Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 RPU...Messin' with Some Hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

Been messing with hoods lately. First I needed some rear latch mounts. There's not much a guy can do here, but I tried to add a little style to the standard flat stock tabs.

I went with 3 screws to attach to the frame...

[​IMG]

then laid out for the latch holes...

[​IMG]

the 2" wide stock was a little narrow for the latch base, so I added a some material...

[​IMG]

then ground and polished...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and in place.

[​IMG]

I will replace the allen screws with some slotted screws...that's just what I had on hand.

[​IMG]

Does anyone have a pair of the early 32 single pull hood latches they'd part with? I have a pair on the front and would like to find a complete set.

[​IMG]

Neal

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think every latch I have around is Model A... but I'll look.

And knowing little to nothing about what is desirable in the world of hood latches... I like the apparently less desirable ones better with the way they tuck close to the panel.

The frame mount looks great.

3. Can't help with the single loop latches, but the rear brackets are SUPER!

JH

4. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great looking brackets. I have seen your ride several times and I am always amazed at the clever workmanship you do. Keep up the great work.

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks guys.

A friend loaned me a pair of louvered hood tops to try out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look neat straight on from the front or rear, but at an angle the outer row looks like it is drooping over the curve of the hood top.

I laid out some 4" louvers on another hood, with 20 louvers in the center matching the hood sides and an angled outer row...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinkin I like that better. Now I just need to find someone that can punch this pattern. A couple of friends have suggested Eric Vaughn?

Neal

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Neal, you are in norcal - right? Tardel has a press...

7. Love that hood hold down bracket! As always

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

I'm smack dab in the middle of CA...but I can travel. Can he do 4" louvers?

9. I know you probably have 300lbs. of welding wire in this truck, & it's been "modified" FAR more than most will ever know, but I'd like it with a smooth hood top. Its just so "utilitarian" looking (which is good). I'd put a stock hood top on it & call it done.

If I had to choose though, certainly go with your angled louvers. The layout is super.

JH

10. Buzznut

Buzznut

Lee Wilbourne can do lovers as well... Lee's Metal Works. He's about an hour northeast of Sacramento...may be too far for you to travel. I'm pretty sure he's a member on here.

11. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just have been in love with this car, and it's gotta louvered hood...

[​IMG]

I might even hafta put an antena on the cowl side...;)

I do have a couple of sets of hood tops, so smooth may be an option...

I did clean up some junker hood sides and put them with my best hood tops...so at least the whole truck is kinda one color now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I get the rest of this little stuff figured out...it'll be time to come apart for paint. :)

Neal

12. Like these?

Steve

Attached Files:

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

No, those are Model A style. See how the hook pulls out of the body on yours and the hook is attached to the body on mine.

Thanks though...

Neal

14. I like the angled louvers. But what I think would be killer, is if the top louvers ran from the inside edge of the hood to the curve of the hood as single louvers. Matching the stock sides in number. I know they would all be different lengths and a PITA.... I think you would have to do that with a pullmax machine? or if it is even possible?:confused:

15. NealinCA

NealinCA

Like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I think it's bitchin on this car...it's just not the look I am after.

Neal

16. Your truck does not warrant those long hood louvers. I vote for 3 or 4 louvers at the BACK of each hood top. KISS

17. McFly

McFly

Neal, I have to agree with Harrison...I love it with the stock top. But if you go with louvers, Eric Vaughn does a great job.

18. Ahh, gotcha.

Steve

19. Just like that.....

....but it looked better in my head....

thanks for the picture. save's me the trouble of doing it myself and not liking it.:D

20. Was kinda thinking similar, either 7 or 8 from at the rear, as it gets a bit 'busy' at the front.

Whatever you decide, that rpu is a great success story from what it was, job well done.

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. you mentioned paint....what colour?

21. I like the smooth top too.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

HTML:
    I might even hafta put an antena on the cowl side...;)

I was so tickled when I found the welded up holes in cowl where the antenna was located when it was first a hotrod. They were welded up when it was made into a restorod in the 70s. I drilled the holes exactly where the first hotrodder had wanted them. I had an antenna already in stock.:D He had a good eye IMHO. Nothing says 40s to me like a cowl mount antenna.

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Neal your truck will look good no matter what but those top louvers on Johnsons car are killer. I'll bet they would just about flatten the hood top during the forming on the pullmax and the top would have to be reshaped.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Neat brackets, they look just right Neal, I think the smooth tops and stock sides look really good on yours.

25. NealinCA

NealinCA

I will have the extra set of hood tops punched...then if if I really don't like it...I can go back to smooth tops. But I just have to try the louvers...as they have been in my vision all along. We'll just have to see...

Neal

26. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

I think the louvers will be the perfect final touch. Nice brackets.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I remember the top louvers on my Riley 4Port race car, they allowed me to see the fire started by the paper towles I forgot to remove from the Winfields.:eek:

bengeltiger likes this.
  28. NealinCA - FYI ... H.A.M.B. Alliance vendor Bear Metal Kustoms is in Morro Bay (waaay closer to Atascadero than the Tardel's in Santa Rosa) ... and advertises that they can punch 1" - 5" louvers: http://www.bearmetalkustoms.com/services.html.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Whatever you decide to do it will be killer. I'm recalling what you started with on this build and I'm amazed at the outcome. Every step along the way has been a step forward and your still going in a positive direction. Keep the updates coming.

Frank

30. I know you'll get it right.