Register now to get rid of these ads!

August Banger Meet means...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Bangers at Bonneville!

Clark Devey's awesome little Banger motor just arrived from the UK.

We have it bolted into the chassis and a team of like minded gear heads are working diligently on getting the thing together and running!

Sorry for the crapy pic... and apologies to starting it early (I figure it's August SOMEWHERE!)

But this is a pretty cool deal and an experience of a life time for Clark, myself and the Livermore Bomb Factory.

See you on the salt!

[​IMG]

2. Good luck sam!

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Good luck at the sodium speedway, nice car!

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I hope the salt gods are on your side... best of luck to you guys take lots of pics for us guys that have to work:D

5. Looking awesome! Hope to see you all out on the salt, I look forward to seeing it in the tin and hear it run!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck to you! Post lots of phots for us that still have Bonneville on our Bucket List.

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe we do something with a better set of camera lenses. looking good Sam!

8. noboD

noboD

More/better pics please.

9. Any other Banger news out there?

Better pics to come... we're actually too damn busy to take them, but Fur Biscuit is making the treck over probably this week to snap some... I bet he'll share!

Sam

10. Danget you were a day early. I just got in from the dirt track and you already posted yesterday morning..................... Well anyone message Flaternie yet with the link connections for last month and all the other months yet? Will anyone answer my question from a few minutes ago on last months thread? Tune in later today and we'll see. :)

Awesome Sam can't wait to hear about performance out there on the salt. Nothing like a mad thrash to acchieve a goal. Its the ultimate thrill of being in the racing world to just make the show then perform better then expected underdog style. Anxious to see more from Fur Biscuit.-Weeks

Your signature kicks ass by the way.

"Traditional Hot Rodding is a state of mind"

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Guys when your knuckls are bleeding in the middle of the night
    When you grab a bite of a half eaten cold burger

DO KNOW:

There are guys just like you all doing the same thing getting ready

That's what makes B'ville ......... a lot of tired guys all collected in the same spot ....... trying to go really quick

I remember putting the car on the trailer one morning not knowing how or if we could get it off at the salt. We did and set a new record first lap!

Good luck God speed :)

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bump banger Auot!

14. Gaters

Gaters

My banger is sidelined because of my association CC&Rs, disturbing the peace. I went to a formal meeting where I thought I'd squared it away describing my situation and the historical condition of my roadster with the council only to receive a follow up letter weeks later that said I had 30 days to alter my Hot Rod or I would be fined for the next disturbance call they received. I have issues with their calling me out when there are Harley's, Rice Burners and other finished Street Rods that run the same streets that are just as loud or louder. I was so mad after I received that letter I went out and started my hot rod in the garage and revved the shit out it!! I thought better of that after I did it and didn't want to be a dick to my immediate neighbors. I don't know...it's a pisser and bums me out.

15. trestles126

trestles126

I have a 39merc tranny backed up to my banger....gettin ready ready to do some fluid changes what is everyone running? banjo rearend as well 600w off snyders?

16. 90 weight! If it drips from the shafts you might try 140. This per Joe Mac

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  17. The last question you asked was one in the thread about 2 port head gaskets. They do require a "special" 2 port gasket but in old literature there is a statement some wheres regarding the use of a regular headgasket with an insert available from one of the gasket manufacturers.

18. My banger is getting naked.

I'm removing the fenders to re-work them. Going to run her with out for a while. I still need to reverse eye the rear spring and remove a few leafs. I found some wiring issues while do all this so, I'm going to sort all that shit out now as well. Should be back on the road by the end of the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Finally, got the thing started and managed an (Illegal) short run out, runs as rough as Shit........considering putting the stock carb back on just to get it on the road.........rear lights and E brake are first on the list (legal requirement here).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. trestles126

trestles126

any particular brand or vendor?

21. ebtm3

ebtm3

If it drips from the shafts, replace the seals INSIDE the outboard end of the axle tubes--many guys don't know there there.

Herb Kephart

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Sweet looked car... Sorry to hear you live near A:eek::eek: HOLES. Do you think if you run a baffle it would make every one happy? You get the look and it wont be so loud. I run mine open header with a turn down but my engine is mostly stock so I made my turn down out of 1 7/8 tube it gives it some back presser so it runs better on the street and I can almost hear myself think:D If I take the wife for a ride I modified the stock muffler to work with the header It looks like shit sounds even worse But it runs better as fare as low end power and we can talk:rolleyes: blaaa blaaa blaaa
    I wish you luck

23. Any good brand should work, I mean Pep Boys, Autozone? What's closer?. You are not working on a swiss watch.

24. Well, Herb, I was speaking in reference to the trans. Main concern was leaving spots on the floor. If you can see gear lube dripping from the backing plates you do have a problem. The stock model "A" rear axles have a fiber washer gasket/seal under the axle washer to stop the grease from dripping but a lot of them are left out.

25. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Howdy guys, new to the banger ranks, could someone give me a simple "lets see if this thing runs" wiring diagram. I know I am missing the condenser and have one ordered. Would like to hear it cackle before I start work on it.

See related thread here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496480

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If gear oil gets on the brakes the linings swell....... not good!

I have cut the bottom lip off the rear brake backing plates to let the oil go somewhere other that the lining. We also reversed the self adjusters so the brakes tightened up as you dove into a corner.

OK bedtime in Poland........

27. Good night Bluto!

28. ebtm3

ebtm3

Sorry Bill-- I had rear ends on the mind when writing about cars--must try to concentrate more-----

Herb

29. No problem, I'm a T and A man myself! At least I still look but, damn, I can't remember why!

Self adjusters! What the hell is that?

30. Hot dam!

I'm looking at my engine in your garage on the other side of the world!