Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats a vinyl top cost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptopdoc, Sep 16, 2010.

1. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Im looking at buying a coupe deville that was origionally a vinyl top car. Im planning on repainting it if I buy it, but the roof has some DEEEEEP surface rust:mad: My question is, is it cost effective to replace the vinyl top, or should I bite the bullet and muriatic acid and prime the roof? I sure hate messin with that acid:cool: Iv never priced a vinyl top before so I have no idea what they cost. $250? $500? $1500?

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You gotta repair the roof no matter if you paint it or put a vinyl top back on it.

3. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

yeah, I figured I could por15 it and that would be good enough for the chicks I date.

4. cheveey57

cheveey57

Sounds like you should concentrate more on the back seat..........:rolleyes:

5. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

"I'll be in the back of my black cadillac, when Jesus finally comes to call his children home" Shooter Jennings :D

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

If you just POR-15 the roof and then vinyl it, it's going to look like crap.

7. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Really? Why is that? Im not talking about rust holes, just pits. I don't see how you could see it under the vinyl. But then again, I know nothing about vinyl tops except the fact that they cause rust. Does anyone have a guesstimate on what it costs to have one done?

8. Pits DO show under vinyl, especially if they are significant. Sand the roof smooth, like you were prepping to paint it. Prime, sand, and seal it, then install the vinyl roof. You will not regret taking the extra time to do it up right, versus quick and half-assed.

Vinyl tops do not cause rust, but they do help facilitate the start of rust if the top is allowed to deteriorate, or otherwise allowed to gather water in tears in the material, or areas where the top has shrunk up and pulled away from trim pieces

9. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Hmmmm. If thats the case, might as well paint it. Im not really a fan of vinyl tops anyway. Thanks guys

10. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Years ago my mothers car need a new vinyl. I found one guy in the phone book who said $600. "So how much if I take off the old one" sez I. "$600."

So I took off the old one, rollered white undercoat on and painted it with hardware enamel and another roller. Looked great.

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Spray the roof with "rocker panel" deadener [ a-la mercedes ] then blow some flat paint over it.
    The $500 you save could either be sent to me, or spent on the ladies.

[this is bad advice given to you by a "motor trimmer" from down under ]

12. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Por15 will be fine under vinyl, you have to lay down a layer of closed cell foam anyway, it will hide the pits. But you do need to deal with them some way either por15 or blasting or phosporic acid.

13. You should just cut the roof off.:rolleyes: