Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed????? anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodspeedco, Jul 27, 2010.

1. hotrodspeedco

hotrodspeedco
    from richmond

Felt like venting a little, ordered a couple of master rebuild kits for my 94s from vintage speed. Ordered some stuff in the past with not really any problems, Been trying to get these carbs to run right for a while and have tried several combos of jets and power valves, etc. I told him I needed #48s, which he said no problem. I got my kits in yesterday and started rebuilding them today only to find that he grinded the numbers off the jets. Couldnt figure out why he would do that until after I had already rebuilt the first one. As I was looking at the second set of jets, I noticed he didnt grind the numbers off all the way. There was still a six left on it. Which leads me to believe that he didnt have 48s in stock and drilled out the 46s to make 48s. Which may have been fine except the hole is bigger then the 51s Ive already tried. That really kinda pisses me off. Been reading a bunch of negitave commentary about him here, guess I'll add to it. Its really a shame, for such a cool website and wide array of old hot rod stuff, to find this many people who wont buy anything there anymore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I've been buying parts from him and his service is to notch, delivery quick, and his advice has been a great help.

jim h

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

you think thats bad you should deal with his wife on the phone.

4. trad27

trad27

Been thinking about getting a adapter from them, interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

5. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I don't know about your issues, but have been buying from him for years and have never had any issues......................have talked to to he and his wife without any problems. Have a friend who buys a lot of stuff from on a monthly basis and have not heard of any issues...............................yes, sometimes it is hard to get ahold of him, but other than that I'd buy from him again.

IMHO

6. About 20% of the folks here have had good dealings, the other 80% would drive up on the side walk to run over him. You decide.

7. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I'm in the 80th percentile

8. worn shoes

worn shoes

Sorry to hear about your experience. I just dealt with them a couple of weeks ago and WOW. They are not very customer friendly even when I dropped $520 bucks. The parts came broken and they made it seem like I was the one who opened the package and did it. Then they blamed UPS but that's hard to believe since the box they sent the stuff in had been used several times before and was already beat to shit.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Charlie, Vintage Speed is OK with me. I've been buy from Charlie for years and have had only one issue and he resolved it quickly..He will call me on the phone and make sure it's what I want or that he is out of stock..
    No issues with Vintage Speed..His parts are quality and correct..He is the only one that I know of that sells the correct power valve for the 94s..
    Duane.

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

Never had an issue with him.Back in the early years he would get really behind on some orders.But I havent had any issues at all lately.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LMAO, yeah really...

me too, for about 5 or 6 years I was in the other 20%, then it went to hell in a handbasket...

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dealt with them once. I ordered some small parts for some 94's. A "pair" of jets in an envelope consisted of a 48 and a 51, one of them obviously used. Tried to call, no answer. Sent an email; no response. Since it was only about $30 worth of parts, I decided it would be easier on all involved to forget they even exist.:(

13. titus

titus

Hes a pain in the ass, My friend Stacie was building her 31 roadster and needed 6 of the 90 dagree carb banjo fittings, so she emailed him thru eba asking about buying 6 and combining shipping but no reply, so he got his number off the website and called him and asked him if she could by six and combine shipping, he told her no and to watch ebay and she could purchase them all seperatly on there, so she ended up pay for shipping each one individualy and he didnt relist them soon enough so we only had 2 on the car for the show, hes just a plain asshole, im glad i hadnt called him because his ear would have hurt after i was done!

Dickhead!

JEFF

14. Hightone111

Hightone111

Bummer, I've been drooling over some of their parts...think I'll look elsewhere

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

All im going to say is i was promised something that never got done..waited...waited...called, called..decided F-it..and went somewhere else,
    was told it would be available and i would be the first to have it on my car..A finned fuel block to match some of my other finned shit..
    he still hasent made it yet and its been over 6 months ,,, or maybe longer IDK..i gave the fuck up.
    oh and that one that answers the phone..wow..needs some lessons in dealing with customers and the public , thats for sure..

now this is the first time i have come on here to bitch about a place or person in this business..so, you do the math.

just glad i didnt lay out coin for this " special block".. the cost for the lip service alone, would have put me over budget

EDIT: i went back on his site just now, curious to see if he ever did make the Fuel Block he promised me...You guessed it...NOPE!
    glad i didnt wait , hell people die in less time pal!...maybe thats what he was banking on?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

I placed an order with him for about $150.00 bucks, said he would send it out. Waited two weeks, nothing. Had to deal with Mrs. Thing on the phone, she said it was a small order, so they had not had time to mail it out.....but I did notice they had time to charge my credit card. Never again.

17. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Been there with Vintage Speed concerning parts for my Stromberg carbs, i.e; ground off jet numbers and emulsion tubes that had obviously been re-used. This time around I searched on this board for members who rebuild and supply parts for Stromberg carbs. I used Uncle Max who I can recommend highly, although I'm not sure he does 94's. A quick search of the HAMB would provide some answers. I have never had a problem with any of the alliance venders or members who provide services. An added bonus is that they all freely contribute good information and helpful tips to this board. Best of all, you get a discount.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Just remember , they are not the only one around to get parts from ! They use to be good and now it seems as the years go by , so does his reliability ! As for the women that answers the phone , well....I just have to be polite and not cuss her out . I wouldn't buy anything from them again if they were the last place on earth ! As for their carb adapters , they are very nice and all you have to do is wait till the next swap meet and look for one there so you don't have to deal with them .
    Now as for the one where he spent $150 and that's not a big order ? Where I come from every damn dollar is a big order because it's the little guys that make you big !
    I had a business at one time and no matter what the customer spent , I always said Thank You and that small sale was just as important as the big one !
    It's really sad to see what Charlie and his wife have done to a once great business . I really think they should just sell the business to someone that really wants it .

It's sad but you can buy any of those parts from someone else !

Retro Jim

19. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

As much as things change, some things stay the same. I was told to avoid them three years ago.

20. Labold

Labold

I had good luck with my initial big order but was never able to get ahold of anyone for a small order (linkage or something ?) after that. It has been a few years ago.
    I tried contacting them again on another project and never received a call or email back so I gave up on them. I will only call so many times trying to give someone my money/business.
    Customer service was not very good but I was happy with the carbs I bought.

21. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My opinion only... It seems that when you worship at the Altar of The Almighty Dollar, you sometimes become the victim of - for no better words - a Spiritual Bypass. Sometimes it seems when you're focused on $$$, and nothing else, I guess it becomes easy to lie to people, make them feel like you're doing them a huge favor, sell crap parts, forget entirely about customer service, raise your prices without warning and charge excessive shipping fees.
    This is just my take on it, after 3 or 4 purchases went in the toilet...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  22. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

No.... Don't! Just Don't!

23. kfleck

kfleck
    from spokane

24. LowFat48

LowFat48

Cool sign Max......

25. hotrodspeedco

hotrodspeedco
    from richmond

Looks like I just found a new "add to favorites; thanks!!

26. Pete

Pete

He really is an ass..........

I ordered 6 master 97 kits and some fittings, he charged my credit card but didn't ship them until about a week later. He raved about his NEW no leak Teflon jet cap gaskets then sends me all different kits, one with the new gaskets, a few with the old gaskets and a few with no gaskets(incomplete kits). I e-mailed him about 3 times with no response then called him....no answer. I finally sent him a not so nice e-mail about his poor cust. service....and guess what, he e-mailed me back, all in CAPS! He was very unprofessional and rude.

I will be honest though, I did place a few more orders and everything was OK....but he's still as ass.

Pete-

27. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Out of all the car related "professional" businesses I've delt with in the past 25 years, Price's is the only one I will publically bash. Do a search of the MANY previous posts and you will see all the reasons to stay away.

28. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

I sent him 6 carbs to go through, and ordered all the goodies to set it all up. Weeks and weeks went by. Finally I tried to get in touch by phone and email. Never got a response. I thought he went out of business when I finally got through to him. He called ME a psycho for leaving messages. I canceled the order and had a few choice words for him. Biggest asshole I've ever dealt with in the car biz. What a lousy attitude.

29. worn shoes

worn shoes

They did the same thing to me but with red bold lettering

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

He told me the part i ordered got lost with UPS,UPS didnt have any record of them sending anything to my door.....he still kept the money didnt he.I was down $30 and no part..total douche.If he was quality he would at least be a vendor on here,knowing that bussiness would be great with all these people.but nope,thats because he is a shitty business man and rip off merchant