Register now to get rid of these ads!

cloth braided spark plug wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ASPHALT RIPPER, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ASPHALT RIPPER

ASPHALT RIPPER

im running an hei distributer and want cloth wires anyone know were to get them

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. Road Runner

Road Runner

I got mine from brillman also, but they are solid copper core.
    Not supposed to run solid core wires with HEI, because of the EMI/RMF interference that screws up the electronic ignition module.

4. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

5. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Some industrial supply and military surplus places
    sell cloth braided sleeves. Maybe you could find
    some in the right diameter to slide over the standard
    HEI plug wires.

Mart3406
    ===================

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

When did they stop using cloth wires on spark plug wires in the US? I'm guessing post WW2 maybe? My '53 Stude had cloth wires for the normal wires, but I'm guessing rubber jacketed for the spark plug wires.

7. Skirv

Skirv

I recently saw an ad for cloth covered spark plug wire that was safe for use with electronic ignitions. I made a mental note but I can't find the information now although it is available somewhere.

8. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Sacramento vintage ford has insulated cloth braided wire, look in the Model A catalog under bulk wiring. They have 10-14 gauge wire

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm also looking for some.

10. R&C did an article or two just a little while back on this- I believe the company they used was Autowire.

11. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Its the "Vintage parts" company, just order a kit!

http://www.vintagereproductionparts.com/

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

You can use The Solid Core Wires with the Pertronix Ignitor but not the Ignitor II.I always get my wires through the Hot Rod Company, he's a HAMB Vendor

13. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

Question for HOTRODSWE, are you happy with the spark plug wire from Vintage Reproductions? Is it safe for EI with synthetic core and vintage cloth braid shell? Thanks.

14. gump

gump

When did people stop using cloth braided spark plug wires?

15. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

RestorationStuff.com has it by the foot in 7mm, 9mm, 12mm in different colors and patterns

16. DGuidotti

DGuidotti

Sacramento Vintage Ford does real cloth wires, with the rajah ends and everything. They also do really nice cloth wiring harnesses as well. Do not get the wires with the lacquer/plasticky finish they are junk and will burn the points in your distributor. I have heard nothing but bad things about them just so you know.

17. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I'm running a Vertex Mag (real mag, not the pretend distributor thing) am I better off with the solid core cloth wires or the carbon noise-suppression style? I've been told that the mag's performance will drop off with "modern" wires, but that I cannot run an electronic tach with solid-core wires. My mag does not have a mechanical tach drive and that's something I would like to retain (use of a tach) so I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't it seems.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018