Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, Oct 6, 2010.

1. what can anyone tell me about these? i'm a relatively young guy (27) and i don't ever recall seeing any? i know they are rare, but does any know any numbers? anyone have pics of rodded ones?

2. Built 1936 - 1942 & 1946 - 1947. Fairly rare. Stockers had the 212 ci flathead Six. Very nice rigs. They are out there to be built, and you shouldn't have a difficult time finding one. Here is a nice '36 Terraplane I saw at a car show in Kingman, AZ in August...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cool... thanks for the info. if/when you find one do they bring similar money as a ford or chevy in the same type of condition?

4. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a 1937 Hudson Pick up built by Gordy Brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car was started from a Pick-Up, but a four door body gave up a lot of body parts to create this Chopped long door much better proportioned Pick Up. It was built to look like it could have come from the factory this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    Stogy, lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

awesome pix . 2-kool .

6. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

We've had a 46-7 since well before my time. Its one of only a few that I've ever seen in person. They look a little unproportional to me. But thats just my opinion.

7. Don't know who owns or built this one but this one has some great proportions to me.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. And a few more random Hudson pickup pics I had. The first two pics are of a '34, the next is of a '38, and the last one is a '42. These were all built by Hudson but the '34-'39 models were badged as Hudson's lower trim model-Terraplane.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Weasel

Weasel

And of course you get bragging rights if you own one when you ask the ladies if they would like to see your Big Boy....;)

10. Crestliner

Crestliner

Late 40's sold at Newport hill climb this past weekend. Sign said about 7000.00 unrestored, but decent shape. Former owner had it registed to go up hill for last time. Luck have it, he broke an axle on starting line. Not sure if new owner backed out or what.

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

These are beautiful trucks, I can't imagine anyone actually using them for what they were made for.

12. Hey Trav, my buddy Skip has one over in New Salem at Skips Restoration.

13. cool... is it a current project or what? might have to check it out sometime...

14. that's the second time that truck has broke an axle on the Newport starting line. That truck was in the movie "Hoosiers" as well.

15. Im not sure if it was restored or all original but its really nice.

16. stunning!! what a buetiful truck

17. Crestliner

Crestliner

Do you know if the new buyer went ahead and took it?

18. uc4me

uc4me

I had a 46 hudson a few years back, It was a great truck. I sold to fund another project, I miss it now and then

first pic is the before

I actually had a guy tell me I couldn't use it as a truck when I was loading up with sheetrock and insulation at home depot...I told him, its a TRUCK...its MY truck

Attached Files:

• hfront.jpg
      hfront.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
    • front.jpg
      front.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
    • rf.jpg
      rf.jpg
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
    • rr.jpg
      rr.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff likes this.
  19. uc4me... love the look of yours

20. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

the cool thing about these is you can swap in the Hudson big six 232-262-308 engine without much modifying. the steering box arm and nut get close to the block, especially on the 308 Hornet engine cause of the reinforcing ribs in the outside of the block. engine mounts fit right into where the radiator use to mount, just heat and bend the pass side engine plate some.
    Hudson made about 6-7 thousand in 46-47. there are a lot of these hot rodded with all kinds of engines in the Hudson-Essex-Terraplane club. you might want to look it up on the web because you can find the best Hudsons to have fun with there.
    thanks,
    Ralph
    aka: PaceRacer50

21. stevilknievel

stevilknievel

22. No. The people sitting behind me on the courthouse lawn were talking amongst themselves about knowing the buyer but they left and I never heard the final outcome.

23. This old thread needs a jump start, I know there's more of these cool trucks, and I wanna see em....
    Please :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. I've seen a few of the '46-'47 versions around over the years. I always felt that the proportions were a little awkward but, it looks like with a bit of gentle massaging they can be made into a cool looking (and reasonably rare) truck.

25. I like the running board accessory on this one. $_35.JPG

26. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Met some guys in Vicksburg Mississippi area a while back that needed a tailgate for one of these.They had a lot of interesting stuff.

27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty Rare..if you get a solid one under 5000.00. , If you have the opportunity , get one....earlier the better.....

28. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

. That accessory alone is worth the asking price( although date of manufacture does not appear to be hamb friendly!)

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  29. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Used to race a 32 Essex coupe (Hudson) on circle tracks that had a 308 Twin HP and pulled it with a 47 pickup that had the same engine. Was VERY competitive but learned a lesson about not having the same tow rig as the race car since if you broke TWO of the same part you were left stranded. The Essex was bad about breaking axles which had a square end to fit into the axle side gear in the carrier. Going to splines helped a lot.

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think that would be considered a 'reproduction part' and very HAMB friendly in my book!:D

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.