Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rolling Bones front suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by El Bombero, Aug 25, 2010.

1. El Bombero

El Bombero

I really like the front suspension on the Rolling Bones cars. I think they sit and look right. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of their set up?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Chuck Vranis did a couple of issue story of thier chassis' in Street Rodder.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I snapped some pics at the SFSS open house. However, the pics are at home. I'll post them up later if nothing comes up by then.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I saved these from 3wLarry's build:

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

More:

Attached Files:

7. El Bombero

El Bombero

It always amazes me how fast questions get answered around here. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the pictures Malcolm. I would love to see any other pictures anyone has.

You guts are GREAT!

Mike

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Another by Brian Bass that I like:
    (spring Over axle, instead of Behind, though)

Attached Files:

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Clark's:

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I always like they way their cars sit but it's also been a catch22 for me since I love short wheel bases. The RB setup extends the wheel base by 2" (or more) and I feel like it definitely works but for a '32 frame 106"-107" is the perfect wheel base, where as they roll 109.5" wheels bases I think.

I wondered how it would look to move that front crossmember back 2" and run their setup with a shorter wheel base. I know you would lose some engine space but that's what the 10% engine set back rule is for!!! See I would like to build my '32 as a mid 50's drag car and I really think the shorter wheel base fits that look much better. But that bare bones front end with no frame horns would definitely look killer if I could keep the wheel base short.

11. El Bombero

El Bombero

I agree with you. I was thinking about moving the crossmember back to keep the "Normal" wheelbase. I just don't know about engine clearance. I am thinking of using a 401-425 Nailhead and I will need all the room I can get. I will be using a Model "A" body.

Mike

12. I've done very similar. Kept the crossmember in the stock A location but Z-d 2.5" up and slid the axle forward 3" for a 106" wheel base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm going to attempt this with my '27 roadster, 101" wb...

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Olds powered? Hmmmm.... that sounds tasty.

101 wheel base with a '32 frame? That's crazy!!!

15. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

That's exactly right, the longer wheel base is weird looking. When I finish my 36, my next car will be a hotrod and that's what I want to do too. 106" wheel base with the bobbed horns and front axle behind the grill shell. Plus you can run a bitch'n un-dropped axle and still get low in the front.

Nothing but positives on this set-up!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've taken quite a few photos of other similar front suspensions...

Here ya go:
    GNRS 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IronFord likes this.
  17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool 'A' Sedan at El Mirage, June, 2009:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scoob_daddy likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's it. Flat crossmember, spring mounted to the split bones and the right spring. Easy. I learned from Dan Webb. If your gonna learn, ya may as well have a damn good teacher!!

19. Crankhole

Crankhole

What length spring is being used with this setup? Looks like it would need to be less than the usual 31" spring.

sewfast and F-6Garagerat like this.
  20. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I just got my frame from the Rolling Bones a few weeks ago, here are a few pictures of it. I can measure the front spring, I know it's a Posie's piece though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Junkbike likes this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

rolling bones hot rods are some of the best

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Another thing that works well on their cars but perhaps not on every car is the ultra low mounting of the headlights. It looks great on their cars because you have a comp coupe vibe going there but for perhaps more of the original Doan Spencer roadster should be looked upon for street hot rods and such when building. After all this car was sort of the pioneer for the Bones Setup.

[​IMG]

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I would think the fronts with the tube shocks would maybe work a little better than the lever shocks on a long trip over lots of different roads. I used levers on the 832 deuce but the arms were stock length. They were 46/48 fronts and were designed for a heavier car. I had them rebuilt to stock specs and they seemed to work fine. If I do another chassis like that I will use tubes. The bones boys have proven their design works. I would like to drive a car with the friction shock setup.

Lynspop likes this.
  24. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Here's my take on it but with a dropped axle. If I were to do it again I would go with a stock axle. I had to put some raise in my crossmember to make it high enough. I'm also running very short front tires.

I had a spring setup for spring above which I think is 31". I had a new main leaf made that was 27".

Depending on how high your motor sits. You could run your pulley above the crossmember, That way you wouldn't have to strech the WB. That's the way mine is setup.

I have to agree it's a killer looking setup with nothing past the grill shell and the spring hidden.
    [​IMG]

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I did the last deuce roadster with a 3 inch Z and the Posie super low spring over the dropped CE axle in front , and a 3 inch kick in the rear, sat really nice.

26. El Bombero

El Bombero

Great pictures. Lots of things to consider. Good thing I have a while before I start building. I have to finish up a few other projects first.

Mike

27. ratrod0

ratrod0

heres mine

Attached Files:

28. richard lechner

richard lechner
    from Ct

Hello, I am in need of info. I am rodding my 37 packard 115C business coupe. I want to put in upgraded front suspension, fat man (mustang geometry) requires the rails to be cut. How can I do it with out chopping the rails? Any thoughts? Thanks Rich

29. Your question doesn't fit well within the topic of this thread.

I have sent you a PM

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Honestly, that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

You might try starting a new thread to ask the question, or search out a thread that talks about MII front suspensions.

(edit, looks like ELpolacko beat me to it! :) )