Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I traded Half my car for some tools! Was it a good idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam M., Aug 2, 2010.

1. So a guy needs a Model A Chassis RIGHT NOW and asks me if I knew where I could find one....well he talked me right out of mine! I trded the rolling chassis, and a pair of Model A axles that were laying around. The wheels were not included either!

I am collecting the parts for my car and that kinda sets me back. I also need the tools to build the car (and other things), so now I'm looking for another frame! This hobby keeps my mind busy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I think you did pretty well.

3. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I think you did good, hell build your own frame ..look on craigs list there are always a few on there ...

4. F&J

F&J

excellent trade IMO . Lots more in those tools than a common chassis...plus you will use them for decades.

never saw a brake like that. Some of those short reach Pextos will come in handy..you'll see :) ..Those toools will make you start trying some intricate parts

5. chubbie

chubbie

I've had whole cars that i woulda traded for a wrench:D

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a cool trade. I'd love to have some of those, myself. The only one I wouldn't care to own is the Blast Vac. I borrowed a buddy's one time and I didn't think it was worth messing with. Nice concept, but it doesn't work that well, IMO.

Like they said, you can always build or buy a frame.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like others have said, more than fair swap. Find a set of 32 rails and build your new chassis.

Doc.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Good tools for some "old junky car parts"
    The guy didnt even keep his blast cabinet long enough to clean up his new parts.

9. el shad

el shad

You won. I would have done the same. Model A rails are fairly cheap as you probably already know, but I agree with the others. Build your own rails.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

All that you need for a model a frame Is 2x3 steel front crossmember and back Thats it ,You can build a frame for under 600 and if you can find some one with an A make a template and make your own....Too much work to box and make rear kick up.Its fun building your ownframe and doesnt take that long .....

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i think you did good. Gotts to have a place to put your stuff though.
    good job.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hope those tools aren't HOT?? Only an idiot would have made that trade, looks like about $2K+ worth of tools

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks like you got the good end of the deal. I agree with Chadilac though

14. Actually he's a man in his 70's that is in poor health, can't use these tools anymore, needed an original chassis to sell a woody wagon body he had built. The guy buying the body wanted it on a stock chassis, and gave a deposit and a deadline because he is moving cross country and liked the body. I was the only guy he could think of. All 3 of us win!

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I bought one just like it here at Princess Auto. 36" Brake, 16 ga cap.

Harbor freight has them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch-metal-brake-with-stand-91012.html

Attached Files:

16. You came out with the better deal and he ended up with what he needed, thats a win/win. Invite the old guy over when you get to working on yours, he might be a wealth of information. Those old guys are dying off and with them goes a bunch of knowledge, most of which you don't get from books.

17. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

I think you made out good idea...

18. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Deal was certainly in your favor> You did just fine.

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looks like a good deal to me.

20. screwball

screwball

Is that the same friend of yours that was supposed to show up at my place on Friday after I dug my frame out of the back for him. NICE. Glade you did good though. Maybe he will be polite enough to call me back to tell me thanks but he bought one. Yeah right.

21. Yup same guy. He also said he was still going to buy the frame for something else, and a banger motor that I have. We'll see....

22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

nice selection of tools. you're fine.