Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 El Camino - What will it sell for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Aug 9, 2010.

1. 300 miles away in BFE Alabama....

I don't need another project & don't really want to waste a day & $150 in fuel but I kinda hate to not go. They are in an estate auction with a bunch of other junk cars. NOTHING on the list that even looks decent. I don't know any more about them than what I'm posting here.

Any thoughts on what these El Caminos might sell for at auction? I want the blue one.

TIA, JH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. davidh73750

davidh73750

59's followed by 60s are really cool. All seem to have rust in floor boards. I'd say $500 tops and $350 on the red one. Thats around here. I know cars like this go for more up north but there's travel expense etc. Im going after a 59 wagon

Attached Files:

3. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I sold one 2 years ago in almost the same condition .. with a 6 in it .. 1000.00 cdn. except the glass was good in mine.. glass is alot of money for those up here..

4. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Keep us posted, even if you don't buy it would be cool to see what they sold for.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The tail lights WILL BE very difficult to find IMHO.

Might better get BOTH ...
    To make ONE out of the pair

And still need a ton of stuff :D :D

But they are cool as anything on the highway from the 50's.

Randy

6. fbama73

fbama73

Buy 'em both! When our house sells, we're headed your way- I'll give you a hand turning them into one good one!

7. indyjps

indyjps

hope you own a welder, every 59 elko Ive seen is badly rusted, even the nice ones

8. davidh73750

davidh73750

the part where the roof comes to the edge, along the lip seems to rust on those, thats the intimidating rust to me.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Rear glass is impo$$$ible to find.

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I heart those cars, I'd love to have one (a mild custom one ;)) someday.

I'd say go for it, you never know what adventure lies ahead!

11. Squablow

Squablow

The last couple auctions I've gone to in my area, stuff like that has been going really, really cheap. If they were within a couple hundred miles of me, I'd go and buy them both. I'd grab what I need for the nicer one off of the shittier one, and I'd bet any money that I could part out what's left of the rougher car for what you'll pay for the pair at an auction, including hauling expenses.

With some effort put in, it's like getting a free '59 El Camino. Can't beat that. I doubt you'll have to bid more than $1000 combined to get both.

12. Dammit.....

Now I feel like I HAVE to go.

JH

13. You know I've got two that look just like that Jim.......and I'm closer

14. toml24

toml24

Using the 2010 Barrett-Jackson Orange County auction as a yardstick, could either of those El Camino's be made street driveable for about $10,000-$12,000 (labor and parts combined)? You might make a very small profit at auction. They both would look good on the road again.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Save me the grille guard on the red one.

16. Damn those cars look thrashed, and the cost to replace the glass and tailights and hood will be some coin. I wouldn't give more than $500 for either one

17. davidh73750

davidh73750

The voices say you must go, then they say to drop in a healthy 348 with 3 deuces and a muncie 4 speed, tuck and roll with pleats, candy top with a satin bottom of your flavor

18. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

I would take them both,,,, hard to come by. save them

19. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

yeah $500 tops...those things are trashed..You can find the rear glass all day..I think there is a hamber selling em' for $200..

20. Dr59Elky

Dr59Elky
    from Wisconsin

The 1960 is more rare that the 1959 because of production numbers. Rear tail light lenses are re-popped, however tail light trim bezels for the '59 delivery wagon and El Camino are tough to find. Midwest El Caminos rust away because of the heavy use of salt in the past. The red one above has the front Chrome Accessory Grill guard, an expensive piece to replace. These examples above appear to be worth saving because the '59s are getting harder to find. Good luck with your decision.

DocElky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  21. Alright. I'm going.

Wish me luck.

JH

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

out here, every estate sale i go to, the cars go for way more then they are worth..

23. fag. sent you my number....if you pay too much, don't cry to me:D....I'll sell you some parts---how bout that?;)

24. hemifarris

hemifarris

Rear glass is the easiest to find. They sell ALL El Camino glass now. In fact, one of the alliance vendors, Bob's Classic Auto Glass, sells it. I just put all new glass in mine, only because I wanted tinted glass. My car had clear... Click to enlarge...twice for full size..Mike

Attached Files:

25. Toner283

Toner283

Like a couple of others have said, glass is easy it is all available repro as well as the taillight lenses. the trim on the other hand is elky/brookwood (2dr) wagon only for some of it. IMO, you could buy them both & make $$ parting them out if they are too far gone to save.

On that note, if you do buy them to part them out I would be interested in buying some parts.

26. Earl Schieb, I'm going to call you tonight.... We can discuss.

HemiFarris, how did you drop that car?!?!?!? I love it.

JH

27. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Harrison. McGaughys, in California makes 2" dropped spindles and 2.5 " lower springs. Unfortunately my buddy cut the front coils to lower it a little more. I just had my spring shop raise it back up in front exactly 2". It sits great and rides very smoothly......P.S......McGaughy's doesn't sell to the public. You need to phone them and ask who they recommend buying their parts from. My front spindles came with a disc brake kit and I bought the rear springs from Summit, using the McGaughy part number.........
    Their website is www.mcgaughys.com Nice people.

Attached Files:

28. New on ebay 325.00

29. Hemifaris, I love that truck. Thanks for the info. If this happens, I'll be torn between bagging it or going with something like yours....

Anyone interested in the red oxide truck minus the rear window & bumper overrrider? Those are the only 2 parts off that truck that I want. If I win it, it will be located in central Georgia. I could store it there until the end of the year or so as long as it was paid for.

TIA, JH

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  30. Weasel

Weasel

Things must have changed since I did mine in the early nineties - it was tough to find parts for them then, but I guess that now that the U.S. has sold it's manufacturing soul to China, a lot of stuff has now been repopped.....