Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to set pinion angle ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Tips please -on setting pinion angle (Shoebox Ford , Mustang Rear, V-8 Swap)

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pinion angles have been discussed before. I won't play search police but it would help. Remember that pinion angle is the relationship of the axle and driveshaft, not the axle to the ground, a common misconception. I'm pretty sure there's a shoebox example on board. Leaf springs like 5-7deg difference at the pinion. We can safely assume your car's lowered, if your motor's at 4deg and the shaft is straight back out of the trans your axle wants to be 1-3deg down at the pinion. For setting it up like in axle swaps you need wedge plates under the spring pads.

3. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

This should help you out also.

Attached Files:

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

5. oj

oj

Leafspring? Down a couple of degrees irregardless of tranny. You point that pinion up and the car won't hookup on velcro. I think modern mustangs are flat or pointed up and thats all they can do is spin tires - go to the drags and watch them try to launch. They're spinning so bad you could walk beside them and talk to the driver.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Would you care to try to explain the physics of that claim? Perhaps it has nothing to do with a Mustang's pinion angle but other geometry or characteristics of the Mustang suspension..........

It's very difficult to imagine how the pinion's position would have any bearing on the traction of the tires

Ray

7. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Don't modern Mustangs have rear coils?