Register now to get rid of these ads!

father/daughter first car project 62 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, Aug 29, 2010.

1. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

for the past yr and half my daughter put in a lot work at school to finish early. as she says "i'm ready to start my life" so she finished high school at 16 and is starting college.

i was going to buy her a honda civic for transportation. but then she said "she didn't want a car that could get lost in the parking lot". she told me "dad, you've worked on cars everyday for over 17 yrs. let's build something together". i nearly fell off the chair. the she goes on to say "i want it low, semi gloss and that glittery stuff on the roof. i'm working her to make it shiny but we'll see. it is her car.

so we started looking for cars. something fun and practical. she wanted to skip the crawling stage and jump into something in the late 40's early 50's kustom. i said why don't we start off small and work our way up the food chain.

we came across a 62 falcon. something she can have fun with and not be scared to park at campus all day.

i wanted her to know the ins and outs of the whole car so incase anything happened she knew what to do.

where the journey begins....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first order of business. get a solid drivetrain and clean the engine comp. i picked up low miles 200 motor that was rebuilt. our race engine builder at worked checked it out and gave it a very clean bill of health. the trans is a C4 from a 66 Fairlane V8. swapped the bellhousings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

time to install the motor. i learned that it would have been easier to put the car on a lift and put the motor in from underneath. either way it's in and ready.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before she painted the trans

[​IMG]

she needs to know how much work goes into building something. so i show her how to use the machines and let her do her thing. there's only one way to learn,right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

got the trans in and all brackets painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

the interior was done when we picked up the car. so that was a plus. still needs the headliner and carpet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she wants to paint the car after the Tiffany box color with a silver flake roof. maybe throw some lace and kandy too.

can someone photshop the color on to the car. not sure if the black interior will work with such a lite paint color. thanx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Moondog13

Moondog13

This is awesome!!! Keep it up! I wish my dad would have shown me all these things! :D

4. What a story, you are truly blessed!!

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very cool. it looks like you did a great job raising that one...

6. I will be following this thread,great to see your daughter getting in there and learning and a great dad that is taking the time to teach. :) HRP

7. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

she is a great kid and has a goal in life. she has picked out her career, where she wants to be in 5 yrs and has even described in full detail the house she's going to buy. WOW! at 16 i was getting into all sorts of trouble. she made raising her easy cause she's good kid. :D

we still plan on rebuilding/updating the suspension to a 65+ mustang or falcon, disk brakes, putting 14" wheels and driving them to they fall off. oh yeah, send out the grill and bumpers to get chromed. hopefully done in time for GNRS. last yrs at the GNRS she asked if it would be done in time to hopefully try to get it in the suede palace. i told her we could try or at least park outside the palace.

the hood, doors, deck lid and fenders have beens stripped, body worked and primed. needs to be final blocked for paint. they've had plenty of time for material shrinkage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  8. brady1929

brady1929

great kid and great story

9. You, sir, are one helluva Dad.
    And she's one helluva daughter, I can only imagine how proud you are of her- she's certainly going to be part of the solution, not part of the problem...

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Wow, very Kool....

Great hearing these stories, espically regarding an intelligent young lady who has a direction and a focus.....

Congradulations to both.....

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I wish my son's would show as much interest in my project.

Here you got, a quick picture to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Great build. So nice to see a father daughter project.

13. that is cool. i will b a grand pa in dec and they say it is a good chance to b a boy . ultrasounded. any way does not matter 2 me. i will have some one to pass my car on to and learn em all i can about traditional. all ready got a baby harley shirt, and in a couple years when i retire and he or she is 4-6 years old, gonna be fun. dermott. keep it alive and pass on this great lifestyle to our young folks, great job sir. dermott.:cool::cool:

14. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Graduated high school at 16? Woah, that is amazing. I think I was 19 when I graduated. Ha!

[​IMG]

15. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

Rustyford40... thank you

thank you all. we're both excited about it.

thanx for the photoshop pic. that's the white falcon with the red scallop?

16. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Nice work man..

17. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

18. Great story here. You're a good man and it shows by what a great kid you have raised. Keep it up, we need good people.

19. Cool daughter.

Thats quite some contrast between the Falcon and the F40!

20. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

You're a good Dad.

21. big bad john

big bad john

Nice car...........you raise a good kid too....Be proud....Big Bad John:D

22. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

thanx again everyone. she makes us proud everyday that goes by. now if she could just finish getting her drivers permit she'll be even happier. haha

23. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

hahaha yeah that pics makes me chuckle from time to time. we get blank stares from customers who see the high dollar stuff. then turn to see a falcon. :p

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  24. rick finch

rick finch

Great story, subscribed.....:cool:

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very cool story here! Wish mine would get more motorvation on her Nash. Colors look sweet on that car, and it works with the interior just fine

26. What a great thread!
    You're both equally blessed.
    You for having a motivated kid with direction...she for having a patient & caring father.

27. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Yeah, it's the first picture I found when I Googled "1962 Ford Falcon"

28. Racrdad

Racrdad

Good dad + good daughter = Cooler than I can even say!!

29. Does she still have time for the guitar, Dante? As I recall, she has a natural talent for it.