Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Model Radiator Swap for a '51 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haney, Oct 5, 2010.

1. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

I just went for a ride in my '51 (just finished assembly of it 3 or so weeks ago). The radiator is leaking pretty bad, and I'm looking for a cheap replacement, are there any late model car radiators that would drop into it? The autoparts store was of no help but I thought you guys might be.

Thanks,

Haney

2. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

Crap, the cheapest radiator I've been able to find as a replacement is $400.

3. Moondog13

Moondog13

Early mustang. Real cheap, If I remember correctly, it should fit ok. I put one in a '39 Chevy I had. I had a '50 Chevy as well an they seemed about the same size...

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I got mine on my 55 fixed at a local radiator shop,the old guy has been in buisness for years.
    I dont know if you would be lucky enough to have a shop near you but it just cost me 50 bucks to have it cleaned and fixed. its worked great all summer.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thing about a "late-model" radiator, is they're crossflow, and a bit wide. That said...I still ran one for a while in my '52 Chevy I had years ago. Just wired it in, and found hoses to fit.

6. Find a good shop to recore it locally.

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

late 70s early 80s gm g body. Monti carlo cutlass v6. narrow and cheap.

8. we dont pay more than aboubt 75 bucks for a clean and repair. beat that for a replacement.

9. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

think these are big enough to handle a stock big block?

would work great for me if they could...

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    They could probably be made work but arent they a crossflow radiator?
    If you dont mind the look I would assume their would be sevral options.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I bought an aluminum radiator from Superior Radiator for my '50 for under $300. It keeps the nailhead cool on 100 degree days.

12. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

13. 48fordf-1

48fordf-1
    from Maine

I just purchased a 3 core stock location aluminum radiator for my 50 sedan delivery by Champion on ebay for just under $250.00 shipped. I have not installed it yet but it looks like it is going to bolt up no problem and seams to be well made.

14. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

go to a parts store and ask to look at their radiator catalog and look for a ford truck rad that is close to the same measurements and use it. the catalogs give dememisions. i did that for a stude truck and it worked out for me.

15. 73super

73super

Some of the radiator shops no longer fix the older radiators.. makes you wonder? I have found a wrecking yard or two in my area that repair radiators pretty darn cheap. Something you may want to look into. I think fixing your existing one would be a better answer than buying new.. but up to you.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Someone mentioned recoring it, but my radiator guy quoted me a price to do that if it was to bad to fix and it was close to 300 bucks.
    I would have bought a new one for that kind of money instead of the recore.
    *I get the feeling yours can probably be cleaned and fixed if its just leaking.*
    I would say some radiator shops would rather sell you a new one and make there money that way instead of working for it.

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

18. Yes, what was said before, a 55-6-7 most likely would fit, and you can get them cheap, new, repos. I just bought a 55 radiator and it will fit right in my son's 54 with alittle mounting bracket work. I would not think the 54 is much differant than your '51. The 55 radiator cost me $20 with no leaks and has the trans cooler.

19. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

20. grynder

grynder

Hey bro Parma radiator on State road in Parma fixed the one in my 51. That was 6 years ago so I don't remember how much but it was way cheaper than a new one.