Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 4,488 miles to get this JUNKER ?? ( my new project )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

With BOTH my 32 Fords finished and done ... :rolleyes: I have been trying to find another project. I have been trying to buy a local, older restoration 1940 Ford business Standard coupe for about 9 months with no luck. I would like a 1957 300 series 2 door FORD ... also with no luck. So I asked here on the HAMB for education and information about the 48/49/50/Mercury M-47 pickups. Here is the thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429240&showall=1

I found a 1949 M-47 pickup I could buy in Baldur, Manitoba Canada. That is a haul from my home in South Carolina ... but after talking with Rick Johnson ( owner of LoBoys ) ... I felt good enough about his descriptions and photos to go to Baldur, Manitoba Canada and buy the 1949 Mercury M-47 pickup.

So the wife and loaded up and drove to Canada.
    Here we are entering Canada at the border.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is LOBOYS shop in Baldur, Manitoba

[​IMG]

Here is the what I bought :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is getting on the trailer ...

[​IMG]

And here it is on the trailer outside Baldur, Manitoba headed to the border to cross over back into the States. :0

[​IMG]

I would like to say that Rick Johnson is a great man to work with. His word is good and he does what he says he will do. His description was truthful and honest. He is a good man to deal with on old cars. He has a lot of HAMB friendly vehicles for sale at decent prices.

Here is his web page.

http://www.loboys.com/

End of phase I story

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

WIth the Mercury loaded up we headed back into the states.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

We went to Sturgis South Dakota and the Sturgis Harley Davidson dealer. The big HD Rally was just before getting started but there were LOTS of HD's and folks already in town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the JUNKER on the trailer in front of the HD dealership :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After hanging around Sturgis SD for awhile we headed to Mount Rushmore,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the truck in front of the entrance to Mount Rushmore

[​IMG]

We left there and motored over to see the Crazy Horse Memorial.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Crazy Horse

[​IMG]

And the JUNKER @ Crazy Horse

[​IMG]

We then headed out and went to the world famous WALL DRUGS in Wall SD. Neat place really with good ice cream.

[​IMG]

After just going to Los Angeles last month ( almost 7,000 miles ) the wife and I wanted to head SOUTH and sleep in our bed ... so we headed HOME. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010

5. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Am I missing something ????????

6. flynstone

flynstone

does it have the merc tailgate?? ive been lookin for one a long time.......

7. Yes, patience :)

8. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

What awesome Sanford and Son...esque patina. Did you have any paperwork hassle importing this vehicle into the U.S.?

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Not really ... Loboys had already spoke with Customs and I had all the necessary paperwork. About 30 minutes or so at the Canadian Border re-entering the States ... on the US side and I was cleared.

We crossed the Border twice ( once in and once out ) and crossed states lines 12 times. We took photos of all the states up and headed home after South Dakota but I am sure that state lines signs are not that intering to look at on the HAMB

I already have gathered up some parts and pieces for the Mercury ... because the sale was been a 3 month ongoing project and I told very few folks about my purchase. I wanted to get it home before I said anything. A few years ago I told a few folks about the 32 3W I was buying and the deal fell thru ... SO I was not going to JINX this deal :)

I already have a 2001 Ford Explorer rear end with disc brakes, 3.73 gear posi and 31 spline axles. I have a hood with 70 louvers in it ... and I have a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 IFS complete for the Mercury.

10. lewislynn

lewislynn

Honest to god. I'm 63 yrs old and those are the best photographs of Mt. Rushmore I've ever seen...Seriously!

I've never seen them from that far back and I've never seen the tailings below (if that's what they're called)

Thanks for that.

11. billys54

billys54

12. ScottV

ScottV

C:cool::cool:L ... I like F-1's and LOVE M-1's Look forward to the build thread.

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

NO ...

But ... :D I knew that and had already found and bought one before I left the South headed to Canada.

I have actually found two ... and have not yet bought the other one. ... yet ...
    I have alrady gotten the better one of the two available. :D

I should have extra one in a few weeks. What do you have to trade ??
    I need the signal lenses and better signal housings for mine among a LOT of other M-47 stuff.

I normally only buy NICE stuff with good sheet metal but the M-47's are so rare and unusual I had to buy one in not as good a condition as I would have liked. :( ADD In the fact that unlike 32 Ford stuff ... I have no stash of parts to pick and choose from to make the truck better ... the truck is a BEATER .. and will stay that way.

I do not want a real nice truck ( you know ... BLACK paint with RED steel rims ) ... :D :D but I do want to make it better than it currently is.

[​IMG]

Randy

14. gotta love the merc pickups... did it come with the mercury tail gate? 4k miles with a sweet pickup in your rear view...

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Randy, Thats a nice GLASS F-1, especially all the Patina!!!!----I noticed the firewall tag : WESCOTT MFG. Boring, Or.-----HA!
    How many Mexican restaurants between S.C. & Canada??????????????-------Don

16. JCW2110

JCW2110

Not only did you get a cool truck, You also got a cool vacation out of it too. Driving through all those states and even going to another country..The sites you must have seen!! I would love to do that someday.:)

17. Did you put the bite on Tman while you were in Rapid City area of SD?

He's a congenial host and has the skinny on a lot of car stuff in the area.

Cool truck. It will be interesting to watch your progress on this one.

And, knowing the level of your builds, I'm anxious to see your definition of "beater".

18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Cool find and cool pics too. Are you in upstate SC by chance?

19. Wall drugstore is quit a place :cool: coffie is still only 1cent , thanks for the pics.

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that Candian Border is a trip. Looks like a drive thru bank. Great to see so much work done on Crazy Horse, I was there this time 10 years ago for Sturgis. Loved the hashbrowns at County :( :)

21. turdytoo

turdytoo

How far was the round trip? Really just a great excuse for a road trip, if previous projects are any indication, this will be a great project. Good luck with the build.

22. Randy,,I'm glad everything worked out and you and Ouidasue had a great time going to Canada and all your side trips coming back home.

I look forward to seeing the progress reports on the "Junker."

Remember the ol saying,,it's Neater in a Beater?

And a louvered hood,,I'm liking that.HRP

23. vert1940

vert1940

cool trip randy,took that same exact route on our way to spokane,wash twice.could not ask for better scenery.did you go through the badlands too?.love the merc pick up

24. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Cool looking Merc truck... Good story with your post... good distance to get your new prize... I know all about that... I'm Getting ready for another round the country adventure haul in the morning! Take care!
    racinman Rick

25. Black with red wheels. I'd have never guessed........

26. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You know I have no problems with the Wescott cars ... or other fiberglass cars ... :) but you also KNOW this old junker is 61 years old. NO MEXICAN restaurants ... between here and there. Ouidasue and I will go to our favorite Mexican place tonight :D

I live near Ft. Jackson ... in the middle of the state. BUT ... I was born in Woodruff SC. My folks lived next door to the funeral home on Main street headed out of town. I have kin folks all around the area.

27. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Cool! I'm in the greenpond area, If your ever in the area give me a shout.

28. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Ya know what ,it,s the trip not the destination looks like ya did good and had a wonderful trip, and thats what its all about, my many trips over the years I think about now the cars , oh well

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Small world, Rick and I used to date. In fact I came the closest to marrying him over anyone else I've seriously dated the last 20 years. Could yoyu see me living in Baulder though???:D He's a AWESOME guy as you found out.

I'm sure he took you out to his "field of dreams" right?? I wonder if that Buick convertible was still there.

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D :D

Yes, small world.

I tried to make my trip thread post as interesting as yours on your trips ...
    But let's face it ...

NOBODY ... can touch the # 1 trip thread poster ( hotrodladycrusr )
    :D :) :p