Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna see pics of brush painted cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. No, I have not flipped my lid. There was a time in history when cars were painted with a brush. New or old lets see em! I love me a good ol brush job (if it is done correctly ;))

My coupe was brush painted...can't really tell unless you look close in the right light

[​IMG]

-Brent-, Jet96, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  2. McFly

McFly

I think Jeremiah's roadster is brush painted...he is a Flyer on Zach's board. I'll see if I can dig up a pic for you.

Here you go:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. heres one.
    Al

Attached Files:

4. Kume

Kume

still wet

Attached Files:

5. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

[​IMG]Mine has a 50 year old brushed paint job.

Attached Files:

• q1.JPG
      q1.JPG
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    putz likes this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite the caliber that you guys are showing...My '37 Chevy coupe sat in a barn from '62 until I got it in '06. It had been repainted with a brush, and I didn't even realize it, until I started working on it a couple of years later.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it early this year due to $ issues...I had it almost ready for the road, with a 235. Drats.

Attached Files:

7. no pics, but i remember as a kid watching a guy paint my dads Woslley (spelling dont look right) grey with a brush and it was a good job.
    did a couple myself in my teenage years. as long as the paints a good consistancy and you "matt" your strokes (brush up, then down), you dont get brush marks.

8. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Brush painted about a year or so ago

[​IMG]

9. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

Here are mine brush painted

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
    brianf likes this.
  10. i just remembered i brushed my old 48. must have been around twenty years ago. dont think it looks like this now.
    [​IMG]:)

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

This one had a hand painted 'woodgrain' paintjob.

[​IMG]

bondolero and ROCKER77 like this.
  12. I'm going to brush paint my Modified using a coach painting system from these guys;

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/

It is slow drying and has an additive that lets it flow out and brush marks go whilst it's drying. It has a very high percentage of paint solids too so coverage is excellent.

It's used on all sorts of vintage machinery and I first saw it on a canal boat that truly looked like glass with a mile deep shine all over its 70 foot length. I asked where who'd done such a great spray job on something so large. The old boy who owned it said it was brush painted and put me on to Craftmaster Paints.

All the paint needed to do EVERYTHING on the car plus a set of 5 top quality Purdy paint brushes came to about £100 sterling.

Why brush paint a car I've spent so much on and worked so long on???? Well unless you spend big money on a spray job you WILL be disappointed with it. If you do spend big bucks then the car becomes all about the paint job and you live in fear of the inevitable damage.

Brush painting also means that the car does not need to leave my workshop and I have total control over what happens and when - no third party involved.

The other thing is that a couple of years ago I went to TechnoClassica at Essen and saw hundreds of immaculate classics from many eras. To my eye, the cars from the 20's and 30's that had modern 2 pack paint jobs (particularly those in metallics) simply didn't look as good as those that had been traditionally coach painted.

13. I'm pretty sure Cheech and Chong used a roller to paint their green van they drove from Mexico to the battle of the bands at the Roxy from "Up in Smoke", does that count?

Attached Files:

Evil Emery likes this.
  14. yblock292

yblock292

my 29 roadster, avatar, brushed in 1955

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm not sure if my car was entirely done with a brush but there is evidence that some of it was done that way. My '33 will see a brush job as well.

[​IMG]

16. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Heres Chris trying out my brush job. I think his knee is stuck in the paint.

Attached Files:

-Brent- and pecker head like this.
  17. My '29 was brush painted. It actually has a nice "patina" and I am going to leave it that way (at least for now).

Attached Files:

18. steve2008

steve2008
    from MI

Many boats are painted with a brush. Search boat forms for rolling and tipping method.

19. freebird101

freebird101

wow, Paint brushes? I'm amazed it would look so good

20. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Up to 1925 Cars were painted with a brush!! Then Delvilbiss came out with a spray gun!!

Car were mostly painted in Lacquer reduced up to 400% and brushed out with many coats. It took a month to paint a car. 5 coats of colour, watersand with 400 grit paper 5 more coats of colour, sand with 400 grit paper. this would be done 5 or 6 times. and the last coats would be watersanded with worn 600 and compounded smooth. If the body was two or three colours these colours were brushed!! No masking tape. Two toning brushes look like big Pinstriping brushes. I've seem them 1 1/2`` wide. Because of Production `T` Fords were painted with Japan Enamel as they could paint them with 2 or 3 coats and they`d be done. And Black dried the fastest.
    Henry could build 5 chassis`to the time it took to build 1 Body.

A Little History: The Old Tinbasher

-Brent- likes this.
  21. I was going to mention a couple English cars done this way. Over here most folks equate "brush painting" with latex house paint and Uncle Earl out back slappin a coat on old Betsy. Properly done it is an amazing paint job. And as a carpenter as well I only use Purdy brushes on my own house.

22. It's all about the Ox hair brush. My T roadster will be painted with a brush when the time comes.

23. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Couple decades ago

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

25. I painted my first vehicle with a brush, 1 quart of straight enamel on a 69 Ford pickup, that was about 1979, I even got paid to do it.

26. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Looks good from here.
    In fact looks pretty cool!

27. This is how I wanted to do my hotrod, but I pussed out and sprayed it. Next one for sure. Great idea.

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Brush painted many ions ago.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. GARY?

GARY?

Hey Chris, I brushed the T. Too dark out now to take pics. I'll get pics up asap.

shinysideup, That coupe looks great!!