Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Jive-Bomber
Alliance Member

Default Macaulay's Molds (Patterns & Coreboxes) Part II

As promised, here is a follow up to my Tuesday post about the patterns discovered on a dusty shelf at the Macaulay Foundry as they were going out of business around 5 years ago. Miller, Offy, Novi and...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.

Last edited by Ryan; 09-30-2010 at 09:20 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
KrisKustomPaint

Default Re: Macaulay's Molds (Patterns & Coreboxes) Part II

Well, time to start casting some offy motors.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Retro Jim
Old School HAMBer

That was truly an incredible find ! To have been there at the right time and seeing all that history being tossed away like that ! I still can't understand what they were thinking of as the owners or employees were just throwing away so much important racing history into a dumpster like that ! They are all one of a kind pieces of racing history that they could have donated to the racing museum or organization but instead they were throwing them out like yesterdays left over garbage !
I was very happy to hear that someone was there and was lucky enough to removed all that history from being thrown away and lost forever !
Do you know if he is ever going to do anything with the molds ? Does he know if he has any special molds of something really rare or what cars and racing teams they were for ? How many molds did he retrieve ?

Retro Jim
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
SAVAGE
Alliance Vendor

So Cool.. I want to see that stuff.. Amazing.. thank you for sharing
Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
fur biscuit
Old School HAMBer

so...let me see...towers, cranks, cases, cam covers...some one needs to build a the CNC program to cut them out. i want 220 Miller/Offy T gow.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
revkev6
Old School HAMBer

WOW, do you have an inventory of what he has the castings for?? I know some people who have small casting runs done for performance vw heads and blocks that might be a good resource to ask about doing these. would be cool to build one to actually race again too!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Rolleiflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fur biscuit View Post
so...let me see...towers, cranks, cases, cam covers...some one needs to build a the CNC program to cut them out. i want 220 Miller/Offy T gow.
I totally agree just use a CMM to get all the coordinates into a computer, a little ProE or MasterCam work to produce a CNC program and you'd be off and running.

I know it'd be costly, but surely with all the aftermarket automotive manufacturing guys out there one of them would want to take it on.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
gonzoengineer

These pictures make a bit more sense of it -- I'm assuming image 9 is used to make the cores.

Thanks for the pics, they are great!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
shmoozo

That "mystery wooden crankshaft" could probably be identified if its dimensions were known.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Offy 220
Grenade Inspector

Interesting article! Currently I have an Offenhauser 220 engine at Van Dyne's shop. The block was pressure-tested yesterday and tested OK. Offy 255 and 270 blocks have been reproduced but not the 220. We were discussing if it was cracked or unusable what could we do? The demand for a 220 is not as great as the 255/270 but this is a great find! Glad to know the pattern[s] survived.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
captainjunk#2
Old School HAMBer

those old patterns are just to cooool
Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
ago

It looks like the wooden pattern for the crankshaft is for a V8. 90 degree throws.

Ago
Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Jim View Post
That was truly an incredible find ! To have been there at the right time and seeing all that history being tossed away like that ! I still can't understand what they were thinking of as the owners or employees were just throwing away so much important racing history into a dumpster like that ! They are all one of a kind pieces of racing history that they could have donated to the racing museum or organization but instead they were throwing them out like yesterdays left over garbage !
I was very happy to hear that someone was there and was lucky enough to removed all that history from being thrown away and lost forever !
Do you know if he is ever going to do anything with the molds ? Does he know if he has any special molds of something really rare or what cars and racing teams they were for ? How many molds did he retrieve ?

Retro Jim
Not as rare as you think! Some very cool old Schwinn tooling became ballast for the dock at the Schwinn families summer retreat in Wisconsin. Also, LOTS of rare Halibrand molds and patterns were chucked into a bonfire on the beach back in the 80s!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
hasty

Again, a really nice thread and a fantastic inside track into a private world.
Thank you.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
yhprum
FNG

Does anyone know why they would cast a crank? Maybe to establish balancing factor or? Doesnt seem like an offy engine would live long with a cast crankshaft.
Steve
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
garysgun
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhprum View Post
Does anyone know why they would cast a crank? Maybe to establish balancing factor or? Doesnt seem like an offy engine would live long with a cast crankshaft.
Steve
I had a 67 396 Chevelle with a cast iron crank and 4 speed and beat the hell out of it and never any problems. The Offy crank could be cast in steel too. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 AM   #17
Payne

Location: At the track, in the garage, or on the road somewhere on the West Coast

awesome stuff! thanks for sharing more photos.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #18
huntswbow
FNG

That is pretty cool, those old mahogany patterns sure look different from today's standards. Those are truely a work of art to know those guys back then used mylars and templates to make these to dimensions and don't forget a shrink factor of probably .010-.013 thousands per inch.
If anyone has any questions about foundry process, reverse engineering, pattern building or CAD/CAM let me know. I have been in that game for a fair amount of time. I would be glad to lend a hand. COOL STUFF!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
KS Fats

Even the patterns for the engines are works of art; the craftsmanship that went into them was mirrored in the end product.......fats
Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
Offy 220
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjeaux bob View Post
Offy 220, What kind of car is your motor going to be run in?

Bob
Bob,
An individual on the East Coast recently found a Hilligass Sprint car [Miracle Power #1] that Tommy Hinnershitz [sp?] drove. Currently it is powered with a Flathead Ford. The car was originally built with a 220 Offy.

Finding a 220 is difficult since most if not all were built for sprint cars and last of that series was built around 1953-54. Offy 255/252/270 were used in Championship dirt cars and Indy cars up into the mid 60's.

The engine is in fairly decent shape but it will need insert bearings [current bearings are poured babbitt], pistons/rings, and a valve job [which is not an easy task, since the cylinders and head are one]. All internal parts will need to be checked for cracks and reuse.

To make one streetable, a starter/ring gear and flywheel must be made since the engines were made to be 'push started' or as with the larger engines a portable starter engaged in the front of engine was used. Ignition systems are fixed magneto, again requires work to make it 'streetable'. The fuel system is usually Hilborn mechanical injectors, again one can have the system flowed for gasoline or build an manifold and use side-draft carburators. Compression ratio must be lowered to run on pump gas which would require different pistons. Combustion chamber is 'pent-roof' design, similar to the Hemi. Many factors and time are involved but it can be done.

I know of at least three that are 'streetable'. Louie Senter's 27 T and Bob Anderson's A pickup and the 29 A on 32 rails roadster that my dad and I built. I believe Joe Gemsa built both engines for Senter and Anderson.

Thanks for your interest.
Offy 220