Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Car" 1977 Film

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WC, Aug 25, 2010.

1. WC

WC
    BANNED

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. Moondog13

Moondog13

Barris built it. That's all I know...

3. henry29

henry29

It was built out of a 71 Lincoln continental mark III.

4. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Built by Barris.
    Sold at auction in the 80's, where is it now????? Good question.
    Lincoln Mark III, and a couple of fiberglass replicas.

5. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's that noise?

7. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Awesome movie... a buddy of mine has a giant original promo poster. The clone is looking pretty cool...

8. Blackie

Blackie

That movie made me poop my pants.

I was 7....

9. The graveyard seen was filmed on my ex inlaws property in paso robles It was filmed there as James Brolin lived just outside of town in 1977

10. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I have the 1/18 scale diecast of the car. I first saw the movie as a kid back in the late 80's

11. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

love the movie. i have a client that has two coupes he wants me to turn into "the car". don't know if he has enough money for a build like that hahaha.

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFWea3Eu97E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TFWea3Eu97E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

13. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I thought a few of the stunt mobiles were circle track cars with fiberglass bodies... I think I read that once long ago, last time I researched it.

That flick used to come on the local tv stations on the weekends... good stuff.

-W

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

that overacting at about 1:44 is AWESOME - she must have been nominated for an academy award!

"Tell me what to do baby...I...I....I...."

15. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I like the way the cop car bursts into flames just as it is rolling over, from inside. that always happens.

16. haychrishay

haychrishay

Guess I missed this one ?

17. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

my parent took me to see this when i was 5 yrs old. they tok me to see all kinda of f@cked up movies as a kid.

18. Kind of like this! :D

19. williebill

williebill

Always wanted to clone it,and use it to drive my kids to school.

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That was another one of those great car flicks that we all saw at the drive-ins ! We use to go to the drive-in every Saturday night !
    Those were the good olé days !

Retro Jim

21. deathcar77

deathcar77
    from Scotia, ny

Hey guys! This is a project I started....very involved build. My friend Anthony is building this steel-bodied CAR, and I am going to take molds from it so I can build a fiberglass replica. We are heading down to Long Island on Saturday to show it with George Barris. Right now it's in black primer, no grill or bumpers...but as you can see, it's still very menacing!

I have researched this car extensively for years....for more info and pics, check out my MySpace Page;
    www.myspace.com/thecar1977

-Matt

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  22. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

used to be a car shop in santee, california on magnolia ave across from el cajon plumbing. they had one, original or replica i do not know, they had a remote starter so they could make it start up from the office while you were looking at it, this would be early 80's i'm guessing

maybe this will jog someone's memory that's better than mine

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

pretty sure they also had a couple deathrace cars, the gator car and one with knives on the front

again, i have no idea if these were replicas or not

24. the Gater car bitchin ford !

25. loved the movie have it on dvd

26. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

27. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

In the early 80's my neighbor owned "the car" not sure if it was a prop car or the OG he said it was OG. It sure was cool seeing it cruise the high school parking lot

28. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

29. fortynut

fortynut

I was on the Universal lot when pre-production work was being done on The Car, and if I remember correctly it was built on a 3/4 ton Ford van chassis in order to make it look more menacing. I've taken a look on the internet and there aren't any good shots of it that reveal details. Anyone in the Hollywood area could find some, as there are at least two shops that specialize in lobby card photos and one sheets (also known as movie posters) on Hollywood Blvd. A better movie, to me, is Spielberg's Duel with Dennis Weaver. The truck in that one is treated with a better cinematic vision, and is more menacing, even if Dennis Weaver is a ham. But, yes, the car itself, in The Car, is one cool piece of cinematic machinery. I'd like to have one, myself, just to ride around in and 'be bad'. Just to think of who I'd scare makes me feel good all over. Maybe put it on nitrous to scoot away from the scene of the 'scare'. Ha ha ha! (echo chamber)

30. But, of course! That's why we see all those burned out hulks at the junkyard!!!