Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some guy's daughter looking for her daddy's old 1940 ford coupe...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by dianalee, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dianalee

dianalee

Hi to all who don't find it completely hilarious to see somebody's "little girl" online trying to locate her dad's old coupe. :) Because that's what I'm trying to do.

My name's Diana and I'm living in Washington state now but my dad grew up in Napa california where he had a 1940 Ford Coupe. My mom sent me some pictures of it that she found cause I told her I want to surprise dad and find that one that got away that he's always regretted. I know he had it before 1972 and didn't have it shortly after that. I was a baby so I don't have a memory of it but boyhowdy does he ever! Not sure why he sold it but he was in the Navy & mom & dad had just moved when I was 9 mos. old. So ... short on details, but I got the license plate # and whatever they had before VIN numbers came out (185645207). I'm trying not to ask him too much about it cause mom & me are planning on surprising him with current details about the car & hopefully maybe make someone an offer they won't refuse if it's still alive somewhere, or even if it's dead somewhere, too.

After looking through thousands (and i do mean thousands) of custom rod pics and dozens of websites I found the HAMB & thought THIS would be the place to ask where in the heck to, or even how to find a specific car. To figure out if it's dead or alive & to maybe share a few smiles along the way.

Thanks to anybody for any suggestions, I tried looking for chopped & sectioned and frenched lights (and even 'welded trunk') but I'm afraid that whoever had / has the car now probably did a ton of other mods to it since the 70's... so any ideas would be really greatly appreciated :)

Thank you,
    Diana
    [email protected]
    http://www.beyondthemedia.com/coupe/index.html

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

If you have any info on the car I would start by befriending someone at a tag agency or at the DMV. Explain your situation and hopefully they will be sympathetic. If you knoew the last owner that it was sold to you could start with them as well and work backwards.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

BTW, you might post this on the main board with a link to your site. That's a really neat car. I would love to see it reunited with the original owner.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yeah, I agree - this should be on the main board. I doubt Ryan would have any problem with that. Your chances of it being seen would sure increase a LOT, and everyone would enjoy it, too. Best of luck to you on finding this awesome '40! If nothing else, you're creating some good Carma for yourselves. It'll work out however it's meant to.....

5. Sticher1

Sticher1
    from Ct

Welcome to the board D hope you find your dad's 40 good hunting

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well don't know if this is THE ONE but it certain is one that is FOR SALE and can be your Dad's. Chances of finding the exact one, AND convincing the current owner to sell it are slim. My Dad owns this one and it's top of the line and professionally built with 10,000 proven, reliable miles on it. $44,500. HAMB memeber BenD can deliver it to you with a red bow for a fair price. Let me know if you are interested and I'll email or post more photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dianalee

dianalee

Thanks to all for some good ideas! "Chances of finding the exact one, AND convincing the current owner to sell it are slim." Yeah... I agree there are so many of them around and they're modded so much ~ but I'm a patient person ;)

That's a sweet 40 hotrodladycrusr, they all look pretty much awesome, but it's absolutely got to be the same one even if it doesn't look the same, run the same or sound the same, he'll know if it wasn't the *one* I realize ya can't ever "go back" but it sure is fun trying!

I'll try to post on the main board, and get some more details about the car, at least as it was last known.

The car was sold to a guy who lived in or around Modesto California & in we think 1976. He owned a body shop. If Mom remembers correctly he had an El Camino, with flames on it that he drove to meet my dad.

The coupe had been chopped and sectioned (but not channelled), had frenched rear lights, the trunk welded (it just looked like it never had a trunk to open). Where you put the gas in didn't show (it was under the drivers rear wheel well).

It had a gorgeous paint job in what ended up looking like purplish-fushia-pearl. The story goes that 3 guys painted with paint called refridgerator white, non-stop for 8 hours... then it was sanded... and then added on top of that 1956 chevy burgendy laquer with double silver metalic and the same amount of gold metalic (sprayed for 24 hours non stop!) It was one of a kind. But of course, it probably has different paint now.

Thanks for the responses!
    Diana
    [email protected]
    http://www.beyondthemedia.com/coupe/index.html

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Hope you find it. Best of luck.