Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

Well, I have been on here for a while and have had this '51 for a while, but life, kids(3) and building a new house always seem to get in the way of me getting anything done to it. I know it's a 4 door but like I said, 3 kids and the price was right! I help a great friend Racrdad work on his car as much as I can and now he is returning the favor and some progress is being made. I am on a tight budget (again with the 3 kids thing) so progress will be slow. Plans WERE to slam it and drive it but Racrdad has A.D.D. so everytime he comes over we end up side tracked and adding to the list of stuff to do! Its a good problem he has and the car is looking way better than I could of ever hoped for. The idea now is a smooth looking car that everything flows well on with a few minor custom touches.No show car here, just a nice driver. I am trying to stay as traditional as possible as defined by me! haha! Since Racrdad has been on my ass for a couple of months to start a build thread I decided to finally do it, for me at the least. Please feel free to jump in with ideas and comments, I will take them good and bad. So here we go, please be patient as progress will be a little slow. I look forward to sharing with all who care to follow along and learn as much as possible along the way. Thanks and enjoy!

This is the car the day I saw it and bought it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. robleticia

robleticia

Before I built my new house, I didn't even have a garage. So my wife's parents gave me this tent to use as a garage to store the car in and I started collecting parts for the motor as I could afford them to get it up and running. I got a 12V alternator, new intake and headers. Then I found some old carbs on e-pay and had them rebuilt. While I had it apart I put the quicky POR-15 job on the engine bay. Had to cut out the extremely rusted battery tray and install a new one and patch the inner fender. Bought a cheap chrome valve cover to make it look better until I could afford to buy a nice Wayne set. Here it is the day it first fired up and ran like a champ! My neighbors really liked the open headers everytime a got a few beers in me and fired it up! HAHA!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. Racrdad

Racrdad

Finally, a build thread...... hahaha. There is a fair amount done to the car now, I am sure pictures of progress will be added soon. I really enjoy working on this car, its been a blast so far! A.D.D. with cars....... who? Me?

4. Hey, that thing looks like it's in great shape!

It's amaizing how much work you can do for next to nuthin'
    Have fun

5. robleticia

robleticia

Next it was time for some new shoes so I had the factory wheels powder coated black, ordered some Spider Caps, found some 6.70 X 15 firestones on Craigslist and ordered two more. Racrdad hooked me up with a new steering wheel and it was time to rip out the interior and see how bad the floors were. Also if you noticed, it's in the new garage!! YEAH!! At last a real place to work on it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Hi, robleticia! Nice to see a build thread about a 49-52 Chevy like this. I can't enlarge your thumbnail pics though, if they are meant to be enlarged... do they work for you other guys?

7. robleticia

robleticia

not sure what I'm doing wrong? its a crappy cell phone pic, but try this one.....

Attached Files:

8. robleticia

robleticia

I dont know what I was doing wrong but it works now? Here is what I found after I pulled the interior out. SWISS CHEESE! I knew they were rusty but damn! Oh well, might as well change to a floor shifter while I got the floor out! Sorry for the low quality cell phone pics, I have better ones I will post later.
    Rob

Attached Files:

9. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I love the wheel/tire combo. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

10. Joe515

Joe515

Is that the stock 216 underthe hood?

11. robleticia

robleticia

Joe- 1958 235
    Eddie- I will try and post some more updates tomorrow

12. robleticia

robleticia

alright, I need to run new brake lines so screw the floor pans for right now. Time for some more fun stuff...like suspension! Dont get me wrong, I love bagged cars, but my thoughts were to keep it simple, you can bag the next one, next one?? For the rear I went with Jamco 4" springs and a 3" block. For the front, again Jamco, 3" coils with dropped uprights and steering arms. Jamco also supplied the new shorter shocks as well. Had to replace both tie rods while I was in there as the previous owner loaded it on a flatbed and they chained the tie rods, one was broke and the other was a "V". Needed some help with this one so once again Racrdad came down to help. Its a 2 1/2 hour drive between our houses so we try to get as much done as possible when we are at each others house. Here are a few pics of the front end going together and the final outcome. And that is Racrdad posing with the car, notice it was taken in August and he isn't even sweating? Thats right bitches, the garage has A/C and Heat! One of the benefits of being an A/C man by trade.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

All pics from the post #7 forward work fine. And don't worry about the pics, seems like your cell phone is well up to the task!

I love wide white wall bias plys on the gloss black wheels, looks great!

My garage surely doesn't need A/C, its always cool like a cellar. In summer days I keep the door open to get some warmth in while working in it... I'm very lucky to have insulation and heat though, I keep it above luxorious 7°C (45°F) throughout winters. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  14. farmer12

farmer12

Great thread. I like how the car is lowered. Much better!

15. robleticia

robleticia

thanks farmer12, your car is sweet. I've been following your build, great work. I never knew that body style could look so good! I love it!

16. JGore99

JGore99

Looks good man. I love this body style and I'm really diggin the straight 6. Stance looks great too.

17. Joe515

Joe515

Love the stance! Where did you get the dropped uprights?
    Did you notch the rear?

18. robleticia

robleticia

Joe,
    Dropped uprights came from National Chevy, i dont think they carry them any more because I just got their new book and they are not in there, however Fat Man and Jamco both have them. All the Jamco stuff went together very nicely, it just took FOREVER to get the parts, but I would use them again. From what I've seen they are all the same. I put my set next to a set of Fatman's and they looked exactly the same? As for the rear, it is not notched, I just removed the bump stops, there is still plenty of travel and it doesn't hit the frame, however, the torque tube hits the floor braces in two locations. I just finished raising the tunnel this weekend. Pics to come later. What are your plans for your car?

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob. What are your plans with your car?

20. robleticia

robleticia

Well.......like I said it was originally just going to be dropped and driven. I got it dirt cheap ($500) and I thought it would be a fast, cheap fix to make a driver out of fo me and the family to fart around in since it was a four door. Then I lowered it and started liking it more and more. Plans (now) are to make a smooth well rounded car that flows well with a few minor custom touches. A little shaving and frenching and maybe a little out of the crown. I'm a little farther along than the pics show, I am trying to get some more pics up tonight. Still far from being ready for paint but I am working on it in my spare time, whatever that is!
    Rob

21. Joe515

Joe515

Get it back on the road :) I just got a '55 235 I hope to get in this spring, and hit some car shows. Then hopefully lower a bit, so I can still get in the driveway, I would like to notch is and air bag it, but that is going to have to wait. I need to figure out how to get a hitch on the back so I can drag around a 50's International pickup bed trailer that my dad made years ago. My plan is to use that to haul my pinstriping display.

22. robleticia

robleticia

Sounds like a plan! I will definetly bag the next one. I just checked out your work, very nice. Wish you were closer and you would be striping my car and my Harley!

23. robleticia

robleticia

Next up is the door handles, they gotta go. Just welding in patch pieces and grinding it smooth for now. Body work will be last, right before paint. For now I will be reaching through the vent windows. And yes that is a bullet hole in the drivers door, there is one in the trunk too but we will get to that later.

Attached Files:

24. Baizie1999

Baizie1999
    from The Ky

Looks good. Im jealous because Im without a project at the moment, except for getting ready to remodel the kitchen, wooo hooo. Figure do that for the wife then she cant complain too much. Also cant wait to hear about the bullet holes. Keep posting progress pics.

25. robleticia

robleticia

Here is the trunk, emblems removed and holes welded up. The bullet hole is in the panel below the trunk, you cant see it in the pics. Went thru the back seat and into the drivers seat. That and one in the drivers door, this guy must have pissed off someone back in the day? Who knows?

Attached Files:

26. robleticia

robleticia

And on to the hood. Racrdad removed the emblems and center trim last time he was down when i wasnt watching, I think that is his way of giving me hints!:eek: I wasnt about to put that shit back on so I started grinding and weldong up the holes. You can use a quarter as a template for the front emblem recessed holes, works great. Welded the patch plates in and started spot welding the two halves of the hood together. I'm very impatient and got in a little bit of a hurry and ended up with a couple of dips in the middle of the hood right next to the seam. Talk about getting pissed off at yopurself! I almost kicked my own ass! HAHA! Anyway, nothing that cant be fixed. Good thing about the HAMB is there is alot of tech articles on here and I have been doing my research on the correct method to repair these. Thanks Ryan for a great site! The objective is to keep the bondo to a very minimum so I will have to do a little more metal work before it gets skim coated. I did not peak the hood as I am going for a "smooth" look. all in all it turned out good and it is starting to look alot better, more like my car and not my Grandma's. Well guys that's about it for tonight, I have to get up for work at 3:30am and dont get home until 5:30-6:30 so i need to get my rest. Thanks for letting me share, see ya tomorrow.

Attached Files:

27. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I love what you are doing with this. Keep us posted.

28. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

frenched antennas and headlights?

29. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Your made a 4 door look cool! I would have left the bullet holes and not paint it either but that's just me.

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

robleticia - Seems to me your going about transforming your 4/D into a cool cruiser. Please, don't ever apologized for it being a 4/D they are cool, if done right and family friendly. I'm working a mild custom '52 Chevy fleetline keeping it simple too. Make the interior family friendly with some nice upholstery and a cool paint job. Resist the temptation to do to much and make it clean and smooth. Good luck on your build. :D

CRUISER :cool: