Register now to get rid of these ads!

How long before no one cares about what we love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clean cut creations, Aug 17, 2010.

1. I was thinking.....How long will it be before absolutely no one cares at all about all this stuff that we treasure? 10 years? 20 years? 50? When will it all be "just some old junk"?

I have been hearing more and more about all of the wives and children/grandchildren selling all the stuff some guy has been hoarding for 70+ years because they couldn't care less about it. This is where all of the "parked in the '70s" BARN FINDS are coming from. The hoarders from the 50s-70s are dying or getting way old and I just hope they are passing the torch to SOMEONE before they leave this earth...I am doing my part to teach my son and others about the history of cars and what is cool, what is stupid and so on...What are any of you doing to "pass the torch"? Don't be an ass to the odd looking kid on the bike eyeballing your ride in the garage. Invite them in....teach 'em a bit about what we love..Some old bastard did that for me when I was kid.....I knew then I was hooked for life...

Stogy likes this.
  2. adamshumard

adamshumard

I'm 26 so by no means am I ready to pass the torch. But I started a car club and got a hand full on late teen early 20s kids into the old stuff. Found most of them cars. And got projects rollin.

Stogy likes this.
  3. adamshumard

adamshumard

on a side note I see alot of guys my age at shows around here with nice rides.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It'll wind down, but never die. Look hard enough, there's Roman Chariot enthusiasts out there.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In twenty years the Chinese economy will pass ours, they want all the same things we have, in the year 2030 they will be making reproductions of all the stuff we love and by then they might even be good at it, its here to stay.

6. Deuces

Deuces

I'm from 50?? miles south of Rome... I was never into chariots though.. :D

7. Right on. I love flintlocks, in the early 1800s the old timers bemoaned the arrival of the percussion gun and later in the decade the cartridge gun. But the passion for Flintlock firearms has a greater following today more than ever!

8. Deuces

Deuces

It was in the news a couple of days ago.... china's economy passed up japan..

9. Well I probably won't be here another 50 years thank God. But someone will care about our stuff until I'm gone.

My kid isn't interested in hot rods or trad rods anyway. But I'm giving my stuff to someone who does. Write a will then you can decide who gets your stuff.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. rockinokie

rockinokie

Hopefully soon. Then I can afford the cars I want and I can start hoarding them. Everyone else around me may not enjoy it, but I still will. :D

11. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

My oldest grandson tells me he wants that old orange hot rod of mine. I ask him, what kind of car is it? Its that orage one in the garage. What kind of motor does it have? Dont know, dont care. All the outher kids will think it cool when I drive it. My outher 5 grandkids feel the same way. Thats why I am thinking of selling all my cars before I check out.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't imagine what kind of shitty mess the world will be in in 50 years. I'll be 100, so it probably won't be much of a concern.

13. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

I herd that !! ahahaah

14. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

Thats how i got my grand fathers turbo buick (87) always liked riding in it as a kid always liked to work on it, learned alot about it. Now that he has passed it is mine and everytime i drive it i think of those memories

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There will always be folks who will preserve the past

16. 1966goat

1966goat

I'm 25, and I won't let this hobby die. My 13 year old nephew loves going to car shows with me, and loves riding in my car, but I haven't been able to keep his attention long enough while wrenching. I think in a few years he will actually help out.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I hope so...people started hoarding '32 roadsters right after the war. Now they're all 90 years old, and there's no one left who wants the things...hope scrap prices are high when I leave mine to the kids.

18. Fast cars will always be kool. Too often our hobby tries to exclude people that don't know jack about "our" kinda cars. If someone asks a legit question about my interests I always take the time to explain what it is that makes it kool to me. On the other hand, the more people that don't care about this stuff the more neat stuff I can afford. So if you're an old guy and you refuse to pass the torch to the next generation do us all a favor, smoke, drink, and eat lots of fried foods. Win Win

19. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

hahahah...........My wife doesn't want my things NOW!!

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Just enjoying it now and not too worried about how it winds up 10, 20 - 50 years down the road. Just hoping we still have a decent world to live in and leave our kids. If old cars are a part of that, fine, but by no means the biggest concern I have.

21. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It's never going to die. Things that last 100+ years aren't a fad.

22. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

X2!:mad::(

23. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

The old guys should take note and pass some of their treasures onto the younger generation.

ie: me.

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

There are still guys out there (not old guys, either) that beat off over Model T speed equipment, so I wouldn't look for any big downturn in the next couple weeks.

25. xix32

xix32

you can "pass the torch" only to have a pail of water thrown on it.
    [​IMG]
    when my grandfather had this "T" speedster in 1927 he didn't even need a drivers license. i've been told it wasn't untill 1934 IL. required one.
    my dad has told me about when he was a teenager right after WW2 he didn't know what it would take to have your license suspended since he didn't know anybody who had. they just eventually got tired of paying tickets. i think we were all attracted to cars for the sense of freedom it gave us. now that sense of freedom is being eroded away by the ever increasing regulatory enviorment. this i quite apparent when you look at the declining pilot population in america for the same ( only worse ) reasons.
    and yes i was a third generation pilot who owned and flew airplanes because it was fun... it's not fun anymore, when the license you've worked so hard for can be taken from you so easily.

26. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Same with training , riding, showing American Saddlebred horses. Dates back to civil war times when the breed was first introduced. I enjoy it more than ever today. Folks predicted horses would die out after invention of I.C. Engines. NOPE the Hot Rod/ Car Hobby will never die. Right now it is simply unafordable for many young Guys. The torch will pass itself , soon as prices stabilize.

27. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Frankly, your best bet is to enjoy it now with all your enthuisiasm and interest. Because there may not be a tomorrow. James Dean said it best, "live each day like it's your last".

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my thoughts : no offense : i think the car market will take a BIG hit when we (baby boomers) are gone . i hope not , but its my thoughts ! ............... steve

29. 61bone

61bone

Will the interest die? No, at least not for a very long time or until getting something to eat becomes main concern. The eating thing could start tomorrow if we're not careful.
    Will the hobby die? More than likely it will be legislated out of existence.

30. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Thank You... we need young guy like you to Spread the Gospel of Hot Rods & Customs World Wide ...