Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post Cord Street Rod Pictures Here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I'm looking for pictures or articles of any Cord Street Rods that you may of come across in your travels. We'll start out with this article from an old Hotline News of Dick and Bev Martins modified 1937 Custom Beverly. Where is this Cord today????

Before you get the wrong idea, the sunroof Cord will stay an original car. I'm actually interested in any pictures or articles of any Cord car.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here are some picture of Kelly Cranes Cord Westchester Street Rod taken at the 2006 American Street Rod Nationals in Florida. Does Kelly still own this Cord and if not, who does???? Kelly was from Duluth, Georgia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A friend is making a Cord roadster p/u from the remains of a 41 Hupmobile (same body as the Cord) and a Cord hood and grille and a International bed and other parts,I need to get some pics of it and post them if he actually got it finished.

4. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I'd love to see the pics no matter what condition it is in. There was a rumor a while back of some one building a Cord Woodie in Michigan but it has never surfaced. Pics of Hollywood Grahams and Hupmobile Skylarks are welcome here too.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine (Bill Daniels) bought this a few years ago. It has Caddy fenders
    and a bunch of other kool Kustom touches.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

6. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks Mick; I recall seeing that car at one of the KKOA Leadslead Spectaculars. I believe it was from Oklahoma at that time.

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is the same car, I can't think of the guys name off hand but he is from the
    Tulsa area. Current owner lives in Carthage, Mo. The Cord is kool as is but I
    like the idea running with Sombreros......

Happy Trails,

Mick

8. Reknowned car artist Dave "Big" Deal (R.I.P.,my friend, I miss you) had a Huppmobile Hot Rod, as one poster mentioned, same "Coffin Nose" body style as a Cord.... I don't know what became of it after his passing a few years back.

9. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Actually, I believe that one started out as a Hollywood Graham but then with the Bustle Back, it could very well be a Cord body with the Graham grille. If memory serves me right, the fellow from Oklahoma also had a modified blue Henry J. It would be very interesting to more of the history of this particular car.

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes that is the same guy....They're a lot of donar cars on this ride. I don't know my
    Cords, it just looked kinda Cord'ish to me...I'll give him a call and find out more info.

Happy Trails, Mick

11. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks for the post. I'm not familiar with Dave Deal but you have my condolences for your loss. Here is a picture of a custom 1941 Hupmobile Skylark which I believe is out of California. I do not know the owner. I would love to see pictures of the Dave Deal car if any one has any.

Attached Files:

12. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

This Bustle Back Cord Beverly appeared at the 2010 NSRA Nats in Kalamazoo Michigan. Whether it is a modified Cord or the owner just put custom wheels on it for this event is unknown. This seems to be the only picture I can find of this car. Any one have any more pictures of this Cord or know who owns it????

Attached Files:

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Hamber boldventure posted these Graham Hollywood pictures over on a thread called "Hupmobiles, any pictures out there" back in 2008. Anyone know anything about this car???? The pictures were taken in Hollister, California.

Attached Files:

14. boldventure

boldventure

With the exposed headlights I'd say it's a Graham. They used the Cord tooling though.

15. boldventure

boldventure

I saw one like that re: color at GG in Pleasanton a few years ago. I'll see if I can find pics that would date the sighting.

16. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

17. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

The Woodie project is mine.....Patience. Soon.

18. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks floydjer

19. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Don Montgomery sent me this note and these pictures of his modified Cord back in April of 2009.

The picture you sent shows the big Buick straight eight engine in my Cord. The photo was taken at a 1952 Russetta Timing Assn. Lakes meet on El Mirage dry lake (southern California).

Attached is a similar photo with me in it that was taken by a Hot Rod magazine editor then.

he Cord set the 1952 Russetta Timing Assn. class B Sedan record record at 137.509 mph using the Buick engine. The photo with the no. 40B on the
    car shows the Cord at the Lakes in 1952.

The other photo with the no. 2B on the door shows the Cord at the starting line at the Santa Ana drags in 1953. Here a six cylinder GMC engine had replaced the Buick engine because the Lakes rules had restricted the engine displacement. The Cord still set the 1953 Russetta Timing Assn class B Sedan record at 135.339 mph. The best speed at for the 1/4 mile at Santa Ana that year was 107 mph.

It is hard to believe that 57 years have sped by since I raced the Cord. It was a fun time.

Best regards - Don.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  20. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

When I see a Beverly that color I can't help but wonder if it's the one my Father restored and sold back in the early 90's.

21. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's another picture of the Don Montgomery Cord and the Cord Custom Beverly that he still owns today. Don sent me this note in May of 2006.

Attached is a picture of my old 1936 Cord sedan taken in 1952. The car had been run at the dry lakes in 1950 and 1951 by Tom McLaughlin, a very good friend and fellow member of the Glendale Coupe And Roadster Club ( GCRC ).The Cord had been converted to rear drive and was powered by Mercury flathead (1950) and 270" GMC 6 cylinder (1951) engines. After the 1951 season Tom decided to build a lighter sedan for better performance at the drag races. He built a 1941 Graham that turned out to be perhaps 500 lbs. lighter. It had the GMC engine for power.

In 1952 I bought the Cord from Tom and installed the big straight 8 Buick that I had been running in my 1941 Hudson sedan. During the 1952 Russetta lakes season both Tom with his Graham and I with the Cord ran in the B Sedan class. The Cord set the class record that year at 137.509 mph. Tom was right behind at 136 mph. Both cars ran 2 or 3 times a month at the drags.

The lakes rules changed in 1953 to limit the engine size which caused me to switch to a 6 cylinder GMC engine (292"). Since Tom and I were in the same club it made sense for us not to both run the same class. Tom put a small GMC engine in the Graham so he could run in the A Sedan class. The 1953 season ended with the Graham holding the A Sedan record at 131 mph and my Cord holding the B Sedan record at 135 mph. Both cars ran at the drags with the best times of 109 mph for the Graham and 107 mph for the heavier Cord. Each car set records at many of the drag strips where they ran.

The speeds do not seem like very fast today but it was over 50 years ago.

Both Tom and I dropped out of Lakes racing after the 1953 season. I built a 1932 Ford coupe for drag racing - the Cord was too heavy. I sold the Cord to some guys who were going to race it at the Lakes. I later heard that the car was wrecked in a towing accident. Tom retired then but not before he put Howard Johansen's Marmon 16 in the Graham. It only ran for a short time. Engine problems prevented any real success with the combination.

There were a number of Cords around Southern California with changed engines - Ford flatheads, Cadillac flatheads or GMC engines. However there was almost no serious racing activity with them perhaps because Ford racing stuff was readily available while it took alot of effort to make a Cord adaptable to racing. In the 1940s there were a couple of roadsters with Cord engines in them. Years ago I did see several Cords (both converts and sedans) in this area with flathead Cadillac engines but I do not have anything on them .

There is some info in my books about my Cord and Tom's Graham ( photo in Authentic Hot Rods ).

Also attached is a photo of my present 1937 Custom Beverly sedan.

Good luck with your efforts.

Best regards - Don.

Attached Files:

22. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

It's a common color on Cords. If you have the serial numbers off the right side firewall, I may be able to trace who the current owner is. Send them by PM if you do. And feel free to post a picture of your Dad's Cord here if you have any.

23. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

I believe this car is actually a Graham with a Cord Hood and Louvers. The grille looks Lincoln and the headlights, some type of aftermarket. Thanks for posting the picture

24. RatBone

RatBone

this is a Hollywood Graham my friend Sam's , he's on the Hamb as "HollywoodGraham"

25. Weasel

Weasel

I believe this is a Beverly with an Olds 350 - car was in Indiana and sold last year to Illinois I think.

If it has a trunk or bustle back it is the Beverly and only a Cord - never a Hupmobile Skylark or Hollywood Graham.

Non Cord Convertibles: one Hupp Skylark and three Hollywood Grahams from the factory ONLY. All four are still in existence.

Here's a Cord Westchester with a 350 Chevy and 4L60T FWD conversion:

Attached Files:

26. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Thanks Ratbone.

27. Weasel

Weasel

This one is a Cord 'Armchair' Westchester - belongs to Ray Simpson who has owned it for many years.

Attached Files:

28. synthsis

synthsis

My grandfather and great grandfather had a a Supercharged Cord way back when. I don't think any pictures of it exist, but I'll see what I can find out.

29. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Hi Weasel;

Thanks for your post. The Beverly that was from Indiana may of been Terry Harringtons from Lafeyette. His was that color. I will see if I can find the pictures of it.

The other Cord you posted was built by RM engineeriing somewhere in southern California and was on ebay awhile back. It was a restored Cord by a friend of mine (now deceased) here in Minnesota. Steve purchased the Cord from A fellow in Pennsylvania and restored it himself with the help of my late father. I will try to post picture of it before it was built into the car in the pictures you posted.

As far as the Bustleback always being a Beverly, that is only partially true. It's actually the interior that tells whether it is a Beverly or Westchester. A 1936 Armchair Beverly does not have the Bustleback. I will post pictures of one.

I am familiar with the one Hupmobile Skylark Convertible and the One Hollywood Graham Convertible that were factory built and still exist. You mention 4 factory Hollywood Convertibles still exist. Can you tell me about the other 3???? Any pictures????

30. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

That's true it's a common color.
    I can't access my Photobucket account here at work, but can post a pic later.
    I also do have the serial numbers at home and can PM those to you.
    It would be cool if you can trace it.
    Thank you for offering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.