Register now to get rid of these ads!

History August 14, 1945 - VJ Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To all that served and died for are country. Thank You

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow.
    Thank you for posting this, Ryan. I can only imagine the overwhelming joy that was felt throughout the U.S. on that day.

...And I must admit it brought tears to my eyes, as my younger sister heads off to war. Just last week she left and will still spend approx. three months in the U.S. for trainging, then the rest of her one-year assignment will be spent in Afghanistan.

My late grandpa joined the Army during WWII and spent time in Europe. He met a wonderful girl while in England and they ended up getting married. She moved over here to the states shortly after he returned home.
    My Grandma, still with the Engilsh accent and all, is doing well these days and lives just about two hours north of me. This is a good reminder that I need to go visit her soon.

A big Thank You to all that have served, and are currently serving our country,
    Nick

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. Great video. Where has all the patriotism gone? (don't answer that)

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

Very nice. Thank you to the Greatest Generation and everyone who's served this country.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

7. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

They were very brave and patriotic. I am constantly amazed by the current generation of young men and women volunteering to go to the asshole of the world to protect us from harm. I have spoken to many of them, while in the construction trades, and they are humble as all get out. I have been extremely lucky to speak to WWII vets as well and they are equally quiet about their experiences. That clip, Ryan, has some of the best soundtrack attached of any of the clips that you have shown. Thank you

Joe

8. llonning

llonning

A lot of my customers were in WW2. A retired Lt. Colonel was even in the Bataan Death March,( may he rest in peace). Most of them were Navy, and could tell you stories. I have much respect for them and what they did and went through.

It is sad that todays generations, for the most part, don't realize what the world went through between 1939 and 1945.

Ryan, this is very fitting for this day.

To all those that have served and are serving.
    Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do.

9. God Bless those that fought for the freedoms we inherit.

10. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

We owe them all a great debt, THANKS!

Nick.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It was an Honor for all those men and women to serve their country and to protect their country for which they so greatly loved ! I also thank all the men and women that served in all the wars to protect all of us here in the United States and to keep our Freedom !
    I want to also thank all the men and women that are still protecting our country from all the hatred and violence that so many other countries have in an every day occurrence . If not for all the men and women that we have still have today and from yesteryears fighting to keep our freedom we would not be here today reading this on August 14th , 2010 !

To all those who have given their time and many lives ,
    I THANK YOU & GOD BLESS YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE & STILL ARE DOING TO KEEP US & OUR COUNTRY FREE !

Retro Jim

12. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

WOW. Thanks Ryan.
    But more importantly, Thanks to ALL who have served and ALL who are serving our country. I hope one day all Americans can have a moment like that, again. Slim

13. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for posting this Ryan. A day to celebrate indeed. I just forwarded it to my Grandfather.... fought in WWII 1st infantry division. My hero.

14. Svenny

Svenny

My brother-in -law's Dad "flew the Hump" in Burma. He was a crew member, not a pilot. Talked to him a little about it, but like most of his generation, he wasn't one to discuss it much outside of his war buddies.

God Bless the men and women who served in WWII, there's not many left........

15. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

16. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Thanks, and I really mean it. My dad was on a boat, waiting to invade Japan. It would have been ghastly. Thanks to all who have served our country and given me and my family a lifetime of opportunity and security. We owe you.

17. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Thanks Ryan for posting this. A great day indeed. Its sad how a lot of people today wont remember or even care about the significance of today. My grandfather fought in WWII. He made sure that his grandkids observed this day and would never forget.

18. choprodinc

choprodinc

from we who have served, it was "our honor" to have served this loving and giving country. I thank God everyday to have been born an American and enjoy the life and freedom this country has granted me. The United States of America is still the greatest country on this earth and we will overcome any obsticles and crush any adversity we will be faced with. We are on the side of rightousness and good always overcomes evil. God Bless America!!! Thanx Ryan

19. Gaters

Gaters

Great one! Thanks for the reminder Ryan. I immediately called my Uncle who served in the South Pacific during that time. He had forgotten this was VJ Day and told me now he has a reason to celebrate today. What a generation to cherish, celebrate and thank for our days ahead. It should reminder us/our generation needs to protect the Freedom they bleed, died and sacrificed for.

Proud American!

20. Muttley

Muttley

21. 270283

I wonder if the folks depicted above would believe how the tables have turned in this country.

22. Cheers to my Uncles and my (X) wife's Grandfather who served in the Pacific Theater!

Of 6 that had served... two are still alive!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree 100%

24. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Thanks Ryan,
    Good wake up call!

25. Von Franco

Von Franco

Thanks Ryan for such a great post. Brought back memories of my dad in the service.

[​IMG]

26. AXEDLID

AXEDLID

good bless all of our service men and women , my dad was a tank driver in wwII , fought on the front lines of france......rip dad !..........i love you always ! . my wifes grandfather at the age of 86 and still going strong with his wife , was a tail gunner on a b24 called full house , shot down over holland , pow for 9 months was liberated at the end of the war . walked the europe 800 mile death march . i cant remember the name for this , since there were several of them . god bless america and to my brothers and sisters !

27. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Thanks for posting Ryan, great video. I'm going to have to get my grandpas photo album from when he was in the Pacific.

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very cool!! Thanks for posting! Both of My Grandads fought in the Pacific. One was a SeaBee and the other was on the USS Pollux. They lost 5 brothers in the European Theater between the two of them.
    THANK YOUFOR ALL THAT HAVE SERVED AND ARE NOW SERVING!!!!
    HAPPY VJ DAY!!!!!!!

29. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

A very nice film. I was 9 years old when the War ended and went to downtown Portland, Oregon in our family 1936 Chevrolet. It was very similiar to the film. People we didn't know were riding on the running boards. The streets were full of people. I had 5 uncles who were WWII veterans.
    It was nice hearing Jimmy Durante again, also.
    When I was old enough I joined the Air Force and saw many of the Pacific Islands first hand. Some had not yet been cleaned up from the war damage.

30. deto

deto

Thank you to one of the greatest generations of our country.