Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made A New Roadster 1/4 Panel.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Oct 13, 2010.

1. So I decided to build some new 1/4 panels for a future project and also too see if I could actually accomplish it.

4 years ago I bought a 1924 Chev roadster rear section which Mike (Earl Schieb) picked up for me and sent to me. Included was another roadster rear (this time a '25) that I couldn't afford to have sent out as well, Mike graciously stored them for 4 years. So I saw Mike was headed for Bonneville this year So a plan was hatched to finally meet at Bonneville, unfortunately Mike had to leave before I got there, so he left them with the guys at The Hot Rod Works pit, I picked them up from there and sent them home via USPS in Bishop CA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see above they are swiss cheese no hope for resurrection so I decided to use them as patterns to make a Buck to form the panels over. I had not done anything on this scale before, I have made a few bits for my current project this way, dash and side panels, but they are aluminium.

Buck coming together. I measured the panels and made cardboard patterns to see if they were correct. Once they were I cut out the shapes in 5/8" structural ply. I then started to fill the gaps with ply. Once this was done I got out the trusty 4" grinder with a 36 grit sanding disc and went to town. When the shape was roughed in I move on to a 80 grit pad to smooth it off a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's getting there. I cut an oversize piece of 20 gauge and clamped the sheet to the buck, I didn't get pics of that step:mad: (dumb arse!) and started to belt the crap out of the sheet metal with a rubber & a timber mallet. This panel will be the '24 style with a flat bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still some work to finish. A little heat a little finessing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Basically just need to roll a bead at the top and at the back. I am still deciding whether to press the recess into the fender area.

Ran the panel thru the English wheel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmmm shiny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the finished buck
    [​IMG]

a couple more shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It turned out Ok so now to the other side

Cheers
    Jimmy

3. reece

reece
    from NC

Very nice work!

4. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Jimmy, good work there. You are showing a heck of a lot of dedication. Seriously, you should make extras for sale.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

6. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

7. Adam F

Adam F

Great work there Jimmy!

8. adam401

adam401

This is awesome. I love seeing posts like this, thankyou

9. Great post Jimmy, you seem very inspired since your trip.;) That's good you're inspiring the rest of us.:D

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

11. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Great job. Thanks for posting.

12. Thank you!

Thanks AJ! Love your survivor AV8 that thing is just plain RAD! I have thought about building a few to sell at the big Toowoomba Swap meet in the new year!
    If I do it will pay for my trip next year.

Cheers!!

Haha, since I visited Bonneville it's like I'm hopped up on goofballs :eek::eek::D Is that quote PC?

Thanks Pete!

:cool:

13. awesome work Jimmy!

14. Keep at it Jimmy, looks like you're having fun, teaching yourself something and achieving car parts all at the same time! Can't beat that.

15. Thanks Ryan!

Cheers Tony. Yeah, I'm having plenty of fun learning this, one day I might be able to do it full time. It is finally sunny here we have had 3 weeks of rain which becomes a downer after a while so I'm going out to make the most of it today.
    Cheers
    Jimmy!

16. Historian, Photographer, Writer....now a Panel Beater too! Looks great, keep up the good work.

17. Thanks Rich! :eek::cool::eek:

18. freebird101

freebird101

your to good dude, I'm always amazed at the photos, skills, and amazing car you have.

19. your enthusiasm, and willingness to 'have a go' is inspiring, great to see

without wanting to sound like an ass, please do, even if you do an inverted bead roll (ie pressed with the bead facing the centreline of car, not outward as per expected), to offer a bit of bracing to the plate, and also to offer a visual element that 'looks' like the panel is factory.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

20. Haha, thanks dude!

Thanks Andrew! Nah, you don't sound like an ass, If I do make more for sale they will have all the factory holes as well as the reveal.

On my roadster the reveal is not visible because of the tyre. So this first set may be left as is, as I'm planning a S/G inspired roadster MK2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Best piece of backyard hot rodding I've seen in a long while.

Seeing all the talented people here is inspiring, truly inspiring

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  22. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Looking good Jimmy...makes me want to try too :)

23. Thanks Mark, I'm 20% talent & 80% is desire to get it done.

Hey Sondre, it really isn't that hard, seriously if I can do it anyone can!

24. hscott

hscott

25. hasty

hasty

Great work, and really helpful - thank you

26. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

27. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

28. Thank you.

No worries!

haha, you da man! Your build gave me the inspiration to give it a go.

Cheers.

Got the rest of the bucks near completed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn man, that is some great work! Even the buck is good enough to make a Woody roadster out off!
    Doc.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  30. your on a roll......great stuff, keep at it, although you might want to brace it a bit soon, plus maybe screw it to a thick piece of plywood so that it doesnt want to continually distort.

Won't be long and you'll be making a timber buck to build a set of 32 rails...;):rolleyes::D

Cheers,

Drewfus

P.S. how did the molassis go?