Register now to get rid of these ads!

Part2: Some guy's daughter looking for her daddy's old 1940 ford coupe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dianalee, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dianalee

dianalee

My name's Diana and I'm living in Washington state now but my dad grew up in Napa california where he had a 1940 Ford Coupe. My mom sent me some pictures ( now at http://www.beyondthemedia.com/coupe/index.html ) of it that she found cause I told her I want to surprise dad and find that one that got away that he's always regretted. I know he had it before 1972 and didn't have it shortly after that. I was a baby so I don't have a memory of it but boyhowdy does he ever! Not sure why he sold it but he was in the Navy & mom & dad had just moved when I was 9 mos. old. So ... short on details, but I got the license plate # CES 505 (california) and whatever they had before VIN numbers came out (the number was 185645207). I'm trying not to ask him too much about it cause mom & me are planning on surprising him with current details about the car & hopefully maybe make someone an offer they won't refuse if it's still alive somewhere, or even if it's dead somewhere, too.

After looking through thousands (and i do mean thousands) of custom rod pics and dozens of websites I found the HAMB & thought THIS would be the place to ask where in the heck to, or even how to find a specific car. To figure out if it's dead or alive & to maybe share a few smiles along the way.

Thanks to anybody for any suggestions, I tried searching for chopped & sectioned and frenched lights (and even 'welded trunk') but I'm afraid that whoever had / has the car now probably did a ton of other mods to it since the 70's... so any ideas would be really greatly appreciated :)

When & Where Last Seen:
    The car was sold to a guy who lived in or around Modesto California & in the year 1976 so far as mom can remember. He owned a body shop. If Mom remembers correctly he had an El Camino, with flames on it that he drove to meet my dad.

Last Known Mods:
    The coupe had been chopped and sectioned (but not channelled), had frenched head lights, the trunk welded (it just looked like it never had a trunk to open). Where you put the gas in didn't show (it was under the drivers rear wheel well).

It was chopped 4 inches and sectioned 5 inches. The tail lights were from a 1962 vette. The rear fenders were molded to the body.

It had a gorgeous paint job in what ended up looking like purplish-fushia-pearl. The story goes that 3 guys painted with paint called refridgerator white, non-stop for 8 hours... then it was sanded... and then added on top of that 1956 chevy burgendy laquer with double silver metalic and the same amount of gold metalic (sprayed for 24 hours non stop!) It was one of a kind. But of course, it probably has different paint now.

Thanks for the responses!

Thank you,
    Diana
    [email protected]
    http://www.beyondthemedia.com/coupe/index.html

PS. I hope this is Okay with Ryan to put this here like was suggested in the Introduce yourself thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50797 But if it's not I'm really sorry, not meaning to clutter up the forum here.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Very cool story, I read your intro this afternoon. Good luck in your quest, I have a similar one.

3. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

good luck,its possible its still out there.A car i remember from my childhood just showed up on e bay recently 28 years later,still lookin the same as i remember it and only 1 state away.ya get this info out to enough people somebody might remember it.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

T-bag: I know what your quest is, and it has nothing to do with this! Shame on you - this is a very serious deal.

Glad to see this thread on the big board, Dianalee. My intuition tells me you may be getting closer.....

5. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Awesome story & pic...I hope you are able to find it for him...It would truly be a blessing if it surfaced untouched and in its glory...Good luck & best wishes...Def. keep us posted...

Dirty

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Good luck Diana. I don't think I could be any farther away and still be in the continental U.S., but you never know. I'll keep my eyes peeled, alot of stuff seems to end up in Florida. I hope you are able to make your Dad's dream come true!

7. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

off the top of my head it looks alot like the bannana yellow (reggie jackson?)
    ford coupe they used in the movie hollywood knights. is it just me?
    FRITZ

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The rain gutter is gonna solve the mystery.

9. it does look alot like the hollywood nights car. the grill and hood are very close. i would guess that with that much body work done to it, it would still be around somewhere. great car, hope you find it.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

11. I would agree that there is a chance that car is still around given the mods. Plus, with the description of the mods, it should be recognizeable unless modded further. Did your dad do the work or a shop? If a shop did it, have you checked with them (if they are still around). Sometimes old timers keep track of their creations.

12. dianalee

dianalee

*shock* *holy cow* that is just way too amazingly coincidental *mouth wide open* *chin dropped still* Napa... 1940... Modesto area... I mean wow... THANK YOU FOR Sharing that!!! That is just way too cool & well almost like twighlight zone-ish with parallel worlds & stuff WAY out there. Amazing. I'm glad I'm not the only one & VERY happy for them too :D My dad was always showing me how to change car stuff as far back as I can remember there was always a carb or set of bolts or something on the table going through cleaning or rebuilding, he just loves cars & being the only kid I got a full 'this is how you... this is why you... over & over & over' & now there's just nothing sexier than that rumble sound even if it's just sittin' in the driveway but over course better goin' up to the crest of a hill as fast as possible to see how fast it can go before hittin' the top of the hill & cruisin down the other side (gets carried away...) after all that work of making every little bit just as shiney & smooth & tight as possible ... WaY to Go 296 v8! *smiles!*

--

I'll do my best to find out about who all did the mods, i know he was in a car club called the "Bay Area 40's" so I don't know if they all used the same shop or what, but as soon as I find out I'll post reply and will definitely keep you posted.

--

Thank you so much to everyone for the hope & good wishes too! :)

Diana
    [email protected]

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Look at the louvers and where the rain gutter ends on the Hollywood Knights car. Was the trunk welded shut on the Hollywood Knights car?

14. Clark

Clark

I know there where a lot of guys with flamed El Camino's but one comes to mind. Stan Betz. Where is he located?
    Clark

15. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

The el camino of Stan Betz' that I've seen is newer than '76(78-87) when the car was sold in Modesto. Have you tried the local car clubs in the central valley? I'm in Modesto at least once or twice a week so if something comes up and you need someone to go look at it let me know. Does anyone know when Gene Winfield left Modesto? Was that in the sixties or later? He might know some of the older body shops in the area. It's probably a long shot,but you could try contacting him at his place in Mojave, CA. Hell if this had been posted a few weeks ago I could have asked him when he was at the Fresno Autorama. Good luck and let me know if I can help any. Shoot me a PM if I can.

16. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

Oh and I just read your link and it says the car was sold in SOCAL. You might want to change that to CENCAL or NORCAL if the car was last seen in Modesto.

17. dianalee

dianalee

Uh-oh... thanks! Thank you so much. Guess I've been out of California way too long. Sure do miss it too. I'll try to figure out how to change that part fast.

I trying to get something with at least a name, a body shop name or a person name & thank you to all for that great idea, too. Mom is digging around in dusty file drawers trying to find a receipt or something anything basically. haha. She said she'll take pics of what she finds & send to me & so then I can put that online too since I have no idea what most of those things mean but may mean something to someone.

Also tonight I'm looking for pics of that Hollywood Knights car online to try and see any views of the rear. Would be just nuts if that was the same car, but strang things do happen in life... and to cars!

I'll post again just as soon as I get a darn name, sort of hard doing it long distance but trying as best as I can. Thanks thanks thanks!!

Diana
    [email protected]

18. BELLM

BELLM

In Texas you can call dept motor vehicles give them VIN # and they can tell you if currently registered or titled in Texas or has been titled Texas in last 20 yrs. Might try DMV in California, mightbe same way. That is all they will tell you though but at least you might find out if still in the state.

19. dianalee

dianalee

Oh i *think* I found a pic of the back of the (one of the or the only one, not sure) Hollywood Knights here http://www.hwknights.com/pics/albums/cruise_2002/p6290049_jpg.jpg but looks to me like the trunk was not welded.

Not sure if this is the one one though haha so still looking...

Smiles,
    Diana

EDIT: oooooh the MOVIE! sorry, I looked in the Hollywood Knights car club in Pittsburg :eek:

20. alchemy

alchemy

I think it is the Hollywood Knights car. I'd say 99 percent sure.

Look at the pics in this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44236&page=1&pp=20

Now all you have to do is find the movie production records and trace from there.

I think Street Rodder Magazine did a story on the movie back when it was new. Maybe they say where the cars were rented. Or maybe the cars real owners. Hopefully someone can find that article for you.

21. dianalee

dianalee

Thank you so much! I just called Mom and told her to get on the computer and I'm sending that picture to her from the thread, and looking for the "movie" car now. I thought wrongly that it the thought that it was in the club called "hollywood knights" in pittsburg. Never even thinking that it may actually be the movie. I will keep you updated!!! Thank you so much for your help.

I looked at that pic at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71725 and it sure looks like it to me, but I was only 3 or 4 years old & so only remember from all the pics of it dad has, so will wait for Mom to look at it.

Thank you so much for your help!
    Diana

22. dianalee

dianalee

IT'S IT IT'S IT MOM SAID AS SOON AS SHE LOOKED AT IT FOR A FEW SECONDS THATS THE ONE OMG DADS CAR GOT FAMOUS!

WOW AM DANCING HERE THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH !!!!

FOUND WOW !!! IT'S ALIVE & WELL & THAT'S SO GREAT THAT IT IS OBVIOUSLY WELL WOW TAKEN CARE OF JUST LIKE A BABY LIKE HE ALWAYS DID WOW ! COOL THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED IT WOULD BE THE ONE FROM THE MOVIE! OH THIS IS SO AMAZING !!!!!

*** HUGS EVERYONE ***

Diana

23. dianalee

dianalee

Mom/Daughter chat:

me: I POSTED ON THE BOARD
    mom: the fenders have been widened and did some
    mom: you're too fast
    me: SORRY
    me: LOL
    mom: anyway,
    mom: dad said that the did some nice work on it!
    mom: he's very pleased!
    me: *SMILES*

---

Oh that is just so cool. I have 3 sons now (2 teens) and they are just going to be amazed that's grandpas car hahaha cool ! thanks to all !

-Diana

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

So where is that car now? Anyone know?

25. dianalee

dianalee

I have the same exact question, I'm of course going to keep looking... any clues would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Diana

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Check with Hot Rod magazine. Wasn't that Project X from the 80's? If their car was in there, they may know who supplied the car.

27. alchemy

alchemy

I just emailed Chris Shelton at Street Rodder, asking him to look in the archives for any info on the car from the article. We'll see if he responds.

28. yes that is project x. super chevy magazine maybe a good place to start. and also tony nancy was in the movie. tony nancy was actually in the scene when they give the 40 to the guy going to viet nam.

29. dianalee

dianalee

Oh that's incredible, thank you so very much! I'm on the phone now with Mom and she's telling me all sorts of stories about the car and gave her the link to see the board and she says FANTASTIC and WOW. Then dad started talking... and talking...

Some guys named Rex Phillips & Texera Brothers had done the mods to it in a garage in Napa California. It was not done in a "real shop". Someone had asked who did the mods. Dad (Larry Brooks) did the detail work, the interior, got the upholstery done, painted the interior, did metal strips on the outside & finished it off.

He drove the car back to Cleveland Ohio in the Summer of '68 and the only thing that went wrong w/ it was that the distributor shaft broke. This was after when he got it, it ran, but it wasn't reliable enough to take it out of his home town. So he drove it around town for 3 weeks w/ a little notebook & wrote down all the things that went wrong. Then he took it to a place called Meyers in Napa. They kept it a month to fix everything that was wrong with it. He said every week after that he'd take it to Meyers and would pick it up on Thursday nights, bring it home, wax it, and drive it... eventually starting to drive it to Vallejo. He said that went on for 2 YEARS... Monday- Thursday the car lived in a shop with a list to fix. If it broke more than once, they modified it.

Rex Phillips & Texera Brothers worked on the car for 4 years, then put it into storage for a year. My dad worked with Rex. After 4 months of working with my Dad, Rex said to dad he had a car he may be interested in... Then Rex showed my dad. They didn't want to sell it to anyone... but he knew my Dad wouldn't wreck it.

Dad never did wreck it. One day after 9 years a gardner's (one of those kids that comes around to mow lawns) had a rake & he brushed the car w/ the rake & put 3 little scratches on the drivers fender. He was furioius. I don't know how the gardener guy lived. That was the only bad thing that ever happened to the coupe. Dad never did put a scratch, a dent, anything on it. He said I wouldn't believe the stories but the coupe always came out smelling like a rose.

Cleveland Trip... At the end of 2 years, my Mom's mom sent her away to Ohio... to get her away from my Dad (they weren't married yet). My dad then was able to drive the car back to Cleveland Ohio!!! They got married shortly after, in Reno. They're still married... 35 year anniversary!

^^ above posted in the order Mom & Dad said it...

*Smiles*
    -Diana

SPEC likes this.
  30. Ha ha ha, cool story. I have been following this one as it unfolds. I hope you locate the actual car. I am sure it is stil around somewhere. Have you ordered a copy of the movie yet? :D

Viva la HAMB!