Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing/refitting a model A rear spring without removing your face?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dezaster, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dezaster

dezaster
    from u.k.

what do you use, or what have you made up to do this?

in the past ive just used some blocks under the end of the spring and the weight of the car to force the spring out to the axle mounts, but i cant do that on this one as i need to fit it to the axle first.

im thinking some kind of large A frame setup that hooks under the eye ends and then use the power of hyraulics to do the work- using a bottle jack to compress it?

it also means the spring can be chained to the A-frame for safety just in case it all lets go.

ive seen some screw thread type setups, but the force involved in these rear springs and im not sure one would be up to the job?

your thoughts/experience please!!

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i usually just put on the main leaf (only)first, then the others and cinch them down with a new, long center bolt. easy to install.
    for removal, i undo the center bolt with weight of car on it then jack up the car, and hammer the short leaves sideways, rotating them,till the pressure is off.

3. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

porto-power to the rescue!

[​IMG]

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Hook up the main leaf by itself. butterfly the other leafs, with bolt installed but loose, turn them with a hammer, then tighten center bolt. To remove, reverse that procedure.

5. I built a Spring Spreader for my Model A Spring, it works well and is safe.
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

6. Jax2A

Jax2A

To remove mine I wrapped the spring with a ratchet strap, clamped with C-clamps and then removed the center bolt. Loosened C-clamps and strap absorbs spring energy.