupe would be nice.

15. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

16. choptvan

choptvan

hell yeah! Do it up! The more help the better man. YOu wouldn't be hijacking. No issues here.

17. choptvan

choptvan

I have a HUGE family. 7 of us. I need the space. Part of the reason why the line is going up for sale and the hudson is next.

Anybody on the photoshop of the top?

18. bent metal

bent metal

This is if you fix the skirted doors.

Attached Files:

19. bent metal

bent metal

It's made up of five pieces.

Attached Files:

20. bent metal

bent metal

Now if you decide to get rid of the skirt, you'll have to make rockers. Also you'll need to decide if you want running boards, or not. The bottom eight or so inches of the door will have to be remade almost for sure too. Like this one. Which by the way, was changed to a '41 front end from a '47.

Attached Files:

21. bent metal

bent metal

Closer look.
    And I suspect your floors will be rusty too.

Attached Files:

22. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Quick-n-dirty...

Attached Files:

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here's one with wide whites & skirts. Also got rid of the B & C pillars. You definitely a big car like this with a family of seven!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Real quick one for you. I didn´t adjust the stance. I´m sure it´d look good with skirts also, but you don´t necessarily need them.

[​IMG]

25. The photoshoppers are out en masse tonight!

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

HAHA, no kidding! I like the way you put the edge on there, I totally forgot about it.

27. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I'm a hack...

Attached Files:

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nah, just remember the Three P's, "Patience, Perseverance & Profanity". Works for me. :D
    In fact, the only reason I was able to get clean lines was because James D gave me some good pointers a couple of weeks ago. I just gotta figure out colors & shading.

29. choptvan

choptvan

Good job man! Looks good! Luckily I have the framing and all intact just some minor rust repair.